King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was merely speaking to your hyperbole. I figured it was, just pointing out that even if it wasn't, you wouldn't be less of a christian. By our natures we fall into seasons sin. That's not the issue at all.

Is watching gratuitous horror films sin? Not per se, I guess I would have to admit. Yet, I don't get why a christian would get entertainment out of it. But ultimately I have to be careful, because it's going to come down to a matter of taste. My favorite film of 2005 was the Exorcism of Emily Rose, based the the true story of Anneliese Michel, and allegedly possessed girl from Germany. It was a very thought provoking courtroom drama, dealing with science and religion. And it was quite emotionally disturbing, which is amazing considering there were no real special effects. The acting was phenomenal. And the message of the film was very edifying.

Compare that to Jason, Freddie and Michael, and there's not comparison. Those're just death and and torture for fun (at least as far as I can recall from 20 years ago).

But can I say you're in sin? As tempting as it is, I cannot say with any certainty. Hope that makes sense.
yeah man I saw that film, too. It scared the urine out of me the first time I saw it, but that's kind of the point. I think that finding that darker side of yourself can sometimes help you learn a bit about you and help you become better as a person as well as improve your relationship with Christ in a way. . . but that's a long story. Also none of the characters that I enjoy watching (aside from Hannibal) are even realistic in the slightest, especially Freddie, so I find it impossible for anyone to take any of it seriously to consider it to be 'sinful' to watch. :thumbsup:
but yes I understand what you're saying.
there's this article I read on another website that I found incredibly funny but also truth-telling Video Games Make Kids Violent? Seriously? « The Misanthrope's Blog

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As a kid I loved Halloween. The boys in our youth group would go out into the country and find a set of abandoned building and set up a scary walk thru. Get a farmer to volunteer a flat bed truck with some hay on it for give kids rides from the church to the scary abandoned house and/or barn we had set up. It was great fun.

Then I came across the Christianity can't redeem group withing Christianity and lot the fun of Halloween. But I'm getting it back now. The Christians like Augustine had not problem with us redeeming pagan holidays. I think we can l look at this the same way Paul teaches us to look at meat offered to idols.

As a kid I didn't see Satan in any of the Halloween activities. I don't see Satan in them now either. But if someone wants Satan to show up and make it evil, Satan will be glad to oblige them.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see nothing wrong with Christians celebrating it myself. However, I personally don't celebrate it and if I ever have children, they probably won't celebrate it with trick or treating. Since it is also All Hallows Eve, we will be celebrating the Christian holiday. That said, I may let my kids trick or treat but if I do, they will not be wearing the demonic looking costumes and they won't be wearing costumes of witches or the devil or anything like that either. I have pretty much always been against such costumes for personal reasons. I feel that costumes like that are basically celebrating demonic things.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see nothing wrong with Christians celebrating it myself. However, I personally don't celebrate it and if I ever have children, they probably won't celebrate it with trick or treating. Since it is also All Hallows Eve, we will be celebrating the Christian holiday. That said, I may let my kids trick or treat but if I do, they will not be wearing the demonic looking costumes and they won't be wearing costumes of witches or the devil or anything like that either. I have pretty much always been against such costumes for personal reasons. I feel that costumes like that are basically celebrating demonic things.

This has been the spirit behind my reluctance for years. You bring up great points, and it's still a very difficult issue for me, even after pondering it for so long. On the one hand, I don't see the harm in having a little fun with things, such as the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. But technically this is an attraction based on occultic ideas. I also enjoy movies once in a while like Lord of the Rings, also clearly based on some occultic ideas. Even Narnia has occultic elements. Then again, what am I saying? Why give the occult any acknowledgement at all!!

