Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Notes from an episode of Haunted Cosmos about ghosts, shadow people, etc.

OPEN TO ANYONE TO COMMENT.

Communication with ghosts: Isaiah 8:19; 19:3; 29:4 and 1 Samuel 28:11–19

Seeing ghosts: Matthew 14:26; Mark 6:49; Luke 24:37–39

Crisis apparitions: Acts 12:15; Acts 23:8 angles/spirit (research by David Hufford finds 30% of people experience seeing recently deceased appearances)

Fallen gods: Ps 8:5; Ps 82:1, 6

Elemental spirits: Col 2:8, 20; Ps 104:4; 148:1–4, 7–8; Job 38:11–12; Jer 33:20–21 (ex Big Foot, Mothman)

Other kind of spirit, shadowmen, hat man, Night Hag: Isaiah 34:14

*** “Typical hauntings are more likely to be unclean/bastard spirits (dead giants) like those encountered in the gospels…”

Any thoughts about ghosts, etc?

Last edited:

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. I'm sorry to say the distinctions above are not quite right! Scriptures talk about two kinds of creatures: corporeal beings, such as humans and animals, and noncorporeal beings, spiritual beings, which we commonly distinguish as either good or evil, as angels and demons. Spiritual beings are expressed by different names and imagery throughout the Bible, but they're not to be confused with what we may think of as ghosts, the souls of dead people. That is, souls are either in heaven or hell. They don't roam the earth, which angels and demons do in a mystical way.

While there is no Biblical case for ghosts, the concept of being able to commune with the dead and have souls visit and roam the earth has been and is still believed by many. We can find in the Bible examples of even the apostles confusing Jesus for a spirit. It's not exactly clear if they thought of Him as a soul or as a spirit, but it's immaterial, because either way they were wrong.

Now, the Bible does recognise and forbid the practice of divination and necromancy, but this is because God's Word forbids deception and the occult. So I think the best understanding of 1 Samuel 28 is that the "Samuel" the medium summoned, was in reality a demon. This is what Luther believed and I'd be inclined to agree on account of what happens to souls when people die.

Whenever people in our time claim to have made contact with the dead, we can take it in one of three ways: (1) They may be lying, (2) they may have confused something for a ghost on account of strange phenomena or mental illness, or (3) they may have experienced demonic influence. I think most mediums and people who have a deep interest in ghosts are commonly guilty of all three, because when people seek out ghosts or spirits, they first of all have a tendency to receive everything as spiritual, and secondly have a tendency to exaggerate, and thirdly, by seeking after these things they actually do open the door to demonic influence in various degrees.

In short: Does the Bible allow for ghosts, as in the souls of the dead roaming the earth that may be experienced by us living? No. But people can lie about it and through it mislead others, and demons can come in the form of ghosts for the purpose of misleading us and leading us into harm and death. And what deceivers and demons have in common, is this: They all wish to lead us away from God, and that's why we should be on guard against it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Excellent reply Daniel, I appreciate your willingness to respond with such detail. Until a few years ago I would have agreed with you 100% but now, I have more gray areas in my theology, I’m not so quick to accept whatever the dogmaticians have declared.

Please accept my reply in the spirit in which it is offered; I’m not looking to correct you as your position is the majority view held by Reformed and Lutheran Christians, I’m also not saying what follow is something I’m tied to. It’s not a place of theological entrenchment but rather me working through ideas I have about ghosts and other things that go bump in the night. I don’t know if we can dismiss all of the spiritual world as demonic or demonic manifestations since Second Temple Jews had a category for ghosts. This category was referenced in scripture and used by the Apostles. I also wouldn’t be so quick to call people who have had strange experiences they perceive as ghosts as liars or deceived. Ever since I read the Church Father’s and fellas like Canadian Christian philosopher Charles Taylor, I’m far less of a materialist and more willing to embrace the so-called spirit “enchantment.”

I have to take a more broadly catholic position on the subject of ghosts.

A few scriptures to consider.

Matthew 14:25-27 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”

Jesus didn’t correct the disciples when they thought He was a ghost. He instead told them to not be afraid. Jesus seems to be of the same mind as the disciple in acknowledging that ghosts are real but not something to fear. We should also recognize the word used for “ghost” is “phantasma” meaning appearance, apparition, ghost, spirit, phantom.

Luke 24:37-39 But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit. And He said to them, “Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.”

Again, Christ does not correct the disciples who thought they had seen a spirit and admits a spirit does not have flesh and bone.

