Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it's not at all. The war crime is in using them as such.

"there are three principles for conduct in war:
  • Discrimination (distinguishing between enemy combatants and non-combatants)
  • Proportionality (the harms must be proportional to the gains)
  • Actions must be militarily necessary"

I don't think Israel's decision to bomb heavily populated areas meets any of these prinicples.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

"there are three principles for conduct in war:
  • Discrimination (distinguishing between enemy combatants and non-combatants)
  • Proportionality (the harms must be proportional to the gains)
  • Actions must be militarily necessary"

I don't think Israel's decision to bomb heavily populated areas meets any of these prinicples.

Israel has shown incredible care in preventing civilian casualties, in similar type situations I think they have done a better job than 99% of the countries in the history of the world.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,191.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First of all let's dispel the notion that this is some sort of camp. It's not some makeshift tent encampment. It's actually a city with buildings.
How is this relevant? Tents vs buildings makes no difference to the families of those innocents killed.
Secondly the strike was on legitimate military targets that were hiding among citizens.
What target? Please be specific. An IDF official conceded that they were after one commander. And dozens of innocents died.
It depends on what rhetoric people are using. If one is accusing Israel of Apartheid, Genocide etc. then I think anti-Semetic may be in play.
Whataboutism. I have never denied that it would be inappropriate to accuse Israel of genocide or apartheid.
When one spends 95% of their time criticizing Israel and 5% criticizing Hamas and their terroristic actions then anti-Semetic may b in play.
Irrelevant. My point is true by definition: one can indeed be opposed to Israel's policy and not be an anti-semite. You are moving the goalposts. Yes, if someone were to criticize Israel and remain silent on Hamas then, yes, anti-semitism is in play. But that was never my point.
When one blames Israel for the actions of Hamas then anti-Semetic seems to fit.
This is a very tenuous argument. If someone mounts an argument that Israel's policies encouraged the formation of Hamas and their actions, that is not an anti-semitic position if the arguments are sound. I am not saying that such a case can be made; I am simply pointing out that to make a plausible case that Israel's policies have contributed to what Hamas eventually did, is not evidence of anti-semitism.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,191.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Israel has shown incredible care in preventing civilian casualties,....
What evidence do you have for this assertion? An argument that they warned people is evidence of taking some care, but not incredible care. But, and this is really important, if you know that the people you warn may not even receive the warning and / or are not practically able to flee (e.g., they are ill or have nowhere to go), then the warnings are not really exculpatory.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Israel has shown incredible care in preventing civilian casualties, in similar type situations I think they have done a better job than 99% of the countries in the history of the world.
Doesn't seem that way.

More children killed in Gaza than in global conflicts annually over past 4 years, Save the Children says

The number of children reported killed in Gaza during Israel’s military campaign over the past three weeks has surpassed the annual number of children killed in armed conflict globally in each of the past four years, according to Save the Children.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,650.00
Country
United States
Faith