My solution at this point, is to bring God and the Bible into it, in order to give it purpose and perspective. Clearly this is what Tolken and Lewis were doing in their films. Clearly this is what the christian producer of the Exorcism of Emily Rose was doing. My hope is, that my Halloween Bible Study over candy (attained through trick or treating) and pumpkin pie will give my kids a rich edifying experience, as well as a heathy fear and respect for the occult.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to my own views, I'd be fine with my future children dressing up as saints, angels, Jesus, or Mary and going house to house to collect candy. I'd also be fine with celebrating the Christian holiday that also occurs on October 31. I think I would honestly prefer to just celebrate the Christian holiday and give my kids some free candy so they don't feel left out of the candy that all the other children are getting.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Halloween is Satan's day to infect and program, wire and condition young children with deceit and sorcery, witchcraft and the occult! :doh:
:thumbsup:

However, just as we should not eat the food pagans sacrifice, we should not accept the candy that is devoted to the evil one!!

1 Cor. 10:25-27 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD’S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS. If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake.

I for one enjoy the candy that they sell at the stores. :D

However, I dislike the practice of costume wearing, the mind set on morbid things, the television programming, and especially children. So again, :thumbsup:. I would like to let you all know I will not be participating in Halloween. EVER!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Amber the Duskbringer

However, just as we should not eat the food pagans sacrifice, we should not accept the candy that is devoted to the evil one!!

1 Cor. 10:25-27 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD’S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS. If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake.

However, I dislike the practice of costume wearing, the mind set on morbid things, the television programming, and especially children. So again, :thumbsup:. I would like to let you all know I will not be participating in Halloween. EVER!!!

I really hope you don't care for christmas then either :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Candy that is distributed to trick or treaters is certainly not "devoted to the evil one." Trick or treaters--unless they are actually Wiccan--do not participate in any Samhain rites. They don't offer food to the god or goddess. They don't burn incense. They don't go about skyclad. They don't hold a Dumb Supper. Instead trick or treaters dress up in costumes and collect candy. Trick or treating has nothing to do with "the evil one."

I for one enjoy the candy that they sell at the stores.

Which is exactly where most people get their Halloween candy.

However, I dislike the practice of costume wearing, the mind set on morbid things, the television programming, and especially children.

You might want to rewrite this sentence. Did you really mean to say that you dislike children????

I would like to let you all know I will not be participating in Halloween. EVER!!!

That's fine. I'll eat your share of the candy.

Upvote 0

Freedom63

Universal Reconciliationist (Eventually)
Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Do you really not realize that the verse you quoted above is DIRECTLY contrary to the point you are trying to make? It clearly states that it is actually fine and of no consequence at all to eat meat offered to imaginary gods by pagans. :doh:

Since the only restriction we have pertaining to eating such meat is to not deliberately offend another's conscience, and since you correctly identified it as being the same type of situation as Halloween, I have a suggestion. If you leave your porch light off I won't come to your door and offend you in my costume. If you don't come to my door asking for candy you won't be offended by my costume.

See how easy this is when we just apply a little common sense? ;)

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really hope you don't care for christmas then either :p
I'm a naughty fellow. :yum:

Candy that is distributed to trick or treaters is certainly not "devoted to the evil one." Trick or treaters--unless they are actually Wiccan--do not participate in any Samhain rites. They don't offer food to the god or goddess. They don't burn incense. They don't go about skyclad. They don't hold a Dumb Supper. Instead trick or treaters dress up in costumes and collect candy. Trick or treating has nothing to do with "the evil one."
Don't take it that far. I was only talking about the food.

Which is exactly where most people get their Halloween candy.
Yep.

You might want to rewrite this sentence. Did you really mean to say that you dislike children????
Don't start quoting Matt. 18 at me. I'm aware of that. My particular disdain stems from experiences and such.

That's fine. I'll eat your share of the candy.
But what if I never get candy? :ebil:

Do you really not realize that the verse you quoted above is DIRECTLY contrary to the point you are trying to make? It clearly states that it is actually fine and of no consequence at all to eat meat offered to imaginary gods by pagans. :doh:

Since the only restriction we have pertaining to eating such meat is to not deliberately offend another's conscience, and since you correctly identified it as being the same type of situation as Halloween, I have a suggestion. If you leave your porch light off I won't come to your door and offend you in my costume. If you don't come to my door asking for candy you won't be offended by my costume.

See how easy this is when we just apply a little common sense? ;)
It's talking about food (so yes, we agree. It's ok to eat Halloween food).

