Hamas Brutality Illuminates College Officialdom’s Broken Moral Compass

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
My point is a conservative one--bad behavior should not be rewarded. I know it is not woke. Let them pay their own tuition, whether it be Nazis or KKK, taxpayer money should not be used to fund such individuals or groups.
How many of the students in question in the OP have their tuition paid by taxpayers? I mean if you are going to accuse them and threaten to take away tax dollars, you should already know who is using taxpayer dollars for their tuition, otherwise you are just yelling at the clouds.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
My point is a conservative one--bad behavior should not be rewarded. I know it is not woke. Let them pay their own tuition, whether it be Nazis or KKK, taxpayer money should not be used to fund such individuals or groups.
Are you saying that the government should be able to discriminate against certain people or groups solely based on the viewpoints they express?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that the government should be able to discriminate against certain people or groups solely based on the viewpoints they express?
Absolutely. Let's say a student gets up and says he is going to shoot students and teachers around the campus who disagree with him. I don't think such a student should be publicly funded. By all means students should have freedom of speech, but as young adults they should be held accountable for what they say. A student Nazi group demonstrates on campus, but I say if they espouse killing of Jews, encouraging people to kill Jews, they should not receive any public funds. Do you realize that universities already decide which groups are funded and which are not, that is, that they discriminate?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How many of the students in question in the OP have their tuition paid by taxpayers? I mean if you are going to accuse them and threaten to take away tax dollars, you should already know who is using taxpayer dollars for their tuition, otherwise you are just yelling at the clouds.
I am not threatening anything. we are having a discussion. Many of the universities are public, and even private universities like Harvard receive millions of dollars of federal funds.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Absolutely. Let's say a student gets up and says he is going to shoot students and teachers around the campus who disagree with him. I don't think such a student should be publicly funded. By all means students should have freedom of speech, but as young adults they should be held accountable for what they say. A student Nazi group demonstrates on campus, but I say if they espouse killing of Jews, encouraging people to kill Jews, they should not receive any public funds. Do you realize that universities already decide which groups are funded and which are not, that is, that they discriminate?
Viewpoint discrimination is specifically against the First Amendment though. Your first example is an example of a true threat, which isn't covered by the 1A, but your second example, and the OP for that matter, are much more generalized which means they do not fall under that exception. And I also wonder exactly what you mean by "publicly funding a student."

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I am not threatening anything. we are having a discussion. Many of the universities are public, and even private universities like Harvard receive millions of dollars of federal funds.
Take one word out and make a post on it without answering the question. That means you have no idea if any of them are receiving tax dollars for their tuition, so you comment is baseless.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Viewpoint discrimination is specifically against the First Amendment though. Your first example is an example of a true threat, which isn't covered by the 1A, but your second example, and the OP for that matter, are much more generalized which means they do not fall under that exception. And I also wonder exactly what you mean by "publicly funding a student."
You didn't answer my question: "Do you realize that universities already decide which groups are funded and which are not, that is, that they discriminate?" Students, young adults, like the rest of us, have freedom of speech. That does not mean that adults cannot be held accountable for what they say. Universities that promote violence or racism should not, in my opinion, receive any federal funds. That's for starters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
You didn't answer my question: "Do you realize that universities already decide which groups are funded and which are not, that is, that they discriminate?" Students, like the rest of us, have freedom of speech. That does not mean that adults cannot be held accountable for what they say.
You did not answer my question. How does it feel?

You do realize most if not all of the students are adults, right?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You didn't answer my question: "Do you realize that universities already decide which groups are funded and which are not, that is, that they discriminate?"
This is true. But state schools don't discriminate based on viewpoints, which is what you want to do.
Students, young adults, like the rest of us, have freedom of speech. That does not mean that adults cannot be held accountable for what they say.
Sure, they can be accountable for what they say. But the government can't be the body doing so except in very narrow situations.
Universities that promote violence or racism should not, in my opinion, receive any federal funds. That's for starters.
Can you show any situations where a university, as opposed to students who attend it, have promoted violence or racism?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is true. But state schools don't discriminate based on viewpoints, which is what you want to do.

Sure, they can be accountable for what they say. But the government can't be the body doing so except in very narrow situations.

