Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The people who claim to take it literally are also the folks who say "but what that really means is..." the most. I'll start a thread on that in GT if you'd like.

Absolutely! :)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
While of course we are literally the observers, so that redshift is relative to us (naturally the only possible kind of 'redshift' is that relative to a point of observation), the standard conception is that anywhere else -- any location in the Universe -- would also see the same degree of redshift of distant galaxies (the same proportionality: the degree of redshift relative to distance) alike to what we see from our point of observation. Does that clear up the question? (if you'd like to hear how astronomers figured out the relation between degree of redshift and distance, that's an interesting topic, and it begins with just pure trigonometry for nearby objects like nearby stars and then progresses from that to next using a ladder of standard objects that have known brightness so that their apparent brightness indicates their distance)
I got off on a tangent (about the speed of light) in an earlier response to this. What I had intended to get at, is what has always seemed strange to me:

When I hear, "Big Bang", or whatever other description they have for it, the expansion is said to be from a single point in space, (yet, they talk about there wasn't really space at that point, nor time 'before' that, etc.) but whatever, when I hear other things they say, I hear them talk as if it happened 'over there a ways', and intuitively, I think, "There is material also going that direction, and at angles compared to us, up-down-left-right". When I drop a stone in the dust, I can see where the stone hit, even if I don't see the stone itself, by the directions the dust goes. When I see an explosion, I see where the center of the damage is by the ejecta flying off. Admittedly, I don't comprehend the fancy talk, about how there were no dimensions or whatever they say there. I have pretty well given up trying to understand.

My question is: Why can't we tell where it happened, and how close we are to that spot, and what direction objects are traveling relative to that spot, by observation? (I can easily understand why something ejected at above half the speed of light going the opposite direction from what we are going at above half the speed of light is, relative to us, departing at more than the speed of light, and thus, invisible to us. I can speculate, too, that in the small amount of time we have been able to observe and measure arc, and compare one body with another, there may not have been enough motion at the huge distances we observe, to see something moving at, say, right angles to ourselves, sufficiently for numbers to be accumulated to show 'where they came from'.)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,102.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My question is: Why can't we tell where it happened, and how close we are to that spot, and what direction objects are traveling relative to that spot, by observation?
It happened where you are standing right now and over here where I am sitting and at the top of Olympus Mons on Mars and on the planets revolving around Alpha Centauri and in the middle (and the edge) of the Andromeda galaxy. I could could go on for megaparsecs, but you get the drift.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got off on a tangent (about the speed of light) in an earlier response to this. What I had intended to get at, is what has always seemed strange to me:

When I hear, "Big Bang", or whatever other description they have for it, the expansion is said to be from a single point in space, (yet, they talk about there wasn't really space at that point, nor time 'before' that, etc.) but whatever, when I hear other things they say, I hear them talk as if it happened 'over there a ways', and intuitively, I think, "There is material also going that direction, and at angles compared to us, up-down-left-right". When I drop a stone in the dust, I can see where the stone hit, even if I don't see the stone itself, by the directions the dust goes. When I see an explosion, I see where the center of the damage is by the ejecta flying off. Admittedly, I don't comprehend the fancy talk, about how there were no dimensions or whatever they say there. I have pretty well given up trying to understand.

My question is: Why can't we tell where it happened, and how close we are to that spot, and what direction objects are traveling relative to that spot, by observation? (I can easily understand why something ejected at above half the speed of light going the opposite direction from what we are going at above half the speed of light is, relative to us, departing at more than the speed of light, and thus, invisible to us. I can speculate, too, that in the small amount of time we have been able to observe and measure arc, and compare one body with another, there may not have been enough motion at the huge distances we observe, to see something moving at, say, right angles to ourselves, sufficiently for numbers to be accumulated to show 'where they came from'.)
I think a well written article will be better than just our wordings, so here are a couple:

With more details:

or very short:

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It happened where you are standing right now and over here where I am sitting and at the top of Olympus Mons on Mars and on the planets revolving around Alpha Centauri and in the middle (and the edge) of the Andromeda galaxy. I could could go on for megaparsecs, but you get the drift.
"drift" —am I detecting a pun there?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I think a well written article will be better than just our wordings, so here are a couple:

With more details:

or very short:
Read them, and thanks, but nope. Still doesn't make sense to me. Too many objections.

What kind of "space" is it, that is stretching? Does it have outer limits? Or is that circular to imagine? I don't get it.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Read them, and thanks, but nope. Still doesn't make sense to me. Too many objections.

