• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help, advice, guidance...

Beef

Mar 26, 2005
✟8,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a Christian, and study the word when anxious, go to certain verses, etc...but if at all possible, I would like some advice from some of you. Strangely enough, if i have the typical bug/cold/flu etc...I get so anxious that something worse is going to happen, i cant relax, and the stress is unreal. I have ocd and was diagnosed over 10 years ago. It seems lately I have been going through this often. I have gotten a little bug a couple times this winter, and now my sinuses are acting up with a sensetive ear. Well the doc perscribed a z pak to fight it(didnt go to the docs, he was kind enough to call it in, being it was late friday)...none the less i am just full of worry. If you read my signature you would laugh that i get like this, but i have been petrified of going to the docs for over 10 years. It is really hard on me and wears me down, and makes me very stressed, anxious, etc...I have suffered with panic attacks before as well. I just have to wonder what the underlying theme is..for example am i really so bothered and worrisome because i read about the absolute worst case scenario of an ear infection that happens in children, or is it something underlying...It seems this winter, that i am almost waiting for something to happen to make me worry. I know all the verses about not worrying, anxiety, etc...and i try to adhere to them...but it just defeats me. Im on paxil, and it does work, but I still get like this...and i dont think its because i have missed a day of taking the meds. Can someone relate to this? Can anyone give me any advice that would help me? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

K

koshka

I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a traumatic accident. I wonder if the fear you are describing is related to experiencing such a trauma somehow? However, whether it is or it isn't seeing a psychologist may be really helpful - if you can see a Christian one even better, but even if not a regular psychologist may be able to help you explore what you are thinking and feeling in a safe way so that you can see where things are going wrong. (I'm only just getting help from a Christian psychologist now after being stuck for about 17 years but its really helping - hoping and praying that you find the right help or right person).

Upvote 0

GadFly

May 11, 2008
North Eastern Kentucky
✟18,173.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a Christian, and study the word when anxious, go to certain verses, etc...but if at all possible, I would like some advice from some of you. Strangely enough, if i have the typical bug/cold/flu etc...I get so anxious that something worse is going to happen, i cant relax, and the stress is unreal. I have ocd and was diagnosed over 10 years ago. It seems lately I have been going through this often. I have gotten a little bug a couple times this winter, and now my sinuses are acting up with a sensetive ear. Well the doc perscribed a z pak to fight it(didnt go to the docs, he was kind enough to call it in, being it was late friday)...none the less i am just full of worry. If you read my signature you would laugh that i get like this, but i have been petrified of going to the docs for over 10 years. It is really hard on me and wears me down, and makes me very stressed, anxious, etc...I have suffered with panic attacks before as well. I just have to wonder what the underlying theme is..for example am i really so bothered and worrisome because i read about the absolute worst case scenario of an ear infection that happens in children, or is it something underlying...It seems this winter, that i am almost waiting for something to happen to make me worry. I know all the verses about not worrying, anxiety, etc...and i try to adhere to them...but it just defeats me. Im on paxil, and it does work, but I still get like this...and i dont think its because i have missed a day of taking the meds. Can someone relate to this? Can anyone give me any advice that would help me? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

If paxil works, something else is needed also or why else do you get this way. Therapy is good. It boils down to how you think about things. Much of stress and worry is due to how you think. Argue with your fears and you will find that you can talk yourself out of being depressed. Medicw helps but you must help the medicine. Only you can change who and what you think. There are a lot of crazy people out there who medicine will not help. If you see yourself as always depressed or will soon be depressed, that is likely what will happen to you. It is not all about manning up but that does help.

Get tough a little at a time. It is a big jump. You have been hopless for a long time but start practicing your skills as a overcomer and before you know it, you will be the top man on the mountain, even if it is only your mountain.

Upvote 0