Has anyone received the gift of tongues unexpectedly / without any prior knowledge of the gift?

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I know that many people are taught about the gifts of the Spirit in their congregations before they receive them, and therefore some might object that there is some psychological "pre-conditioning" going on, because people are being taught what to expect. Like a learned behavior. Some churches even "teach" how to speak in tongues, and I've even seen preachers lay hands on people and say "let it flow, let it flow, repeat after me, dadabasara ...".

But what about genuine, spontaneous, unexpected manifestations of the gift of tongues? Like Cornelius and his household in Acts 10, who suddenly, without anybody telling them anything, out of nowhere received the baptism of the Holy Spirit by surprise and began to speak in other tongues spontaneously. Nobody taught them about the Holy Spirit, nobody told them about the gift of tongues, nobody said to them "repeat after me", "let it flow", etc. Nobody even laid hands on them. It was 100% unexpected. In fact, Peter and the other Jewish believers that were with him were all in shock, they didn't see it coming.

Has anyone ever had a similar unexpected, spontaneous manifestation of the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues as the Gentiles in Acts 10, without any prior teaching, having no prior knowledge about the Holy Spirit, the gifts of the Spirit, etc. (thus ruling out any possibility of psychological "pre-conditioning")?

I highly doubt that any of us received our salvation/filling of The Spirit that way.

What I mean is, the Apostles and Cornelius's household were both born again and immediately filled with The Holy Spirit. GOD bypassed water immersion/baptism.

I look at it as GOD's sort of mark upon what He was doing. He initiated it and made it happen, both times.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wait. You spoke in English and they thought you were speaking in Italian, and they spoke in Italian and you thought they were speaking in English ????!!! What was the context of all this? What were you guys talking about? Did this experience have any impact/transcendence on your faith and walk with Christ?
The message was for them and am glad I was included. His family comes from deep rooted Roman Catholicism and he decided to kept the 7th day sabbath instead. The way I see it now is a very positive event.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's a diversities of tongues I Cor 12 Usually referred to as private prayer language and tongues for interpretation. Tongues/His Spirit languages are available to every believer because tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers ("Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: ....I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) With the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6) Also, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;..." Mark 16:17

There won't always be an interpreter "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God" I Cor 14

Speaking in a language understood by a listener but not a language that's been learned by the believer - sometimes that happens like on Pentecost. There are numerous purposes for speaking in tongues including "... he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself..." I Cor 14:4 + " ...they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God..." Acts 10:46 Also, the church can be edfied with a message of tongues with interpretation..I Cor 14:5.

"We're to desire spiritual gifts (i Cor 14:1) "So [to conclude], my brethren, earnestly desire and set your hearts on prophesying (on being inspired to preach and teach and to interpret God’s will and purpose), and do not forbid or hinder speaking in [unknown] tongues." v39

Last edited:
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So often the divine prayer language is skipped over and people jump right to the public expression, the personal divine prayer language is the best, fastest, most fruitful way I know to "stay in Him" and enjoy personal, obedient, productive, relationship with Him.
bless you brother

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did. Received this gift without praying for it. It builds my faith.

Awesome. How did you receive the gift? Did someone lay hands on you? Were you in a church? Were you alone at home? What was the context?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But when you spoke in tongues for the first time, were you spreading the gospel to foreigners around you? Have you ever preached to someone in an unknown foreign language?
There is nothing in the Scripture that says that tongues is for the purpose of spreading the Gospel to foreigners. Remember the rules of this forum - that it is for Pentecostals and Charismatics that speaking and praying in tongues is to God, and that no person understands what is being said except God Himself, because it is speaking mysteries in the Spirit. Also, the OP asked a question, and your post is not answering the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums