Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't get why you're celebrating this. Rome was a devilish pagan entity full of the riches of this world. Rome as in the RCC =/= to Rome the pagan empire.
Christianity conquered the Roman Empire and God used it as his instrument to spread the truth throughout the world. I don't think anybody would have a problem celebrating the Birthday of Saint Paul just because he started out as a persecutor of Christians. The Empire eventually became a force for good.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I thought Rome was older? it is amazing how young some stuff is, like we advanced SO much since the time of Christ, it is really amazing

It's the traditional date they gave themselves. Archeology has shown the site of Rome to have been inhabited for far longer though.

Upvote 0

Irenaeus

Sub tuum praesidium confugimus!
May 16, 2004
USA
✟18,468.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right. The date basically comes from Varro and a few other extrapolations. I'm not saying we celebrate the Roman Empire/Republic/Kingdom because they were that, but moreso because Rome is the city which was destined to be the site of the martyrdom of Sts. Peter and Paul and the Mother Church of Christendom.

Even if we want to say they were pagan and corrupt, I take the point of GK Chesterton in The Everlasting Man: that Rome and Greece were glorious, although certainly under the influence of evil forces. However, consider what a world would have been like if say, Carthage won the Punic Wars and annihilated Rome.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't get why you're celebrating this. Rome was a devilish pagan entity full of the riches of this world. Rome as in the RCC =/= to Rome the pagan empire.

I like to celebrate the good aspects of ancient Roman culture. Gravitas, pietas, familias, et cetera. Plus it's fun to learn bits of classical Latin.

Upvote 0