Hating Christians, what's the root cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The OP:

Hating Christians, what's the root cause?
Why would anyone "hate" a Christian?

"So stand the theses of religious humanism.

Though we consider the religious forms and ideas of our fathers no longer adequate, the quest for the good life is still the central task for mankind.

Man is at last becoming aware that he alone is responsible for the realization of the world of his dreams, that he has within himself the power for its achievement. He must set intelligence and will to the task."

- Humanist Manifesto I

And for anyone listening to politics these days . . .

Humanist Manifesto:

FOURTEENTH
: The humanists are firmly convinced that existing acquisitive and profit-motivated society

has shown itself to be inadequate and that a radical change in methods, controls, and motives must be instituted.

A socialized and cooperative economic order must be established to the end that the equitable distribution of the means of life be possible. The goal of humanism is a free and universal society

in which people voluntarily and intelligently cooperate for the common good.

Humanists demand a shared life in a shared world.

Last edited:

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Only a bigot would hate a Christian simply because he/she is a Christian. There are plenty of Christians who are eminently hateworthy (Fred Phelps to name one fairly uncontroversial example), and for some of them the reasons for this are closely tied to their interpretation of Christianity, but this in no way tars all Christians with the same brush.

Upvote 0

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never hate anyone but there are certain Christians I dislike because they are not very nice people. Being a Christian I will always be civil to them and try to show Christian love but I would never be best friends with backstabbing gossips.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Why would anyone hate a Buddhist? Why would anyone hate a Muslim? Why would anyone hate a Pagan? Why would anyone hate an atheist?

What's the point of this thread?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Only a bigot would hate a Christian simply because he/she is a Christian. There are plenty of Christians who are eminently hateworthy (Fred Phelps to name one fairly uncontroversial example), and for some of them the reasons for this are closely tied to their interpretation of Christianity, but this in no way tars all Christians with the same brush.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking more about 'christians' who hate. Fred Phelps being a good example. And for that my answer was that some mean hateful people become Christians, just as some become Muslims, Buddists or Jews.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Why would anyone hate a Buddhist? Why would anyone hate a Muslim? Why would anyone hate a Pagan? Why would anyone hate an atheist?

What's the point of this thread?
I have run into similar posts in the Christian Philosophy & Ethics section of CF. It appears to be an attempt to drum up sympathy for the poster after his/her posts (usually posts about justifying thier own persoan prejudices) have had their “facts” shown to be not factual at all. Then claims about being the victim of hate attacks from various minorities come in.
It comes down to “you don’t agree with me and can provide evidence that my facts are not true….therefore you must hate me and everyone who is a True Christian™”

Reactions: youthwalk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Of course we could attribute the hating of Christians to the fact that:

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. (Twain)

Except that while there are some Christians that fit that mold it seems these are never the ones who complain about being hated.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
There are a number of reasons why people cringe when you say, "I'm a Christian."

People assume that you are going to sell Jesus to them like a used car salesman. "You know, if you die to night, your're going to hell! Won't you accept Jesus?"
Often, they make the conversion about the person they are talking to, and themselves, often getting mad when you don't comply. My understanding is that it is between the individual and God.
They will tell you the importance of sin, while ignoring that Christ's focus was on loving one another, being merciful, compassionate, kind, gentle, and full of hope.
They will claim to know Jesus, but be full of condemnation, threat, damn you to hell, be haughty, and basically act like a Pharisee.
They will sometimes quote the bible to you, and expect you to listen, but refuse to listen to you, because what could you, a sinner, possible tell them?
They will tell you that nothing you do will get you into heaven, and yet, pat themselves on the back about how good they are, and how God must be very pleased, especially compared to others.
They will pick out verses, and ignore others that show their darkness.

In short, they are the antithesis of what Jesus taught, or what Jesus is.

Even Gandhi, a man of peace, said that he liked their Christ, but didn't like Christians, because they were so much unlike their Christ.

This is not all Christians, certainly. It's the squeaky wheels.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't hate Christians wholesale. There are a few Christians I don't like, and there are a few things about certain Christianities that I don't like, but every single Christian in the whole world? Nah. I'd have to hate about half of my friends, for a start.

Upvote 0

Axioma

Eccentric, Culture Ulterior (Absconded)
Aug 10, 2008
✟17,276.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why would a Christian feel "hated"?
The bible tells them to feel hated. Possibly there is some internal insecurity involved, but some Christians simply get off on feeling persecuted. I think it comes from the disconnect in original Christianity being a minority faith in a huge pagan empire, and current Christianity being the majority religion in the world's last remaining superpower and being a religion without which it is impossible to really get any sort of power in the government.

You get two choices - either Christians look at this and realize "[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth], we ARE the Establishment!" or they have to dig themselves as deep into a persecution complex as they can get.

Upvote 0

Caylin

Formerly Dracon427
Feb 15, 2004
Olympia, Washington
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are a number of reasons why people cringe when you say, "I'm a Christian."

People assume that you are going to sell Jesus to them like a used car salesman. "You know, if you die to night, your're going to hell! Won't you accept Jesus?"
Often, they make the conversion about the person they are talking to, and themselves, often getting mad when you don't comply. My understanding is that it is between the individual and God.
They will tell you the importance of sin, while ignoring that Christ's focus was on loving one another, being merciful, compassionate, kind, gentle, and full of hope.
They will claim to know Jesus, but be full of condemnation, threat, damn you to hell, be haughty, and basically act like a Pharisee.
They will sometimes quote the bible to you, and expect you to listen, but refuse to listen to you, because what could you, a sinner, possible tell them?
They will tell you that nothing you do will get you into heaven, and yet, pat themselves on the back about how good they are, and how God must be very pleased, especially compared to others.

Even Gandhi, a man of peace, said that he liked their Christ, but didn't like Christians, because they were so much unlike their Christ.

It was said here better than I ever could, save for an addendum. I am wary of christians because every time someone has come up to me unsolicited in public to chastise me for being queer, it has been for christian reasons. When my grandmother cut my funding for school and a place to live it was because of her *christian* inability to deal with the fact that I was now a woman living in love with another woman. I would have a degree right now if she hadn't done that. When I have to let other trans or gay friends of mine sleep on my couch for long periods of time, it is because their christian family either disowned them or made their lives as insufferable as possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This is a good response. I'll have to answer some of it later.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Pride

All hatred of Holy and what is good stems from Pride. Non-christians tend to put themselves as "Gods" doing what they think is right thus putting themselves in the pedestal rather than God.. Its no different when Satan wanted to take over God's throne. Secondly I believe there is a little jealousy involved, because I think people deep down know we possess the truth which is in Christ alone. So by lowering ourselves we in sense raise ourselves, and by the non-crhsitian trying to raise themselves by their own means(pride) they in the end lower themselves. The humble and meek will confuse the people who think they are wise and have wisdom. Because true wisdom starts with the fear of God as king Solomon prophecys. Without fear of the Lord the most "wise" and smartest person is nothing more than a fool.

Psalm 14:1 says:
The fool* says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Proverbs 1:7).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So if I hate a Christian who is rude, self-centred and violent, it's because of pride?

What if I hate an atheist/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim/Hindu who is rude, self-centred and violent? Is that because of pride too?

What if I hate a Christian who is rude, self-centred and violent, but I don't know he's a Christian? More pride?

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Pride

All hatred of Holy and what is good stems from Pride. Non-christians tend to put themselves as "Gods" doing what they think is right thus putting themselves in the pedestal rather than God.. Its no different when Satan wanted to take over God's throne. Secondly I believe there is a little jealousy involved, because I think people deep down know we possess the truth which is in Christ alone. So by lowering ourselves we in sense raise ourselves, and by the non-crhsitian trying to raise themselves by their own means(pride) they in the end lower themselves. The humble and meek will confuse the people who think they are wise and have wisdom. Because true wisdom starts with the fear of God as king Solomon prophecys. Without fear of the Lord the most "wise" and smartest person is nothing more than a fool.

Psalm 14:1 says:
The fool* says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Proverbs 1:7).
Exhibit A.

Reactions: stan1980
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.