Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, here I have to agree with you.

Although as far was wood asorbing wine concerned. That why God invented wood sealant and mineral oil.

But the sealant and mineral oil could possibly intermingle as well.

I say stick with the glass. If the Bishop won't do anything about it, I would let it go. That's what I did. I then prayed for a new Bishop, and we got one (sorry Buffalo). The power of prayer. Problem solved.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟69,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But the sealant and mineral oil could possibly intermingle as well.

I say stick with the glass. If the Bishop won't do anything about it, I would let it go. That's what I did. I then prayed for a new Bishop, and we got one (sorry Buffalo). The power of prayer. Problem solved.
I feel I like I'm in one the bar discussion that gets more and more detailed even though no one knows what in tarnation they're talking about on this but.......

As a practical matter, if you're going to get crazy about it, gold is really soft and at a microscopic level, oxidizes by sloffing atoms. I mean gold can contaminate the Offering as well.

Anything can really.

No column 8 of the periodic table: copper. silver and platiumn. They oxidinze different, but you get my point.

Even if you don't, this has, after all, deevolved to babbling.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,100,545.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed.

I stopped holding hands during the Our Father because it completely distracted me from the prayer it also distracted me in the minutes prior to holding our hands as I try to dry my sweaty hands (at Mass I keep my hands together pretty much through all of the Mass, except for during the homily when I put my arm around my wife).
I love holding hands during the "Our Father" because, at my son's Confirmation, when I was singing with the Choir, I felt the Holy Spirit manifest Himself like a bolt of electricity.

And my son's Confirmation sponsor, my brother, who has MS and had been failing, was limping up to Communion, and I said, "Dear Lord, take a little bit of the power you are manifesting in this Church and help my brother."

And as he walked past the Choir, he straightened up, and started walking perfectly.....and continued to walk perfectly for another year....

That was fifteen years ago....he is still walking, although he has failed and slowed down some....

I have experienced a few miracles in my life, and that was one of them.....

And I was brought to that heartfelt prayer because I held hands during the Our Father.

I think that most of us could use more miracles in our life....and less edicts...

Particularly when the edict might prevent future miracles from happening...

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
I feel I like I'm in one the bar discussion that gets more and more detailed even though no one knows what in tarnation they're talking about on this but.......

As a practical matter, if you're going to get crazy about it, gold is really soft and at a microscopic level, oxidizes by sloffing atoms. I mean gold can contaminate the Offering as well.

Anything can really.

No column 8 of the periodic table: copper. silver and platiumn. They oxidinze different, but you get my point.

Even if you don't, this has, after all, deevolved to babbling.

Hey I don't make the rules. But if you must disemble be my guest.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have experienced a few miracles in my life, and that was one of them.....

And I was brought to that heartfelt prayer because I held hands during the Our Father.

I think that most of us could use more miracles in our life....and less edicts...

Particularly when the edict might prevent future miracles from happening...

I am happy for your brother. And thank you for your testimony. However, I think it important to remember that the Spirit goes and does what He wills and does not rely solely on whether the person "holds hands" or not. Many of my elder brothers and sisters, and I too have experienced many miracles (large and small) and I assure you that it wasn't because any of us have chosen not to hold hands at Mass. (You know, your brother's healing just may have been because of yours or even some ancester's prayers or for some other reason we'll never know until we stand before Jesus.)I

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Holding hands during the Our Father makes me uncomfortable, because the Eucharist is the source and summit of Christian unity. If you listen to the prayers during the Liturgy of the Eucharist, the priest actually says that we are united by the Holy Spirit, through the Eucharist. It's also not encouraged by the GIRM. I think of it as a protestant practice that's seeped into the mass.

What really concerns me is when the priest himself will make a chain behind the altar, holding hands with the Extra-ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. He's not supposed to encourage, or discourage, the practice. There's a lot of pressure to conform, when the priest himself does it. But if someone reaches for my hand - in spite of me having closed my eyes and interlaced my fingers - it's not like I'm going to slap their hand down and say "Bad Catholic!" There's a point where love steps in, esp. when something is not explicitly forbidden by the GIRM, as is in this case.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
As far as chalice materials are concerned, I think it's a matter of degree. Personally, I wouldn't want to drink from any wooden vessel, be it at mass or at a fine restaurant. I think the possibility of absorbing into wood is significant, esp. with unfinished wood. Heck, there's an entire branch of science that deals with liquid absorption into timber. Crystal/glass/pottery, is just scary to me, because it breaks so easily, and there's a significant chance of that happening, esp. when the chalice is being exchanged between hundreds of people. I think metal is better, because there's little chance for absorption. The type of metal isn't so much a concern for me, unless it's dropping off clumps of rust into the Blood. Like I said, a matter of degree. And of course, I think it should be relatively aesthetically pleasing. Other than that, I don't see a problem.

Upvote 0

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The main problem is the distrust of the Church. Some people seem to think that if they become obiedient to the Church they will somehow lose some special something. Some say they would be mindless drones.

Again, the more we practice obiedience to the Church the more grace we shall recieve. Every saint followed that path- even if the Church hierarchy was corrupt and/or irrational. Look up saints Gemma, Teresa of Avila, Therese of Liseuix (incorrect spelling), and even Peter for goodness sakes (How Jesus and Paul rebuked him in the NT). [notice the Carmelite saints- if I ever become a religious I'd surely be a Carmelite]

If the percieved victimization of other people looking low on you bothers you then consider the Beatitudes and the good ol' "Deny yourself, Carry Your Cross, and Follow Me" might work out in the scenario. It certainly guarantees unfathomable blessings to have the fortitude under fire.

We are called to be a better people. More than nitpicky humans. We are called for heroic virtue. We are called to be saints on earth- the light/salt of the earth.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.