What kind of "space" is it, that is stretching? Does it have outer limits? Or is that circular to imagine? I don't get it.
As an analogy think of a 2 dimensional space on the surface of a balloon.

Two things on the surface very slowly moving away from each other will get a lot further than they moved due to the balloon inflating.

Now imagine trying to define where the balloon started inflating from using coordinates on the surface... it's impossible.

It's consistent with what we know about space for the universe to be finite but unbounded, but the 3d space of the universe is expanding in a higher dimension.

We have evidence for this kind of phenomenon when we examine that mass literally distorts the structure of space.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
As an analogy think of a 2 dimensional space on the surface of a balloon.

Two things on the surface very slowly moving away from each other will get a lot further than they moved due to the balloon inflating.

Now imagine trying to define where the balloon started inflating from using coordinates on the surface... it's impossible.

It's consistent with what we know about space for the universe to be finite but unbounded, but the 3d space of the universe is expanding in a higher dimension.

We have evidence for this kind of phenomenon when we examine that mass literally distorts the structure of space.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes, the link used that analogy of the balloon expanding. But it doesn't work for me. It is not impossible to tell where the center-point in the expansion in the balloon is, by looking at the surface. The center point isn't on the surface.

You, and others, and the links, liken our understanding of the universe to someone who only sees the surface of the balloon, and cannot conceive of the 3d shape of the balloon. I get that. What I don't get is WHY believe that there are more physical dimensions to the physical size and shape of the universe than the 3d that we are familiar with. I am unable to just take everyone's word for it. It doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes, the link used that analogy of the balloon expanding. But it doesn't work for me. It is not impossible to tell where the center-point in the expansion in the balloon is, by looking at the surface. The center point isn't on the surface.

You, and others, and the links, liken our understanding of the universe to someone who only sees the surface of the balloon, and cannot conceive of the 3d shape of the balloon. I get that. What I don't get is WHY believe that there are more physical dimensions to the physical size and shape of the universe than the 3d that we are familiar with. I am unable to just take everyone's word for it. It doesn't make sense to me.
General relativity predicts the curvature of space time through higher dimensions as a consequence of gravity and extreme relative velocity.

But as I said we can actually detect this happening when we need to account for relativistic effects from satellites and planets in our Solar system and we can directly visualise the effect when we analyse the distortion around black holes and galactic clusters.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry, I was sorta busy, and was looking for an easy already written web page to make it more clear without me having to try :). So, in a nutshell (and I'm not suggesting this is going to be clear, but it might be...), in either case of a 'closed Universe' where if you have time enough and you emit a laser beam in any direction from any location, then it would eventually 'curve' back around (traveling along a straight line) to arrive at the same location where it came from (as I once thought way back in the late 70s/early 80s was as likely as not...but then space began later to seem more likely 'flat' (but even that isn't yet set in stone...)) or in the case of a 'flat Universe' (no curvature built into the Universe as a whole), where the laser beam would just continue out infinitely into the distance, never coming back near it's starting point -- in either of these 2 situations of the curvature of the Universe -- there's no edge. In the case of the flat Universe, the photons could (if not hitting anything) continue forever outward towards infinity (that's not any edge anywhere), and in the case of the closed Universe, they would curve in time back around to where they came from, and space would have no 'edge' anywhere in that case either. There are perhaps better ways to explain, and you've already heard a couple of above about stretching space, and the analogy to the surface of an expanding balloon as like the expansion of space that is currently happening, which also helps show how there's no boundary/edge to that space (the balloon surface 2 D analog to actual space in our Universe is edgeless).

But there is a seeming edge (to an observer; caused by the finite speed of light), and perhaps that will help (even if it doesn't answer all the questions), so here's a nice web page about that. (it might help to know that currently the predominate viewpoint is that space is flat, and therefore can be infinite in extent in any direction)
There's probably a better web page to offer more explanation in another wording, and I don't mind looking more, and may later, but this one was ok, and better than 4 others I glanced at for this topic.
Actually, I enjoy doing that kind of thing. Here's another article Is there anything beyond the universe?
....I can see a few more articles of interest already. Instead of tacking them onto this post, I'll make a new one in a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Asking where is the center of the Universe (or where did the big bang start, etc.) is very much like asking where the edge of the Universe is, in that if it has an edge, there will be a center also....
Here's an article talking about what I tried to explain above, but in another wording and with helpful editing I bet.

Where is the edge of the universe?​

We may never know.
By Eric Betz | Published: Tuesday, November 10, 2020