Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyfamily

Mar 5, 2005
✟277.00
Faith
Catholic
Does your family partake in Halloween? If so, do you educate your children from a Christian perspective on the whole "evil persona" of Halloween?

My kids will be dressing up and going out and getting candy. My son wants to be a vampire - and really, I do not have a problem with it(I'ld much rather he dressed as a Saint;) ) but I just remember all the fun I had with it as a kid and do not want to keep that from them.

How do you approach halloween with your kids?

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Does your family partake in Halloween? If so, do you educate your children from a Christian perspective on the whole "evil persona" of Halloween?

My kids will be dressing up and going out and getting candy. My son wants to be a vampire - and really, I do not have a problem with it(I'ld much rather he dressed as a Saint;) ) but I just remember all the fun I had with it as a kid and do not want to keep that from them.

Definately from a religous stand point. My Girlfriend's 2 girls will be princesses.

We will take them trick or treating. The saint thing is a good idea. Can you imagine if Christians can completely take over the holiday and make it saints instead of ghosts and goblins? What a world it would be!

Upvote 0

NiteClerk

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
there
✟49,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We do it as a fun time holiday with the kids knowing the history. My wife is from the Philippines & she used to go to the graveyards to pray at the family crypt at midnight for all Saints day & all Souls day. (And every year we hear the story. :sleep: )

So we sort of combine the two faces of Halloween. And our Catholic school has already had a haunted house.

Bob

Upvote 0

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh please, they're children! To them Halloween is as much about demonic images as Christmas is about friends and family. They get dressed up as children to get candy from the old cat lady down the street, not to try to scare her with their dog costume.
I don't trick or treat, but I am going to a costume party sponsered by our Youth Ministry.
I was thinking of going as a L tetromino, the ghost of video game past.... It worked so well in the video! But I couldn't find and/or pay for the cardboard boxes.
So now I am going as a Roman Senator, hopefully I can make a small gladius and poke people with it.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Its fun ?

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Emily's going to be a tootsie roll and Ben and I are taking her trick or treating, but only to family and close friend's houses. I love Halloween...I also love candy!:D I don't think many people know the origin of Halloween, I had never heard of people not celebrating Halloween til I got on here and I didn't know how it started til I got on here...and even now knowing that it was pagan, so what? I'm not pagan, I certainly don't do witchcraft and such...I just want the candy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I went trick or treating when I was a kid and I always dressed up as a vampire or werewolf or mummy or some other scary thing. It never even crossed my mind that it was anything real or demonic or anything like that--it was always fun. Now that I'm too old for that, I go visit my dad (Halloween is his b-day) and I'll sit out in the driveway with him and distribute candy.

For All Saints Day, the Latin Mass community usually has a picnic and all the little kids dress up as saints, put on skits, and the "audience" gets to try and guess which saint they are. Very adorable :D

Upvote 0

holyfamily

Mar 5, 2005
✟277.00
Faith
Catholic
Where does halloween actually come from?

Here's my plan so far....
(and I may have even been told this myself - I dunno, it's in my head so it cam from somewhere)

Dad to kids,
Well, halloween came from "Hallowed Day" aka All Saints Day.

The day b4 Hallowed Day is hallowed day *eve*. This eventually turned into "HALLOWEEN".

And so, once upon a time, someone thought it would be fun to dress up on halloween to celebrate. Eventually, all the mommies and daddies thought this was so great to see this, they would give everyone that dressed up a treat. *Back then it was an apple or a fruit of some kind. And this eventually grew into the Halloween that we see today.

What do you think?:wave:

*added to put emphasis on being grascious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like a plan HolyMary.

Definately from a religous stand point. My Girlfriend's 2 girls will be princesses.

We will take them trick or treating. The saint thing is a good idea. Can you imagine if Christians can completely take over the holiday and make it saints instead of ghosts and goblins? What a world it would be!

The ghosts remind me of souls in purgatory. Just my own way of rememberance.

Don't have any kids, if I did I would certainly let them go trick or treating. This wierd thing the fundamentalist protestant world has developed with Halloween is beyond pointless.

Yep...did ya notice more and more everything is 'pagan' to them? :scratch:

send the kids to the rich homes and get the good candy :thumbsup:

^_^ Wish I knew who was rich...lol
I like the potato chips and the king size bars. Both of which have disappeared...or I should say, where we live, its not the norm.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
O BTW...I said I would be wearing something for Halloween...tada. I am a banana. :p

2 years ago...while leaving my in laws house, there was a growling bear close to the house. Ya better believe that was frightful.

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luke is going to be Elmo this year.

Next sat (oct 28) we are going up to my brothers trailer for the day..they have trick or treating, costume judging, haunted house, hay rides..etc. My son and his cousins will have a ball.

I dressed up as witches and killer brides and scary stuff on halloween when i was a kid and never though it demonic..it was all in fun!!

Every holiday started with some pagan origins as we know..so what..the point is..the church CHRISTIANIZED the holidays! Why the big ta--doo about halloween that some Christians make?

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We told the kids as soon as they could understad about Jesus..They never went trick/treating, heard the truth of Christ's ressurection and no easter bunney and Jesus's birth and no santa...You can still celebrate the truth around holidays...Our church always had alternative gatherings to celebrate those truths..The kids never seems stunted from hearing the truth...You should see some of the diplays put out around here in October, sick stuff..Trick or treat may be benign to some, but who is being lifted up this time of year...Lift Jesus up as He draws men unto Him...There is a thread in GT about this..Do a search on halloween and see who samhain is..pax...Kim
Everthing we do and say we do as unto the Lord...Think on things pure , lovely and good repute ect... bring all your thoughs captive to the obedience of Christ..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.