Heaven: Is it a SPIRITUAL REALM?.. NOT the equal/opposite of "Hell"/"Lake of Fire": A SPIRITUAL REAL

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heaven: A SPIRITUAL REALM?.. NOT the equal/opposite of "Hell"/"Lake of Fire": A SPIRITUAL REALM?

NOTE: all citations are NASB

out of heaven...Hebrew 8064....shamayim / shamayin (Aramaic) ...as the abode of God

Genesis 19:24
Then the LORD rained on Sodom and Gomorrah
brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven,

Genesis 22:15
Then "the angel of the LORD" called to Abraham a second time from heaven,

Daniel 6:27
“He delivers and rescues and performs signs and wonders
In heaven and on earth,
Who has also delivered Daniel from the power of the lions.”

of heaven ...Greek 3772....ouranos...
realm "above" the "sidereal heavens",
the seat of order of things eternal (spiritual)
and consummately perfect where God and other heavenly spirit beings dwell

Matthew 5:12
“Rejoice and be glad,
for your reward in heaven is great;
for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 6:9
“Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.

Mark 16:19
So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them,
He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.

Luke 3:21-2..The TRI-UNE GOD (see also: Matthew 3:16-18)
Now when all the people were baptized,
Jesus (God the Son) was also baptized, and
while He was praying, heaven was opened,
and (God) the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form LIKE a dove,
and a voice (God the Father) came out of heaven,
“You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased.”

1 Peter 3:22
who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven,
after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him.

Revelation 19:1 [ The Fourfold Hallelujah ]
After these things I heard something like a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, “Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God;

JESUS: ON HEAVEN / KINGDOM of Heaven / Kingdom of God: A SPIRITUAL REALM !

Matthew 4:17 (SEE ALSO: Mark 1)
From that time Jesus began to preach and say,
“Repent (turn to God), for the "kingdom of heaven" (Jesus the Divine Messiah) is at hand.”

Matthew 11:25 [Jesus: Come to Me ]
At that time Jesus said,
“I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and
have revealed them to infants.

Matthew 13:11
Jesus answered them, “To you (believers) it has been granted to know the mysteries of the "kingdom of heaven",
but to them (UNbelievers)it has not been granted.

Matthew 13:24 [Tares among Wheat]
Jesus presented another parable to them, saying,
“The "kingdom of heaven" may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.

Matthew 16:1 [Pharisees Test Jesus ]
The Pharisees and Sadducees came up, and testing Jesus,
they asked Him to show them a sign from heaven.

Matthew 26:64 Jesus said to him (illegal trial before Caiaphas)
“You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you,
hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and
coming on the clouds of heaven.” (second Coming)

Matthew 28:18
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying,
“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Mark 16:19
So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them,
He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.

John 6:42 They (Jewish enquirers) were saying,
“Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know?
How does He now say, ‘I have come down out of heaven’?”

John 17:1 [The High Priestly Prayer] Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said,
“Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You,

Heavens to Betsy..a Spiritual Realm? HELL: YES!

Whatcha think? ...or do you?

• Useful
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Based Revelation 21:1-3, a new heaven will come down to a new earth, where Christians will dwell forever with God and each other. It will be a material realm, but certainly different (and better) than anything we can now experience.

• Agree
Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
NEW Heaven + NEW Earth + NEW Jerusalem: PROPHECIES

All citations NASB.

Isaiah 65:17 [ New Heavens and a New Earth ]
“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.

Isaiah 66:22
“For just as the new heavens and the new earth Which I make will endure before Me,”
declares the Lord, “So your offspring and your name will endure.

2 Peter 3:10, 13 [ A New Heaven and New Earth ]
But "the day of the Lord" will come like a thief,
in which the heavens (atmosphere?) will pass away with a roar and the elements (chemical materials) will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its "works" will be burned up...
But according to His PROMISE, we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

Revelation 21:1 [ The New Heaven and New Earth ] Then I saw a NEW heaven and a NEW earth;
for the FIRST heaven and the FIRST earth passed away, (OUR PLANET EARTH NOW?!)
and there is no longer any sea.

