Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you know if there are some Christian related stuff or is it just advice and history?

I've read the Babylonian Talmud. There is nothing in it that can be identified as Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have an edition of the Babylonian Talmud in my Logos library. It is a combination of the Mishnah (oral Torah, tradition of the elders) and basically a commentary. Although I have it I rarely refer to it. There is not much I would call Christian (it has some anti-christian passages) although it may come in handy as primary source material if you are academically inclined. I would also say that to use the Talmud effectively as a primary source you should have a background in biblical Hebrew. Mine is not so good which may explain why I don't use it much. Also many of the topics that come up as a christian rarely have to do with anything the Talmud addresses. In other words if you want to study Rabbinical Judaism you may find use for the Talmud, otherwise its a waste of time. Keep in mind the Words of Jesus in Mark 7. (ESV)

This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;
7 in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

8 You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.”

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have an edition of the Babylonian Talmud in my Logos library. It is a combination of the Mishnah (oral Torah, tradition of the elders) and basically a commentary. Although I have it I rarely refer to it. There is not much I would call Christian (it has some anti-christian passages) although it may come in handy as primary source material if you are academically inclined. I would also say that to use the Talmud effectively as a primary source you should have a background in biblical Hebrew. Mine is not so good which may explain why I don't use it much. Also many of the topics that come up as a christian rarely have to do with anything the Talmud addresses. In other words if you want to study Rabbinical Judaism you may find use for the Talmud, otherwise its a waste of time. Keep in mind the Words of Jesus in Mark 7. (ESV)

This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;
7 in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

8 You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.”
So the Talmud have stuff Jesus criticized?

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So the Talmud have stuff Jesus criticized?
Yes, if the traditions are indeed the same. The Mishnah was codified sometime in the third century so the tradition may not be exactly the same.

Upvote 0