• Informative
Reactions: Shane R

Tetzel

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
✟10,575.00
Faith
Lutheran
I seem to recall that in the preface to the small catechism Luther comments that the common people had a frighteningly bad grasp of fundamental concepts. Consequently the text was something of an emergency instruction book. I have a nice pocket version of the small catechism from the 80s. I'd be happy to see a version that can be printed on a cereal box.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I reread the Preface in my sermon prep this week and he does in fact mention that most church goers were unable to recite the 10 Commandments, Apostles Creed, or Our Father. In the preface to the Large Catechism he states that his purpose is to more fully explore the topics yet in a way that the young and feeble-minded could understand.

He also makes some remarks about how quickly the doctrine of grace had been accepted but also perverted. The people had almost immediately taken the approach that Paul condemns in Romans 6:1. In other words they had accepted cheap grace. Luther was very interested in pushing them on to holiness and sanctification.

Upvote 0