But suppose this was about the subject of homosexuality. Would the same apply? I think not (1 Cor. 6:13). This is strictly limited to food and manners pertaining to dining.

Same does not apply to costume wearing, object (jack o lanterns) placement, etc.

Upvote 0

dandylion1984

Sep 23, 2011
Prince George, BC, Canada
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
We've not celebrated it for years, but I'll be doing something a bit different this year. I'm going to go out trick r treat'n with the kids. Then we'll come home and eat candy and have an evening bible study. Im going to use it at as an opportunity to study the origins and history of death in the Bible. We'll also study what the Bible has to say about Satan, Angels (fallen and holy), and the occult. Pumpkin pie will also be in there somewhere.

That sounds like a great idea! One of my favorite things to do for Hall'o'ween is to dress up and go Trick or Treating for non-perishable foods for the food bank.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dandylion1984

Sep 23, 2011
Prince George, BC, Canada
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
That said, I may let my kids trick or treat but if I do, they will not be wearing the demonic looking costumes and they won't be wearing costumes of witches or the devil or anything like that either. I have pretty much always been against such costumes for personal reasons. I feel that costumes like that are basically celebrating demonic things.

I don't think I would be too comfortable having my (future, hypothetical) kids dress up in anything grusome or disturbing. Luckily, there are plenty of costumes for people to wear, like princesses or firefighters or lions, that don't have anything to do with witches or devils. :)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It was probably mentioned already, but Hallowe'en is a Christian celebration.

Hallowe'en is a contraction for [All] Hallow's Eve[ning], the eve before All Hallow's Day. The word "hallow" is archaic english for "saint" or "holy one", usually preserved today in the traditional English rendering of the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name...". That is it's the evening before All Saints' Day, the Christian feast day in the West to celebrate in memory all the saints and to reflect upon their lives and their witness to Christ.

The notion that Hallowe'en is evil is a modern phenomenon concocted by people who imagine that children in ghost and goblin costumes asking for candy (a practice invented in the early 20th century, with no ancient Druid antecedent in spite of the common misconception) is somehow messing with demonic and devilish forces (it's not).

It's modern mythology, which is ironic since on a day that has in modern times come to represent general "spookiness" a sub-group of Christians have created a rather elaborate ghost story that has nothing actually to do with Hallowe'en but has in a sense become part of the general secular celebrations of it (though quite unintentionally).

A Christian way to celebrate Hallowe'en would be to, on Hallow's Day remember and reflect on the lives of the many saints and Christians who have come and gone, both those saints we have met and known in our own lives who are no longer with us or those who were well before our time. Reflect on them and how they reflected our Lord Jesus Christ for us, in order that we might emulate them and continue to follow Him in word and deed.

And if you want, feel free on Hallowe'en to dress up as Green Lantern or Darth Vader, eat some chocolate, taffy and fun size candy bars and watch a silly spooky movie with friends and/or family. It's okay to be a Christian and have silly fun now and then. Honest.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Freedom63

Universal Reconciliationist (Eventually)
Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's talking about food (so yes, we agree. It's ok to eat Halloween food).

But suppose this was about the subject of homosexuality. Would the same apply? I think not (1 Cor. 6:13). This is strictly limited to food and manners pertaining to dining.

Same does not apply to costume wearing, object (jack o lanterns) placement, etc.

You believe it is limited to "food and manners pertaining to dining", but I completely disagree with that assumption. Paul was using the illustration of meat offered to idols as an example of the larger principle. Besides...you have already demonstrated that you totally misunderstood the verse in the first place. Perhaps you should dig into it a little deeper.

Remember Paul said to the pure in heart all things are pure. This is not because we are ignorant to the fact that some (however many or few) actually worship Satan on Halloween. It is because being pure in heart, worshiping Satan never enters my mind or is a part of the issue at all.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I believe you were one once, and I also believe you're generalizing your own experiences and projecting them to all children everywhere. I know some pretty awesome kids.

The less candy you eat, the more for us. Thanks for that.

Upvote 0