2 And I saw the holy city, NEW Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a "bride" (THE "CHURCH") adorned for her husband.(Jesus)
3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne (GOD THE FATHER?), saying,
“Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and
He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,
4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes;
and there will no longer be any death;
there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the "first things" (THE WORLD {cosmos], THE FLESH{sin nature}, and THE DEVIL) have passed away.”

The New Jerusalem

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the "holy city", (NEW) Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God.

then...>A detailed and vivid description of "The Holy City", verses 11-26

27 and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it,
but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s "book of life".(true belivers)

SOOO ...let's talk about the PRESENT: "the FIRST heaven and the FIRST earth"

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
POST #5 "You'll find throwing a plethora of scriptures at people with no set organization does little to bolster an argument or doctrine."

argument and doctrine:

1. Does "heaven" exist NOW? 3 "Heavens"??
2. Where is it?
3. Is it a purely SPIRITUAL REALM...or something else?
4. When the body/soul combo of believers "dies", where does their SPIRIT go?
5. Is "Hell" the equal and opposite of "Heaven"? Define each with Scripture.
6. Are these "realms" mentioned in the Nicene/Apostle's Creeds??

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bye the bye, my copy + paste of Scripture is ONE shy of a "plethora".

plethora (NOUN)
1.a large or excessive amount of (something)
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries · Oxford University Press · Translation by Bing Translator

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
POST #5 "You'll find throwing a plethora of scriptures at people with no set organization does little to bolster an argument or doctrine."

argument and doctrine:

1. Does "heaven" exist NOW? 3 "Heavens"??
2. Where is it?
3. Is it a purely SPIRITUAL REALM...or something else?
4. When the body/soul combo of believers "dies", where does their SPIRIT go?
5. Is "Hell" the equal and opposite of "Heaven"? Define each with Scripture.
6. Are these "realms" mentioned in the Nicene/Apostle's Creeds??

Good questions to ponder. As for question 4, when a believer dies now, his soul goes to heaven. His body awaits the resurrection at the return of Christ (1 Thessalonians 4:16).

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Post #9: "...As for question 4, when a believer dies now, his soul goes to heaven. His body awaits the resurrection at the return of Christ (1 Thessalonians 4:16)."

A slightly different view.

JESUS' DEATH...a BELIEVER'S DEATH...then what?

Let's try it this way....

Jesus the God-Man had a "composition" generally like ours (BUT unique / only begotten)....

He was divided into 3 parts:
1. SPIRIT = (God "Image" and Person of the God Head...pneuma),
2. SOUL = (~personality interacting with body....psyche) and
3. BODY = (~man's machine, controlled by brain/CNS...sarx)

Step #1 ...
Jesus surrendered his SPIRIT on the Cross...before the end of "Day" 1
Luke 23:46
Jesus called out with a loud voice,
“Father, into your hands I commit my SPIRIT.”

Step #2
When he had said this, he breathed his last. (Body/Soul combo bled to death / "died" without decay)

Step #3
"Dead" Body/Soul combo mummified and entombed.......before the end of "Day" 1

Step#4
Luke 23:43...Jesus: 1 of 7 sayings from the Cross..
Jesus answered him (thief) , "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in Paradise."...(on the cross)..."Days before Resurrection!
...Jesus was in "Paradise" between the time of Body/Soul combo "death" and TRANSFORMATION/ "resurrection" into His SPECIAL and unique "spirit-body".

Jesus' goes to the "Paradise" side of "Abraham's Bosom" to free the spirits of believers, who were awaiting their Divine Messsiah, into heaven.
The unbelievers in "Hades" were released for eternal judgment. Jesus fulfilled/abolished "Abraham's Bosom" which no longer exists on this side of the Cross. SEE: Luke 19:16-31...NOT a parable!

1 Peter 3: 18-19 (NIV with my comments)
(Jesus the Christ's BODY/SOUL combo) being put to death in the flesh, but made (spiritually) alive by (God) the (Holy) Spirit,
19 by whom also He (resurrected Jesus) went and preached to (~released) the spirits (souls) in prison,...
("Paradise" side of "Abraham's Bosom")

"Paradise"* - The ACTUAL spiritual abode was: "angel populated", "comfort(ing)", containing secret "inexpressible things". etc.

Now let's do the same analysis for a BELIEVER, one truly "John 3"/"Ephesians 2 "saved".

First, Many scholars do not know the author of Ecclesiastes and whether he was the "wisest Man".
Here is my favorite snippet therefrom:

Ecclesiastes 12...Remember God in Your Youth: AT DEATH...
7 then the dust (body/soul combo) will return to the earth as it was, (Genesis 2:7)
and the spirit (breath of life) will return to God who gave it. (Genesis 1:26)
8 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “all is vanity!”

Second, Let's define "DEAD"!
What part of Man "dies" when his blood pump and brain bucket stop?
What part of Man "lives" beyond "death"? (if any?)

What I choose to be BELIEVE for believers:
" To be absent from the BODY/SOUL combo (death on earth) is to be present (spiritually) with the TRI-UNE GOD (eternal life in heavenly realms)".
...a paraphrase of Paul, emphasizing differences in BODY / SPIRIT.

2 Corinthians 5: 1-15 (NIV)...Our Heavenly Dwelling
8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer
to be away from the BODY and at home (HEAVEN) with the Lord.(SPIRITUAL PRESENCE)

1 Peter 3: 18-19 (NIV with my comments)
(Jesus the Christ's BODY) being put to death in the flesh, but made (spiritually) alive by (God) the (Holy) Spirit,
19 by whom also He (resurrected Jesus) went and preached to (~release) the spirits (souls) in prison,...
("Paradise" side of "Abraham's Bosom")

For the THREE parts of Man,
1. SPIRIT = pneuma
2. SOUL = psyche
3. BODY = sarx, soma
SEE:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 (NIV)
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through.
May your whole SPIRIT, SOUL and BODY be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 (NASB) ....difference in SOUL and SPIRIT
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the DIVISION of SOUL and SPIRIT,
of both joints and marrow, (BODY)
and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.(spiritual conscience)

Luke 16: 19-31...Remember Jesus' teaching on Jewish Tradition of after-life...Jesus' descent to set the captives free...
TWO unseen and separated spiritual PLACES for the SPIRITS of the DEAD...
"Paradise"* + "Hades"** = "Abraham's Busom"

Bodies (sarx / flesh) are mortal. They die a natural death when the heart / brain fail.

Souls (psyches) are mortal and have a mystical union with Body. They die a natural death with the Body.

Spirits (pnuema) are immortal, in the image and likeness of the God of pure and perfect spirit.

The Body / Soul combo "houses" the Spirit.

All SPIRITS will be JUDGED by God for their acts / omissions while in the Body / Soul.
Believers: ONLY for spiritual "works"
UNbelievers: their lack of SPIRITUAL POSITION in Christ AND their thoughts/deeds =>SENTENCING

1 Corinthians 6:19
Or do you not know that your BODY (/soul COMBO) is a temple of (God) the Holy Spirit who is in you,
whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

Sorry for being verbose, BUT "it is complicated".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Heaven and Hell will both a a physical, material space. Scripture talks about Creation being restored and Heaven and Earth will become one.

Since believe hat hell is a place and that in that place people will be roasted alive forever in a lake of fire-then how come it says that hell itself is hurled into the lake of fire and how is it that hell can experience a second death?

Revelation 20:14

King James Bible
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Also, please explain why these other following translations render the word as the grave and sheol instead of hell.

New Living Translation
Then death and the grave were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And Death and Sheol were cast into The Lake of Fire- this which is the second death.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bye the bye, my copy + paste of Scripture is ONE shy of a "plethora".

plethora (NOUN)
1.a large or excessive amount of (something)