Elderone

Mar 31, 2004
SW PA
✟11,217.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If so, what is you impression of his book. I've been thinking of getting it but I'll wait for opinions.

Thanks,

Frank.

I have the two volume set and periodically pick a subject and read it. At 1621 pages, without the bibliography and indexes, it can be heavy going straight through. It is the definitive work, IMO, definitely worth the money.

Upvote 0

larryjf

Dec 28, 2004
Boothwyn, PA
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Institutes are considered one of the half dozen or so classics of theology, others being things like the Summa Theologica by Aquinas. The Institutes was not intended to be original, as some of Luther's theology was. It was supposed to be a straightforward presentation of basic theology. As such it is really good. I refer to it all the time.

Some sections will be uninteresting, because he goes into arguments refuting people that you've never heard of. You may want to skip them.

Don't expect to find lots of time devoted to "Calvinist" topics such as predestination. Calvin certainly teaches those, but they're not the heart of his theology.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I just got John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion and plan to dig in soon as I finish my current book by Joel Beeke! Wonderful to have such great books available to teach and encourage us!

I've been to two of Joel Beekes conferences and took the tour of Puritan Reformed Seminary last year. The 'Puritan room' was an especial treat with a few originals including some puritan works with handwritten notes by Spurgeon himself.

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Don't expect to find lots of time devoted to "Calvinist" topics such as predestination. Calvin certainly teaches those, but they're not the heart of his theology.

I've heard it said that the Holy Spirit was at the heart of Calvin's theology

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A few years back I started the reading plan but didn’t finish. Too many books in the way but now I have time. Thanks for the reminder!

I have the two volume edition and the single volume edition as well. The two volume has a few issues, I prefer the single volume.

The plan: http://www.chapellibrary.org/index.php/literature/title-catalog/?fldCode=rcii

The single volume: Institutes of the Christian Religion, Beveridge Translation

You can read about the translation issues here: Institutes of the Christian Religion: John Calvin: 9781598561685: Amazon.com: Books

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0