Isa 29:4 And you will be brought low; from the earth you shall speak and from the dust your speech will be bowed down your voice shall come from the ground like the voice of a ghost, and from the dust your speech shall whisper.

In Isaiah we see “voice of a ghost” being mentioned, it’s a reference the Jews would have understood as a deceased disembodied human spirit.

Job 4:12-19 “Now a word was brought to me stealthily my ear received the whisper of it. Amid thoughts from visions of the night when deep sleep falls on men, dread came upon me, and trembling, which made all my bones shake. A spirit glided past my face; the hair of my flesh stood up. It stood still, but I could not discern its appearance. A form was before my eyes; there was silence, then I heard a voice: ‘Can mortal man be in the right before God? Can a man be pure before his Maker? Even in his servants he puts no trust and his angels he charges with error; how much more those who dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, who are crushed like the moth.”

In Job we read “a spirit glided past my face…” Not a demon but a spirit. This was visual. Of God or not it was a real spirit.

1 Sam 28 is a larger passage so I won’t quote it but let’s consider the passage briefly. We read that Samuel came to Saul, not a demon, and the message delivered to Saul a truthful message. The small “c” catholic position on ghosts was accepted until the time of the Puritans - even King James wrote a book discussing demons, ghosts, etc. As someone who spent 20 years in Reformed circles I can attest to the snobbery that exists in Reformed theology and their tendency to rationalize and use, “good and necessary consequence…” to arrive at theological conclusions. One cannot read 1 Samuel 28 and think there was no ghost of Samuel speaking with Saul. You have to import the idea that the ghost of Samuel was a demon. It’s simply not in the text and the current position held by Lutherans and Reformed is an overraction to the Roman idea of purgatory.

Not a slam dunk but something odd worth considering, Acts 12:11, They said to her, ‘You are out of your mind.’ But she kept insisting that it was so, and they kept saying, ‘It is his angel!’” Peter is in jail and thought to be dead. I’ve read that “angel” should be translated “ghost” OR accept the Jewish idea that a guardian angel looked like their charge.

As a fan of Lutheran scholastic orthodoxy (with caution) I’ll drop a few quotes from St. Thomas.

“. . . according to the disposition of Divine providence, separated souls sometimes come forth from their abode and appear to men . . . It is also credible that this may occur sometimes to the damned, and that for man’s instruction and intimidation they be permitted to appear to the living; or again in order to seek our suffrages, as to those who are detained in purgatory.”
"It does not follow, although the dead be able to appear to the living as they will, that they appear as often as when living in the flesh: because when they are separated from the flesh, they are either wholly conformed to the divine will, so that they may do nothing but what they see to be agreeable with the Divine disposition, or else they are so overwhelmed by their punishments that their grief for their unhappiness surpasses their desire to appear to others."

Anyway, thank you for your patience.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
To elaborate on my memories further. I saw a white figure (fully white) with brown hair and coal black eyes. I remember looking up and it was floating...staring at me. This experience is forever burned into my memory. This was probably back in 1998 or 1999.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
To elaborate on my memories further. I saw a white figure (fully white) with brown hair and coal black eyes. I remember looking up and it was floating...staring at me. This experience is forever burned into my memory. This was probably back in 1998 or 1999.
I've seen the so-called "Shadow People," and I'm convinced they are demons. The last time I had seen one I awoke startled around 3 am (witching hour) and a Shadow figure was beside my bed leaning over me. I prayed and rolled over, never was frightened or shocked, just prayed and went back to sleep. That was the last time I had seen one.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love the Haunted Cosmos podcast, I am about 1/3 through this particular episode. I don't always agree with their conclusions, in particular on the giants episode, but they have a great banter and are generally theologically sound IMO.

I have never seen a ghost or similar entity, but I have a friend that did. He is neither a liar nor a deceiver, nor someone prone to just believing things. As an engineer he has a sound and critical mind. I did once possibly see a shadow figure, about 5AM, but it was neither moving nor menacing in any way, it could simply have been a trick of the light in the house.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I've seen the so-called "Shadow People," and I'm convinced they are demons. The last time I had seen one I awoke startled around 3 am (witching hour) and a Shadow figure was beside my bed leaning over me. I prayed and rolled over, never was frightened or shocked, just prayed and went back to sleep. That was the last time I had seen one.
Yes, I'm convinced they are demons, too.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What I mean by loss of enchantment is that we tend to reduce the spiritual for what is acceptable by society and this becomes a presupposition that affects how we interpret scripture. This may help a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0