"Have nothing to do with them" Bible Verse?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And of the two of us, with whom does Christ agree? Well, he was the one who called your "dedicated stewards," the Pharisees, the "brood of vipers," "sons of hell," and "white-washed tombs full of dead men's bones." Was Jesus just looking through the wrong lens? I think not. No, he had it right about the Pharisees. Why don't you? Do you see the Pharisees with clearer eyes, with better understanding than Christ did?

Paul was one of the sect of pharisees. Was Christ wrong about his Sect? Or do you think it possible for God to save and change any he chooses? I was the pharisee, willing to debate with anyone, dismissing those who werent saved as long, shunning those who hung out with the sinners....knowing i was right and anyone who didnt believe my words were wrong. But change is possible when we stop thinking about what the bible says about "them" and focus on what it is saying about "me"

Very likely. But that it might happen in some instances doesn't by any means establish that it does in all. Christians today can - and do - withdraw from the company of the wicked for the right reasons.
So since you acknowledge possible changes in some situations, why not leave the judgement to the one who knows all? Why study and look for the wicked instead of looking for the good?

I don't think anyone is saying that a Christian should "dismiss everything" the unbeliever may say just because they are ignorant of the faith. Nor is everything a biblically-ignorant believer may say worthy of being dismissed. But imagine if a cruise ship captain suddenly encounters a guest in his steering room who wants to tell him how to properly guide the ship across the ocean. Imagine that the guest has never before been to sea and has no idea how to captain a cruise ship - or any ship for that matter. Would the captain be wise and right to dismiss any advice on captaining the ship the guest might give him? Of course! The captain would be a fool to steer the ship on the advice of such a nautically-ignorant person!
What of the master fisherman? Toiling day and night during peak fishing hours to catch fish....just to have the son of a carpenter tell them to cast there net to the right during non peak hours, right after they just pulled out empty nets? Would the fishermen be wise and right to dismiss any fishing advise the carpenter may have? Of Course! And I would find no fault in you doing so. I Just also happen to find no fault in the disciples taking the route of the fool...

So, too, with the biblically-ignorant believer who thinks to advise a mature, well-studied student of the Bible on what is says. On matters of Scripture, the mature student of Scripture would be very foolish to embrace the ideas of one who knows little to nothing about Scripture.
To the religious, back then, the disciples were viewed as ignorant and unlearned men....yet they had the power of God in them. I see no wrong in you not embracing those who know little about scripture. Forgive me if you find fault in me taking the path of the fool, and acknowledging that God can send help through any vessel He chooses, regardless of the perceived biblical knowledge they have.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures seem to say this phrase quite often or it says, "Do not associate with such men"
Does anyone know how many times the Bible references this??
Has anyone here done this? What happened?
And...
What do you say to others esp. Christians when you do carry out what the scripture says, and they respond with "THAT IS SO UNLOVING!!"??
“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,” (2 Corinthians 6:14–17)

Yoked = partner

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The scriptures seem to say this phrase quite often or it says, "Do not associate with such men"
Does anyone know how many times the Bible references this??
Has anyone here done this? What happened?
And...
What do you say to others esp. Christians when you do carry out what the scripture says, and they respond with "THAT IS SO UNLOVING!!"??

Forget them. There is no reason to worry about their thoughts. He will turn them or He won't. "You follow me." I've seen plenty of "Christ followers" doing whatever they please, it's not wise to get involved with the crowds. Find constructive people seeking to follow God all or nothing too and you will be fine.

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
OH MY GOODNESS! I remeber this Raymond G guy ...
he was combative, antagonistic, prideful and rude back then, and he's still behaving that way now!
WOW!! Some things never change~

It is important to recognize most of the "do not associate with them" has to do with either extremely toxic people or people who profess Christianity with these sins as a lifestyle. The reason to stop associating is often given different terms, with a lazy person, or with a wordly person, or with a "Christian" person. It's important to see the discipline through them and that they are temporary depending on if things change. Furthermore, there are always times to be understanding and check in on how someone is doing. So. It mostly means don't be friends with, but you can still be friendly toward at times, warm when they show signs of changing. Don't associate with, but you can still reach out to them over time to see where they are at and if they reconsidered their sin.

