Visit site
✟1,352,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m sharing this here with you from my time of personal devotions with my Lord Jesus Christ, for your encouragement. Sue Love

1 Peter 3:13-17 ESV

“Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.”

No Fear of Persecution

If we are the Lord’s true disciples, our lives are under God’s protection. No harm can befall us unless God allows it for a purpose and he sets the limits on the harm that he will allow to befall us (see story of Job). And he will give us the wisdom and the strength to endure. But Jesus promised his followers that they would share in the fellowship of his sufferings, and that they would be hated and persecuted as he was hated and persecuted.

Yet, we are not to fear persecution. We need to exercise wisdom and discernment so that we don’t end up being deceived and fall into the traps of the devil, but we should not fear being persecuted for righteousness’ sake. And when we are persecuted we need to seek God’s face regarding what should be our response. Sometimes we are to say nothing and other times we are to speak boldly and confidently against the lies in support of the truth.

Prepared to Defend the Gospel

For we are always to be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks us for a reason for the hope that is in us, i.e. we are always to be prepared to make a defense for the gospel of Jesus Christ, to combat the lies that are being spread near and far, and to proclaim the truth (the whole counsel of God) for all to hear. For there are so many liars and deceivers who are twisting the truth and who are telling lies, instead.

But in our defense of the gospel, when someone asks for a reason for the hope that is in us, we are to respond to their inquiry with gentleness (meekness) and respect, having a good conscience. Now Jesus was meek but he was not weak, so this doesn’t mean backing down from the truth in order to not offend others with the truth. For meekness means “gentle strength.” It is power with reserve or a gentle force.

Strong in the Lord (Armor of God)

So, we never compromise the truth of the gospel in order to spare people’s feelings, i.e. in order to not offend them with the truth. But we don’t come into the conversation like gangbusters ready for a battle, either, unless we are dealing with the attacks of Satan on the truth and with liars and deceivers who are trying to trick us into buying into their lies. We have to be strong in the Lord in combatting blatant lies and in proclaiming the truth.

But we should never revert to name calling and being nasty and hateful. And we should never trade “tit for tat,” i.e. you did something to me so I am going to do something back to you kind of thing. We should never lower ourselves to that kind of behavior. We can be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power and put on that armor of God to fight off Satan’s evil schemes against us without lowering ourselves to being revengeful.

Maintaining a Good Conscience

We must maintain a good conscience so that, when we are slandered, those who revile our good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. And we must persevere in forgiving our enemies and our persecutors and in returning hate with love. For even if people are being hateful and mean to us we should not be hateful and mean to them. Yet, if we are combating their lies with the truth they may accuse us of hate, but that is not hate to defend the honor of the truth and to expose the fruitless deeds of darkness for what they are. For many people are being deceived and need to hear the truth.

For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil. For we can’t combat evil with evil, you know. We combat evil with good. But good does not mean ever that we should lower God’s standards of holiness and righteousness in order to not offend others with the truth. We can still be kind and yet expose the lies and tell the truth. But “kind” is never softening the truth. People need to hear the truth. That is being kind!

[Matt 5:10-16; Matt 10:16-25; Matt 24:9-14; Matt 28:18-20; Lu 6:22-23; Lu 21:12-19; John 15:1-21; Acts 1:8; Acts 26:18; Rom 5:3-5; Rom 12:1-8; 1 Co 12:1-31; 2 Co 1:3-11; Eph 4:1-16; Eph 5:17-27; Phil 3:7-11; Col 3:16; 1 Thess 3:1-5; Jas 1:2-4; Heb 3:13; Heb 12:3-12; 1 Pet 1:6-7; 1 Pet 2:9; 1 Pet 4:12-17]

How Beautiful Heaven Must Be

Songwriters: Cordelia J. Whiteside Bridgewater, 1920 / Andy Pickens Bland

We read of a place that's called heaven,
It's made for the pure and the free;
These truths in God's word He has given,
How beautiful heaven must be.

In heaven no drooping nor pining,
No wishing for elsewhere to be;
God's light is forever, there shining,
How beautiful heaven must be.

The angels so sweetly are singing,
Up there by the beautiful sea;