Head of Ukrainian Catholics: "It is with great pain that we learned of Pope Francis' words" praising Russian despotism

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Statement of the Head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church on the discussion around some of the statements of Pope Francis at a meeting with Catholic youth in Russia

It was with great pain and concern that we learned of the words attributed to His Holiness Pope Francis at an online meeting with Russian Catholic youth on August 25, 2023 in St. Petersburg.

We hope that these words of the Holy Father were spoken spontaneously, without any attempt at historical assessments, let alone support for Russia's imperialist ambitions. However, we share the great pain they have caused not only among the bishops, clergy, monastics, and faithful of our Church, but also of other denominations and religious organizations. At the same time, we realize the deep disappointment in society that they have caused.

The words about "the great Russia of Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, that empire - great, enlightened, a country of great culture and great humanity," are the worst example of imperialism and extreme Russian nationalism.

There is a danger that these words may be perceived as support for the nationalism and imperialism that has caused the war in Ukraine today - a war that brings death and destruction to our people every day.

The examples cited by the Holy Father actually contradict his teaching on peace, for he has always condemned every form of imperialism in the modern world and warned of the dangers of extreme nationalism, emphasizing that it is the cause of "the third world war in parts."

As a church, we want to state that in the context of Russia's aggression against Ukraine, such statements inspire the neocolonial ambitions of the aggressor country, although we should categorically condemn this way of "being Russian."

In order to avoid any manipulation of the intentions, context and statements attributed to the Holy Father, we expect the Holy See to explain this situation.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He should not speak unless someone knows what he is going to say to polish up the meaning vs his broken languages or sentences.
:help:

I wonder how many times he does this later... :doh:
I used to think that but regardless of language issues, he seems to be sending pretty consistent messages imo.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I used to think that but regardless of language issues, he seems to be sending pretty consistent messages imo.
Intent is good, execution ... um.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status