There are just certain seasons to stay away from, not talk to, and not be friends with some people for their construction and your holiness. I know most will see you as judgmental, but God will reward you and ask those people why they didn't care enough to treat others the way God wanted them treated, why they chose their sense of what is right over His.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OH MY GOODNESS! I remeber this Raymond G guy ...
he was combative, antagonistic, prideful and rude back then, and he's still behaving that way now!
WOW!! Some things never change~
Lol, nice to know you remember me. I don't remember you at all or any of our conversations, if there were any. And unfortunately I have no emotional connection to reading words.....So I will not remember this conversation shortly after today as well. Was good chatting with you. May God bless you on your journey.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know that the admonition is so often, but the following are references I could locate ...

Psalms 26:4-5 - liars, hypocrites
Proverbs 14:7 - foolish
Proverbs 1:15 - those that prey upon others
Proverbs 22:24-25 - angry
Proverbs 24:1 - evil men
1 Corinthians 5:11 - sexually immoral, greedy, idolaters,
revilers, drunkards, swindlers

...I think the 'anger' motif is slightly misrepresented, since ....well....there is a reason to kick someone out of the congregation at some point, right?

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Titus 3 tells us to reject that also means having nothing more to do with people who are divisive dissentious contentious foolish disputers after not more than twice warning them. There is a LIMIT if they refuse to listen to the gospel that you do not go beyond.

9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. 10 Reject a divisive man after the first and second [a]admonition, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.

Jesus also tells us if they don't listen to the gospel, shake the dust of their city off your feet, and move on, so have nothing more to do with them, this is a testimony against them at the Judgement.

Matthew 10:14
And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Mark 6:11
And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!”

Luke 9:5
And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

Luke 10:11
‘The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.’

Acts 13:51
But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Paul was one of the sect of pharisees. Was Christ wrong about his Sect? Or do you think it possible for God to save and change any he chooses?

A rather glaring deflection of my point. You are wrong about the Pharisees being merely "dedicated stewards." That you are unwilling to acknowledge this despite it being very obvious says a lot about your willingness to be honest about the facts of a matter.

I was the pharisee, willing to debate with anyone, dismissing those who werent saved as long, shunning those who hung out with the sinners....knowing i was right and anyone who didnt believe my words were wrong. But change is possible when we stop thinking about what the bible says about "them" and focus on what it is saying about "me"

??? Your experience doesn't trump the plain command of Scripture. And none of this really has anything to do with the point I made to which your comments here attempt a response.

So since you acknowledge possible changes in some situations, why not leave the judgement to the one who knows all? Why study and look for the wicked instead of looking for the good?

Why not leave the judgment to the One who knows all? Because He has commanded me in His word to "judge righteous judgment" and to make clear and careful distinctions between right and wrong, good and evil. One cannot be a moral and a thinking person without making such judgments between things.

It also does not follow that because I am careful to observe when a thing is evil that I am not therefore "looking for the good." I don't know about you, but I am able to do both. In fact, I must if I'm going to be a righteous person.

What of the master fisherman? Toiling day and night during peak fishing hours to catch fish....just to have the son of a carpenter tell them to cast there net to the right during non peak hours, right after they just pulled out empty nets?

And...another deflection of my point. That "carpenter" was the God-Man, Christ, the Creator of the universe. Although those whose fishing he directed did not know it, Jesus knew more about fishing than all the fishermen who have ever lived combined. And this is why trying to draw a parallel between my analogy and Christ's interactions with his soon-to-be disciples is in error. In my analogy, the one giving advice does so from profound ignorance; in yours, it is the omniscient God of everything who is offering advice. Not very comparable circumstances, clearly.

Would the fishermen be wise and right to dismiss any fishing advise the carpenter may have? Of Course! And I would find no fault in you doing so. I Just also happen to find no fault in the disciples taking the route of the fool...

But, you see, Peter, James and John had no idea at the time who Jesus was. And inasmuch as they had been fishing all night and caught nothing it wasn't like they were going to lose out by following his recommendation. I don't see, then, that the soon-to-be-disciples were "taking the route of the fool."

To the religious, back then, the disciples were viewed as ignorant and unlearned men....yet they had the power of God in them.

Back then they did not have the full canon of God's revealed truth, the Bible, either. But we do and by it are thoroughly equipped to do the work of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Those believers who neglect to study it and grow thereby should not expect to be taken seriously on spiritual matters or to be as effective in God's service as those who do (Psalms 1; Psalms 119:11; Hebrews 5:12, etc.).

I see no wrong in you not embracing those who know little about scripture.

"Embracing"? What does that mean, exactly? I don't discard believers who are scripturally-ignorant but I don't go to them for spiritual guidance, either. You seem determined to create false dichotomies...

Forgive me if you find fault in me taking the path of the fool, and acknowledging that God can send help through any vessel He chooses, regardless of the perceived biblical knowledge they have.

??? God once communicated His will through a donkey but that didn't make the donkey a genius or a common source of wisdom and guidance, did it? Of course not. God's usual means of communicating His truth and will to us is not through some wicked servant of the devil or a biblically-ignorant and spiritually-immature believer but through His word and those who have carefully and patiently made themselves students of it. It is truly a fool who ignores the common methods and means of divine wisdom in favor of a word from God from the mouth of an ass.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone here done this? What happened? ...

Yes. I almost completely stopped posting on Christian Forums.

What happened? I found myself with more free time, my blood pressure went down, and I am considerably happier.

Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A rather glaring deflection of my point. You are wrong about the Pharisees being merely "dedicated stewards." That you are unwilling to acknowledge this despite it being very obvious says a lot about your willingness to be honest about the facts of a matter.

??? Your experience doesn't trump the plain command of Scripture. And none of this really has anything to do with the point I made to which your comments here attempt a response.

Why not leave the judgment to the One who knows all? Because He has commanded me in His word to "judge righteous judgment" and to make clear and careful distinctions between right and wrong, good and evil. One cannot be a moral and a thinking person without making such judgments between things.

It also does not follow that because I am careful to observe when a thing is evil that I am not therefore "looking for the good." I don't know about you, but I am able to do both. In fact, I must if I'm going to be a righteous person.

And...another deflection of my point. That "carpenter" was the God-Man, Christ, the Creator of the universe. Although those whose fishing he directed did not know it, Jesus knew more about fishing than all the fishermen who have ever lived combined. And this is why trying to draw a parallel between my analogy and Christ's interactions with his soon-to-be disciples is in error. In my analogy, the one giving advice does so from profound ignorance; in yours, it is the omniscient God of everything who is offering advice. Not very comparable circumstances, clearly.

But, you see, Peter, James and John had no idea at the time who Jesus was. And inasmuch as they had been fishing all night and caught nothing it wasn't like they were going to lose out by following his recommendation. I don't see, then, that the soon-to-be-disciples were "taking the route of the fool."

Back then they did not have the full canon of God's revealed truth, the Bible, either. But we do and by it are thoroughly equipped to do the work of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Those believers who neglect to study it and grow thereby should not expect to be taken seriously on spiritual matters or to be as effective in God's service as those who do (Psalms 1; Psalms 119:11; Hebrews 5:12, etc.).

"Embracing"? What does that mean, exactly? I don't discard believers who are scripturally-ignorant but I don't go to them for spiritual guidance, either. You seem determined to create false dichotomies...

??? God once communicated His will through a donkey but that didn't make the donkey a genius or a common source of wisdom and guidance, did it? Of course not. God's usual means of communicating His truth and will to us is not through some wicked servant of the devil or a biblically-ignorant and spiritually-immature believer but through His word and those who have carefully and patiently made themselves students of it. It is truly a fool who ignores the common methods and means of divine wisdom in favor of a word from God from the mouth of an ass.
I see nothing wrong with anything you said or believe. Thanks for the conversation.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

JimBeta

Sep 26, 2018
Begijnendijk
✟16,893.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know one person who also talked like that. It was a pharasee.
Luke 18
9And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0