Visit site
✟15,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did anyone catch O'Reilly last night? He had a segment talking about the University of California at Irvine allowing students to wear green sashes in honor of the Terrorist group Hamas at their graduation. And the chancelor and president of the school says, "We have no choice as it is their first ammendment rights" Give me a break. How quick to quote the first ammendment, but yet not a month ago when someone baptizes another in a public river, they are in danger of facing legal actions against them as they are involving church with state. How ridiculous this country has gotten in twisting the laws and the words of the laws. The same radical Muslim movement at the school also had the mastermind behind the 9-11 attacks at their school months prior to 9-11 to speak about "How to rid the world of the Jews" Absolutely sickening.

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
GW_in_04 said:
Did anyone catch O'Reilly last night? He had a segment talking about the University of California at Irvine allowing students to wear green sashes in honor of the Terrorist group Hamas at their graduation. And the chancelor and president of the school says, "We have no choice as it is their first ammendment rights" Give me a break. How quick to quote the first ammendment, but yet not a month ago when someone baptizes another in a public river, they are in danger of facing legal actions against them as they are involving church with state. How ridiculous this country has gotten in twisting the laws and the words of the laws. The same radical Muslim movement at the school also had the mastermind behind the 9-11 attacks at their school months prior to 9-11 to speak about "How to rid the world of the Jews" Absolutely sickening.

I am with you. I guess you can say anything you want as long as it has nothing to do with God.

Upvote 0

GW_in_04

G-Dubbin'
Jun 4, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
✟15,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
burrow_owl said:
some people wanted to use a river in a public park for baptisms; the ranger or head of the park told them he'd need to check out the legality of it before they did any more.
actually they were kicked out the park and told they would face legal actions if they tried it again without written consent from the rangers and/or state park.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honoring Hamas is stupid. But since it was student led, it doesn't violate the 1st amendment. Just bad taste. If they wanted to honor someone, they should honor the innocent victims of both Isreal and the Palestinians.

If the Rangers only issue was they didn't have a permit to do the baptism on public property, then that's their problem. There are laws about public usage. If they had obtained the permit, then yes, they should have gone ahead with the baptisms.

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
HumbleMan said:
Honoring Hamas is stupid. But since it was student led, it doesn't violate the 1st amendment. Just bad taste. If they wanted to honor someone, they should honor the innocent victims of both Isreal and the Palestinians.

If the Rangers only issue was they didn't have a permit to do the baptism on public property, then that's their problem. There are laws about public usage. If they had obtained the permit, then yes, they should have gone ahead with the baptisms.
i agree, though saying what someone else "should" honor goes beyond my viewpoint.
as for the baptism, was there swimming allowed in the lake? if so, bad call ranger. if not, they were being held to the same standard as anyone else that had tried to swim in it. verbotten.

Upvote 0

JLovesUSo

Aug 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟360.00
Faith
Christian
I'm so sick of liberals flying the first amendment flag when it's just a one way street as far as they're concerned. Conservatives never have the right to use it and if they try - the media and the liberals are out in full force then.

Sen Tom Harkin (D - of course) recently submitted an amendment for "fairness in the Armed forces radio" and then after it passed stated that Rush Limbaugh should be taken off the schedule. Never mind the fact NPR is all over the schedule and it is government sponsored which leans a lot more to the left than it should supposedly down the middle.

Yeah, the Democrats want you to have your first amendment rights - they just will decide which are the "rights" you should be allowed to have.....

Oh, also check out the "who we are" on the supposed media research firm mediamatters.org that "lauded this decision" and see how many DNC-types people are on the board. They're an arm of the DNC - there's no doubt about that one for sure....

here's to the news discussing it.....

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, Tom Harkin could always add Air America to the venue, but then we all know how that would go over on Armed Forces Radio. ;) Wait... maybe that's why he just wants Rush banned... :)

P.S.

Sorry..... back to topic :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
reverend B said:
i agree, though saying what someone else "should" honor goes beyond my viewpoint.
I was just saying that if they were going to honor anyone, they could have picked a much worthier cause.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
JLovesUSo said:
Sen Tom Harkin (D - of course) recently submitted an amendment for "fairness in the Armed forces radio" and then after it passed stated that Rush Limbaugh should be taken off the schedule. Never mind the fact NPR is all over the schedule and it is government sponsored which leans a lot more to the left than it should supposedly down the middle.
I don't think Rush is a fair counterpoint to NPR. If the argument is that there also should be a right-leaning political/news show, they'll have to find one that isn't helmed by a lone, raving polemicist.

Upvote 0

JLovesUSo

Aug 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟360.00
Faith
Christian
Well, let's see - we definitely know which way our friend Dan Rather ("I give 5 stars for Bill's new book...") leans and Mr Jim Hightower is part of the BushHatersofAmerica group as well.

I would bet that what really urks Tom and his fellow Democrats is that like in the US - Rush is probably one of the highest rated shows and of course that means the dems wanted it censored............

Here's a link to all the other shows on their schedule that Tom thinks it's ok for them to stay on the schedule - just not Rush.......

http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/radio/afn/schedule.asp

Upvote 0

27D4

Jul 12, 2003
California
Visit site
✟500.00
Faith
Protestant
Found a link at: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-uci18jun18,1,4703533.story?coll=la-headlines-california

"The Arab-Israeli conflict has stretched from the Middle East to UC Irvine as students and administrators debate the meaning of green stoles some Muslim students plan to wear over their robes at this weekend's graduation.

The stoles, critics say, are meant to show support for the terrorist group Hamas; the Muslim Student Union says the stoles represent religious solidarity."

Sounds to me like a bit of an over reaction...

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
27D4 said:
Found a link at: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-uci18jun18,1,4703533.story?coll=la-headlines-california

"The Arab-Israeli conflict has stretched from the Middle East to UC Irvine as students and administrators debate the meaning of green stoles some Muslim students plan to wear over their robes at this weekend's graduation.

The stoles, critics say, are meant to show support for the terrorist group Hamas; the Muslim Student Union says the stoles represent religious solidarity."

Sounds to me like a bit of an over reaction...

Plus, I'd like to see a picture of the stoles, to see if they said "shahada" or la ilaha il Allah wa Muhammadur rasul Allah. Shahada is primarily the muslim declaration of faith, "there is nothing worthy of worship but God and Muhammad is the messanger of God." Shaheed is a form of the base word, used for martyrs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums