Hebrews 8 shows us that Christ gave the TEN Commandments - Christ's Commandments

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1689 Baptist Confession of Faith, Chapter 19, Paragraph 6 (in modern English):​

6. True believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be justified or condemned by it.13 Yet it is very useful to them and to others as a rule of life that informs them of the will of God and their duty. It directs and obligates them to live according to its precepts. It also exposes the sinful corruptions of their natures, hearts, and lives. As they examine themselves in light of the law, they come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred of sin,14 along with a clearer view of their need for Christ and the perfection of his obedience. The law is also useful to the regenerate to restrain their corruptions because it forbids sin. The punishment threatened by the law shows them what even their sins deserve and what troubles they may expect in this life due to their sin, even though they are freed from the curse and undiminished severity of it. The promises of the law likewise show them God’s approval of obedience and the blessings they may expect when they keep it, even though these blessings are not owed to them by the law as a covenant of works. If people do good and refrain from evil because the law encourages good and discourages evil, that does not indicate that they are under the law and not under grace.15

13 Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:16; Romans 8:1; 10:4.
14 Romans 3:20; 7:7, etc;
15 Romans 6:12–14; 1 Peter 3:8–13.

(Just to clarify a point raised earlier about what it says and does not say about the 10 Commandments.)

(Just to clarify a point raised earlier about what The Baptist Confession of Faith sectn 19 says and does not say about the 10_
19. The Law of God

1. God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

2. The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the ten commandments, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

3. Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

4. To the people of Israel He also gave sundry judicial laws which expired when they ceased to be a nation. These are not binding on anyone now by virtue of their being part of the laws of that nation, but their general equity continue to be applicable in modern times.

5. The moral law ever binds to obedience everyone, justified people as well as others, and not only out of regard for the matter contained in it, but also out of respect for the authority of God the Creator, Who gave the law. Nor does Christ in the Gospel dissolve this law in any way, but He considerably strengthens our obligation to obey it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How can Gentiles "be left off the hook" when we were never on the "hook"?
Until you read Rom 3:
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God ;20 because by the works of the Law none of mankind will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes knowledge of sin.... Rom 3:23 "ALL have sinned"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's revisit this text from Romans 7:

But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the [h]Spirit and not in oldness of the letter

We are being asked to believe that when Paul says we are released from the Law, he means that we still have to follow it,
Paul said "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
Paul said only the lost "do not submit to the Law of God - neither indeed CAN they" Rom 8:4-9
Paul said "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law." Rom 3:31

And in Rom 7:
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? Far from it! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead. ...12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

13 Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? Far from it! Rather it was sin,

14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am fleshly, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For I do not understand what I am doing; for I am not practicing what I want to do, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 However, if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, that the Law is good. 17 But now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I do the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully agree with the law of God in the inner person, 23 but I see a different law in the parts of my body waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin, the law which is in my body’s parts.

====================

So then in the opening of chapter 7 Paul references the rulership of the Law that condemns the sinner to death and that the person cannot escape that sentence of death except in the Gospel where we die to sin (as Paul reminds us in Rom 6 which is the CONTEXT for Rom 7)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is the problem: you appear to believe it is acceptable to change the meaning of words and concepts in order to force-fit this text into your position.
The problem is that I read scripture and pay attention to details in the parts you keep skimming/skipping/omitting in your posts.

Paul said only the lost "do not submit to the Law of God - neither indeed CAN they" Rom 8:4-9
Paul said "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law." Rom 3:31

Including major sections of Rom 7 that you keep omitting as noted in my prior posts repeatedly and then again here #503

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
By the way, I am not in the least impressed as to what any of the other denominations think and I wonder why you would ever quote most of the other denominations
I am just pointing that some Bible details are soooo incredibly obvious that BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate affirm them.

Is it any wonder that almost every Christian denomination on Earth affirms the continued *"unit of TEN" for Christians today?

BOTH sides admit to it. (A level of objectivity that you seem to find no value in having - but of course you can choose as you wish)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let me remind readers of what Paul actually writes:

But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound,
Paul says ALL mankind is condemned by the "Law" - all are under the Law and condemned as sinners Rom 3:19-23 this is irrefutable

Paul says that when we come to Christ we experience the death that the law demands by accepting Christ's death in our place and experiencing the New Birth - with death to self.

And Paul says -

Including major sections of Rom 7 that you keep omitting as noted in my prior posts repeatedly and then again here #503

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Until you read Rom 3:
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God ;20 because by the works of the Law none of mankind will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes knowledge of sin.... Rom 3:23 "ALL have sinned"
Let us analyze your answer. We know that the Law Paul was referring to was the one given at Sinai, 613 COMMANDS of the Sinai covenant. The Israelites needed the knowledge because they were not taught morality as slaves in Egypt. In His dealings with those He led out of Egypt He was not concerned with the rest of His creation, so the commands He gave them were for Israel only. Verse 19 tells that to the reader. Gentile nations were never invited to take part in His agreement with the Israelites. The Law speaks to only those who are under the Law. ROMANS 3 DOESN'T CHANGE THAT FACT BOB. YOUR "UNTIL YOU READ ROM 3" IS A BUNCH OF NONSENSE in trying to nullify the fact that Gentiles were never under the Law. Your third grade educated prophet has taught you something that is not true. Because of her you believe somehow that you too are somehow subject to the Laws given only to Israel. And the fact is Jesus never went around trying to convince Gentiles to observe old covenant rituals. What gives you that right?

Egypt

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am just pointing that some Bible details are soooo incredibly obvious that BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate affirm them.

Is it any wonder that almost every Christian denomination on Earth affirms the continued *"unit of TEN" for Christians today?

BOTH sides admit to it. (A level of objectivity that you seem to find no value in having - but of course you can choose as you wish)
By saying "both sides" do you mean Adventists and other Christian denominations? Does that somehow make it full proof like 2 plus 2 is four? Should I believe it because both sides believe it? Of course, that is not in the least true. I would say that is a pretty dumb way to prove anything.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
By saying "both sides" do you mean Adventists and other Christian denominations?

For anyone awake and paying attention to people who post in "Sabbath and the Law" it is pretty obvious that more people are posting in favor of the Bible Sabbath - than just "Adventists".

Are you now saying you are new to this forum area Bob?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How can Gentiles "be left off the hook" when we were never on the "hook"?
Until you read Rom 3:
Let us analyze your answer.
Ok - I like this... Lets do!

We know that the Law Paul was referring to was the one given at Sinai, 613 COMMANDS of the Sinai covenant.
No doubt Paul is referring to the actual Law of God known to his readers at the time he is writing his letter to the Romans. Both Jews and gentiles. And that most certainly includes the what they would find when reading what Christ calls "all the scriptures" in Luke chapter 24 as quoted by Luke.

So then that SAME chapter - Rom 3:19-20 points out that this LAW of God known by those who read scripture - condemns the entire world "every mouth shut" for "all have sinned" Rom 3:23.. Therefore all need the gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums