Not open for further replies.

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Two observations:

1. There is a site on the web, probably one of many, devoted to pictures of actresses who have been filmed either nude or at least bare breasted. The list includes such well regarded women as Goldi Hawn, Susan Sarandon, Glen Close, Cameron Diaz, Mia farrow, Helen Hunt, Holly Hunter, Helen Mirren, Gweneth Paltrow, Molly Ringwald, Meg Ryan, Anna Paquin, Sissy Spacek, and Reese Witherspoon.

2.There is also a site, again, no doubt not the only one on the web, devoted to images of nude/bare breasted female beach goers in the USA. These are not models posing for some media, but average people. Moreover, they appear to be doing so at numerous public beaches.

My questions: Do these behaviors represent a healthy or unhealthy change in our perception of the human body? And, does it represent an inevitable embracement of the European attitude, where such displays are so commonplace that they are no longer noteworthy?

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
When I was in college in the early 70s at a very good school one of the girls I knew had a nude phote of her in her dorm room. Very tasteful and honestly quite beautiful. It showed her and her happy yet with depth. Her breast was visible, yet it was not why one (or at least one with any taste) would like the photo.

I somehow think those sites are something quite different. Breasts for breasts sake.

Over concern with naked bodies is a bad sign. That the over concern exists is far worse than anything 'bad' about the sites.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Honestly, it depends how the women are depicted.

If the images are just a celebration of the human body, that's one thing. If they are intended to be titillating, they are probably objectifying.

One of my favourite films is Witness, with Harrison Ford. There is a scene in the film when Ford accidentally encounters the lead actress, Kelly McGillis, bare-breasted while washing. The moment is important for the film because McGillis' character is Amish and a widow, and reluctant to get close to Ford's character. The scene represents a turning point where a barrier is broken down between the characters. It is not a sexual scene.

I would find it disturbing, therefore, if a screen shot of that moment when McGillis is top-free in the film were selected for a website intended to titillate. It would bother me that her non-sexual nudity was being abused in that way. And to a certain extent I feel similarly about images of people at a nudist beach, although if they agree to be photographed and for the photographs to be released then they may enjoy the exhibitionism, in which case it is more acceptable.

I do not think there is anything wrong with people choosing to expose themselves for the enjoyment of other people. It can be a pleasant experience to be looked at with lust, and I don't have a problem with people enjoying that. What I do find distasteful is the assumption that all nudity, especially female nudity, and especially in film, is sexual nudity. Film is a great medium to portray non-sexual instances of nudity, and I do not think it's good for that to be undermined by websites that are out to make a quick buck from people who want to look at boobies.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Two observations:

1. There is a site on the web, probably one of many, devoted to pictures of actresses who have been filmed either nude or at least bare breasted. The list includes such well regarded women as Goldi Hawn, Susan Sarandon, Glen Close, Cameron Diaz, Mia farrow, Helen Hunt, Holly Hunter, Helen Mirren, Gweneth Paltrow, Molly Ringwald, Meg Ryan, Anna Paquin, Sissy Spacek, and Reese Witherspoon.

2.There is also a site, again, no doubt not the only one on the web, devoted to images of nude/bare breasted female beach goers in the USA. These are not models posing for some media, but average people. Moreover, they appear to be doing so at numerous public beaches.

My questions: Do these behaviors represent a healthy or unhealthy change in our perception of the human body? And, does it represent an inevitable embracement of the European attitude, where such displays are so commonplace that they are no longer noteworthy?
I'm always amused by the American obsession with European beaches :p. What could possibly be immoral about breasts?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
IN THE NAME OF GOD - THE MOST BENEFICENT - THE MOST MERCIFUL

I invite all to accept Islam and free yourself from eternal punishment

Any questions you have about Islam please post them to:

peace4humanity@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Your brother in Islam
Looks like we got ourselves a new troll, folks. Now, hands up those who brought their carving knives...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.