Has anyone done Theopostic counsilling?

chi_cchick

Jul 2, 2008
✟7,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I went to one a few months ago to talk and discovered a whole lot of old memories about my relationship with my parents and how I felt like I've been alone all these years. Although I didn't feel like God was talking to me directly I got these weird feelings all over my body, and alot of things were revealed to me.

What are your experiances with it?

The primary theory behind theophostic counseling is that many issues that require counseling, such as depression and anger, are based on falsehoods that a person believes based on comments made about them by others, based on errant teachings, and from bad experiences in his/her life. The goal of theophostic counseling is to lead a person to Jesus for healing and allow Him to reveal the truth to the suffering person. Examples of this would be a young man who believes he was at fault for his parents’ divorce, or a woman who experiences constant shame as a result of a sexual act she feels God will not forgive her of. Theophostic counseling seeks to reveal the lies and expose them to the truth – that we are not responsible for the sinful actions of others and that God can and will forgive us and cleanse us of all of our sins.
Many people do believe lies about painful events in their lives. These lies can cause pain, depression, and unbiblical beliefs about God, forgiveness, and salvation. Exposing these lies to truth of God’s Word and the love and grace of Jesus will bring spiritual and emotional healing.

:angel:

LadyMinister

LadyMinister
Jun 18, 2010
Middle Tennessee
✟7,660.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The list would be too long and this space is too limited to begin to tell you how false theophostics is... Been there/Seen that.
Chi Cchick: A Holy Spirit-filled--Bible Believing Church and your active participation and loving faith in the Lord Jesus and His Word is all you need.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2010
✟15,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think it might depend on the theophostic prayer minister (I am not sure how they refer to themselves) that you see. If their beliefs don't match up with the bible than you should find someone else. Interview them. Find out as much as you can. If they refuse to answer your questions then there is something wrong. If their beliefs don't line up with the bible then don't go any further with them.
I went to two different people. One was Catholic and tried to convert me to Cahtholicism. The other had similar biblical beliefs as myself.
I didn't go to too many sessions with the second one but it was really just prayer and releasing hurt feelings to God. I realized some things about myself that were helpful.

Never go into any type of couselling/prayer ministry without research and a full understanding of what it is all about.

Upvote 0

Fire Angel

Jul 15, 2010
Canada
✟15,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is very important to find a good counselor and one who is a Christian, and i agree in the same understandings as you are is very helpful. I go to a good counselor who does listen to the Holy Spirit and does also Theophostic, I myself does the same kind of counseling, for me in receiving healing myself in this way find it very healing, and my own experience in helping others in this area, I find they get goo results. I was doing this kind of counseling before they even called it this name. But it is important to go to someone you know who can help you. I hope this helps in what i have shared.

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think this type of counseling could be very helpful if the counselor supported the client in developing a relationship with God. The lies that are supposedly revealed through this counseling can be revealed directly by God, by reading the Bible.

...HHM

Upvote 0

papaJP

Prophet
Nov 15, 2010
Kerrville, Texas
✟15,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has a scriptural basis but most of those I find who call themselves following are really not allowing God to do what He wants through the Holy Spirit. They follow to direct the techniques of traditional counseling. I have studied it and have gone to some counseling to see how it was being conducted. It was not helpful like traditional therapy it just dug up the bad and rotten without giving God the opportunity to heal. The limits of one person being the counselor without others to hear God and the prompting of the Holy Spirit allows openings for error.
I do healing counseling but I do it in small groups where their are a group who are praying cover for the healing and the revealing of what has happened. I have found that their have been times when satan and many evil spirits are revealed and without cover it is dangerous.
I have went through a 9 hour prayer in small group healing and it released me so that I was filled with the Holy Spirit and released to grow closer to God and what He wants me to be.
Now 20+ years later I am so full of the peace that passes understanding and the spiritual guidance of the Holy Spirit that I have learned to listen and follow.

Upvote 0