Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Luke 14:12-14)

A couple days ago, I heard a guy talk about his bachelor party, where his friends hired a stripper to come to the house, to entertain the guests, so to speak. As I listened to this, I thought of the aforementioned verses, and thought about hiring a stripper to come to a party, but just treating her as one of the party guests.

Has anyone tried anything like this? It seems like this is a bit of Christ's teachings that we rarely think about, let alone applying it in our lives.

"The dignity of the human person is rooted in his creation in the image and likeness of God; it is fulfilled in his vocation to divine beatitude. It is essential to a human being freely to direct himself to this fulfillment. By his deliberate actions, the human person does, or does not, conform to the good promised by God and attested by moral conscience. Human beings make their own contribution to their interior growth; they make their whole sentient and spiritual lives into means of this growth. With the help of grace they grow in virtue, avoid sin, and if they sin they entrust themselves as did the prodigal son to the mercy of our Father in heaven. In this way they attain to the perfection of charity." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1700)

Reactions: anna ~ grace

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone tried anything like this? It seems like this is a bit of Christ's teachings that we rarely think about, let alone applying it in our lives.

Many churches and other organizations feed the homeless on a regular basis.

Many churches and other organizations feed the homeless and low income families on Thanksgiving and some around Christmas.

At our church we invite low income families, identified to us by the Social Services Department, for a Thanksgiving dinner where we are the serving staff and we provide entertainment as well as gifts.

It's one of the best things our church does.

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
last Christmas, actually on Christmas day, we had no eggs and so I went to the only place open in town. Whilst there I noticed a young lady sitting on the gutter looking dejected. I also noticed a police van disappearing down the road.
Our Christmas dinner was being served at home and I was getting back into my car to go home and tuck into it....but as the Lord would have it, I had one foot in the car and suddenly called out to the lady---"Are you going to be okay?"...she responded with her hands open, "I don't know!"
Of course that was a set up by God...and I was moved against my natural mind to go to her.
She sat in my car and shared her story in tears....her friend had been arrested....she was trying to find her self by coming down to the forests where we live...she is an Indigenous woman. I shared with her that she is a child of God and that God would like for her to receive Jesus into her heart.
Right there in the car she received Christ.
Then we dropped into the local police station to leave a message for her friend. The officer in charge would not even take her note....he told me quite sternly not to have anything to do with her saying that these people are trouble, and bad people, and they are into stuff you wouldnt want to know about! I said, thats the chance I am willing to take.
She came home to our big Christmas dinner and like a little lamb was a bit unsure and nervous.
The next day we drove her to her 5 children 120km away and brought them back. THey stayed in our home for 6 weeks until they got a rental of their own...and the children are all in a local school now.
I learned that Father is far more concerned about the outcasts and the poor than I had thought! It was not easy having them stay...but all through that time I heard the chuckles and laughter of the Father as we struggled and tried to love the unlovely....
I share this not to big note myself...not at all...it was all the Lord's doing....his compassions fail not!!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Luke 14:12-14)

A couple days ago, I heard a guy talk about his bachelor party, where his friends hired a stripper to come to the house, to entertain the guests, so to speak. As I listened to this, I thought of the aforementioned verses, and thought about hiring a stripper to come to a party, but just treating her as one of the party guests.

"The dignity of the human person is rooted in his creation in the image and likeness of God; it is fulfilled in his vocation to divine beatitude. It is essential to a human being freely to direct himself to this fulfillment. By his deliberate actions, the human person does, or does not, conform to the good promised by God and attested by moral conscience. Human beings make their own contribution to their interior growth; they make their whole sentient and spiritual lives into means of this growth. With the help of grace they grow in virtue, avoid sin, and if they sin they entrust themselves as did the prodigal son to the mercy of our Father in heaven. In this way they attain to the perfection of charity." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1700)

Yes. I have friends who have a cook-out most of the summer in their driveway. A scattering of 10-20 in the neighborhood come by and supper is potluck shared, or not. Anyone can come and fellowship and the grills are open to use. The only repayment anyone gets is friendship.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not in so many words. But I was invited to a bachelor dinner before a friend of mine got married. We went to a nice place and had dinner, but afterwards the group wanted to go to a strip club. Strip clubs aren't my thing. But I felt obligated so I went. One of the girls in the club came up and asked if I wanted a lap dance. I told her no but asked her to sit at the bar with me. After talking to her about her drug addiction and how she lost her children to the State I tucked a 20 in her top. She asked what it was for and I told her that's what I would likely have paid her to dance and I wanted her to be paid for her time. She didn't quite get it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That would involve deception, wouldn't it?
To hire her as a stripper and then when she arrives you actually deceived her into thinking that is not what you hired her for.
Is this what you mean?
Also, would all the bachelor men be Christian?
Would there be alcohol at the bachelor party?
Would they want to talk to her about Jesus?
Why couldn't you just try and talk to this stripper about Jesus in a normal setting like say over a cup of coffee and show her the love of the Lord there in a less confrontational way?