Can you show any situations where a university, as opposed to students who attend it, have promoted violence or racism?
Of course they have to draw the line on violent groups. You're wrong to think that a university should fund a Nazi group because they have a different viewpoint. Nazis want the extermination of Jews, as does Hamas and Hezbollah and Iran. The world has now a barbaric act, horrible atrocities such as were committed by the Nazis and the Japanese and so many communist regimes. A line needs to be drawn. As to your question, many professors at universities advocate CRT, and universities sanction the teaching of CRT, which promotes racism. Again, there has to be some moral accountability. There should be some minimum moral standards not just at universities, but everywhere. The discrimination against Jews needs to stop. I think the students who tore down signs of missing Israelis should be admonished by the university. For example, Tlaib should be admonished by Democrats for continuing to spread the fake hospital story, which can foster more violent acts:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Of course they have to draw the line on violent groups. You're wrong to think that a university should fund a Nazi group because they have a different viewpoint. Nazis want the extermination of Jews. The world has now seen a similar act by terrorists and those who support it should not be publicly funded. Many professors at universities advocate CRT, which promotes racism. There has to be some moral accountability. I think the students who tore down signs of missing Israelis should be admonished by the university. There should be some minimum moral standards not just at universities, but everywhere. For example, Tlaib should be admonished by Democrats for continuing to spread the fake hospital story, which can foster more violent acts:
Moral accountability? What is that in relation to the law?

None of the people you are speaking about ever said the Jews need to be exterminated. Why are you claiming they did something they did not do?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“Any university or college that peddles blatant antisemitism, especially after Hamas’ brutal attack on Israeli civilians, women and children, has no place molding the minds of future generations, never mind receiving millions of taxpayer funds to do so,” said Senator Scott. “We must not only call out this hate, but crush it wherever it rears its ugly head. If these schools don’t change their ways, my legislation hits them where it hurts – their pocketbooks. No college or university should receive a single cent from the federal government to fund violent antisemitism.”

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
“Any university or college that peddles blatant antisemitism, especially after Hamas’ brutal attack on Israeli civilians, women and children, has no place molding the minds of future generations, never mind receiving millions of taxpayer funds to do so,” said Senator Scott. “We must not only call out this hate, but crush it wherever it rears its ugly head. If these schools don’t change their ways, my legislation hits them where it hurts – their pocketbooks. No college or university should receive a single cent from the federal government to fund violent antisemitism.”
Great to see Senators so eager to pass blatantly unconstitutional laws. Even if this bill were to somehow pass and get signed, it would be challenged in a second because it would put state colleges in an impossible situation.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Great to see Senators so eager to pass blatantly unconstitutional laws. Even if this bill were to somehow pass and get signed, it would be challenged in a second because it would put state colleges in an impossible situation.
I was pleased and rather surprised at the swift action. There's a lot of racism and anti-Semitism in universities, as we all can see the government under Joe has used government resources to quash speech that is not towing the party line. No more money should go to universities that discriminate based upon racist and anti-Semitic views. For example, remember when transgender-rights activist Janet Mock was forced to withdraw from a Brown University event just because a pro-Israel group was cosponsor of the lecture? I wish people had stepped forward then, but now more people can see just how bad it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I was pleased and rather surprised at the swift action.
It's not swift action. This was a bill that was introduced months ago. And there is no way it would withstand constitutional muster since every example given of antisemitism is a form of speech or expression.
There's a lot of racism and anti-Semitism in universities,
Sure, I won't argue that, though i strongly suspect we mean different things.
as we all can see the government under Joe has used government resources to quash speech that is not towing the party line.
When has that happened?
No more money should go to universities that discriminate based upon racist and anti-Semitic views.
If by discrimination you mean taking action against Jews or people of color then I agree with you. But that's not what you mean.
For example, remember when transgender-rights activist Janet Mock was forced to withdraw from a Brown University event just because a pro-Israel group was cosponsor of the lecture? I wish people had stepped forward then, but now more people can see just how bad it is.
She wasn't forced to withdraw. There was a petition circulated against her coming and she chose to cancel her appearance. Not a good look for the students, but well within their rights to express their views.

Upvote 0