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That would involve deception, wouldn't it?
To hire her as a stripper and then when she arrives you actually deceived her into thinking that is not what you hired her for.
Is this what you mean?
Also, would all the bachelor men be Christian?
Would there be alcohol at the bachelor party?
Would they want to talk to her about Jesus?
Why couldn't you just try and talk to this stripper about Jesus in a normal setting like say over a cup of coffee and show her the love of the Lord there in a less confrontational way?
Deception? I suppose so, but in the same way you invite someone to a surprise party under a cover story.

As far as hiring a stripper as a party guest, I didn't necessarily mean a bachelor party, just any kind of party.

Not in so many words. But I was invited to a bachelor dinner before a friend of mine got married. We went to a nice place and had dinner, but afterwards the group wanted to go to a strip club. Strip clubs aren't my thing. But I felt obligated so I went. One of the girls in the club came up and asked if I wanted a lap dance. I told her no but asked her to sit at the bar with me. After talking to her about her drug addiction and how she lost her children to the State I tucked a 20 in her top. She asked what it was for and I told her that's what I would likely have paid her to dance and I wanted her to be paid for her time. She didn't quite get it.
This is amazing. I've heard Jason Evert talk about actually talking to strippers, and finding out how broken they tend to be.

This is really what our faith is about; just reaching out & loving people, the least of His people, in unexpected ways.

Thank you for doing this, and may Gid bless us all, especially the stripper!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Deception? I suppose so, but in the same way you invite someone to a surprise party under a cover story.

As far as hiring a stripper as a party guest, I didn't necessarily mean a bachelor party, just any kind of party.

And where is it biblical to deceive someone as a part of a birthday part? Are surprise parties biblical? I still see it as deception. It would be dishonest. But the Bible says,

"...Provide things honest in the sight of all men." (Romans 12:17).

You said:
This is amazing. I've heard Jason Evert talk about actually talking to strippers, and finding out how broken they tend to be.

This is really what our faith is about; just reaching out & loving people, the least of His people, in unexpected ways.

Thank you for doing this, and may Gid bless us all, especially the stripper!

I prefer looking to Jesus and His commands. While it is good to be loving to strippers and to reach them with the gospel of Jesus Christ, we should be concerned in doing this for all people and not just strippers alone. All people need the gospel and need the love of God.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't tried this in my home - I don't usually even invite friends over - but I like the idea of doing it in a church setting or somewhere in a group. I think it would be appreciated by the people invited, you'll learn stuff about them and perhaps yourself. I don't see many downsides to it.

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No I have not. I’m afraid of inviting strangers that might attack me later. I know that the Bible says that by doing basically that you might entertain angels unaware I’m not willing to take the risk. The closest I came to anything like that was in high school I joined an on campus club called best buddies and it is designed to connect the mentally handicapped kids with the rest of the student population and make friends. The mentally handicapped kids that I met were some of the kindest and loving people. Unfortunately I left after a year because I felt that when the leaders of the group took the mentally handicapped kids on field trips they were not being nearly careful enough so I left because I was afraid of being partially responsible for something bad happening to those kids. I told the leader my concerns but they just got mad at me. A year later I saw an article in the high school newspaper saying that the club was basically in deep dodo because of the reckless endangerment of the vulnerable kids although I can’t remember the specifics

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the thought of obeying this teaching of Jesus is a good one. It really brings light to this dark world. However, we must remember that Jesus asks us to not share these good deeds with anyone. He asks us to keep it a secret.

Matthew 6:1-4, "
1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet (let others know you are giving/gave alms before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

In peace

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
He asks us to keep it a secret.

Matthew 6:1-4, "
1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet (let others know you are giving/gave alms before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

In peace
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

Don't be seen doing good things, but make sure everyone sees your good things?

This is a topic I've discussed a lot with Christians, and we've all come to the consensus that it's all about intentions. Don't be like the hypocrites, and do good works to bring attention to yourself; but if you're doing them for God, let them be seen, because it's for God's glory.

And considering you have the verses I mentioned in your signature, I'd say you're saying this about us sharing stories of our good works. Here, I think it's very good to share what we've done, to inspire the rest of us to do similar things. Besides, we're anonymous, and really only known as Christians.

Thoughts?

May God's blessings be ever in our souls.:liturgy:

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

Don't be seen doing good things, but make sure everyone sees your good things?

This is a topic I've discussed a lot with Christians, and we've all come to the consensus that it's all about intentions. Don't be like the hypocrites, and do good works to bring attention to yourself; but if you're doing them for God, let them be seen, because it's for God's glory.

And considering you have the verses I mentioned in your signature, I'd say you're saying this about us sharing stories of our good works. Here, I think it's very good to share what we've done, to inspire the rest of us to do similar things. Besides, we're anonymous, and really only known as Christians.

Thoughts?

May God's blessings be ever in our souls.:liturgy:
Well my thoughts depend on whether or not you can consider that you and your friends positions are wrong?

If not, then it doesn't matter what I say because it will only go to deaf ears.

In peace

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married