Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Greetings, all! By the grace of God, I am currently teaching Theology to high school freshmen at a Catholic school. It's also my first time being a classroom teacher, and it's quite challenging at times, but I really enjoy it! I am only here as a long-term substitute teacher, which means I teach the little ones 'til the end of the school year. Especially with the temporary time I have with the kids, I want to leave behind something that could really help them out through life, and that's what I'm coming here to share & ask for you all to critique. I'm working out a guideline they could use, something to work on throughout the next few days of class.

Despite being a Catholic school, there's a considerable number of non-Catholics who go here (mostly Protestant Christians, Muslims, and people who just aren't religious). This is why I'm sharing this in a forum that's not "Christian only"; I want input from the rest of you. Still, since they are learning Catholic theology, I would like them to research Catholic priests, monks, and so forth. I share this to all of you, partly to get advice, but partly for any of you who may be curious about your own calling...let me know if this guideline helps you out! I pray it will:pray:

Discerning Thy Calling—Freshman Theology

Abraham, Samuel, and many others in the Old Testament have a unique calling as part of their stories...you, too, are called to something greater. Remember how Genesis opens, with a beautiful creation story of everything, all being made with intentionality by God. In my own life, the idea that I was created, created with a purpose by the Divine Author, has been the single most important driving force in my religious life, and in my life as a whole. The idea of a purpose is incredible, and it is this search for your purpose that is the driving force of this assignment.

A few vocab words along the way...

• Vocation—this term refers to one’s calling in life

• Discerning or Discernment—this is the process of determining if a certain vocation is right for you.

Where are your interests & what does the world need?

The single best phrase I’ve heard about discernment is this: Your purpose in life is where your deep desires & the world’s deep hungers meet. Write down things you really enjoy; this can be rock music, lacrosse, socializing, listening to others...anything that gives you life, write it down. An easy way to narrow this down is to look at the ways you spend your free time, or the things you wish you could do a lot more often:

Remember to be a man for others ["Man for others" is a slogan at this school]...your interests do not exist just for yourself, but for a greater purpose. What are some of the world’s great hungers? There's a lot to choose from, but type out a few of the deep needs of our world today that line up well with your deep desires (i.e., a deep desire to just “be there” for people lines up well with the world’s deep hunger for someone who’s willing to listen).

Priesthood

One of the most profound callings is the call to become a priest. Do a little research here; you can ask a priest you know or find stories of priests online. You can find a Catholic priest of any rite for this. How did this person come to know the priesthood was for them? What do they enjoy about it? What challenges do they face, and what new opportunities does the commitment of priesthood free them to take on? After doing your research, write a 2-paragraph reflection here:

Fatherhood

If you are blessed enough to still have one, interview your own father for this. Otherwise, I encourage you to interview your grandfather, a friend’s father. At least for my father, he (like all the men in my family) was rather quiet, and there’s a lot about his life that I still don’t know. Assignments that required me to interview him were some of the most interesting & memorable, and I pray this has the same impact for you & your father. Ask him a few questions about his vocation as a father; here’s a few examples to get you started:

• What impact has fatherhood had on your life?

• What advice do you have for someone who may want to be a father?

• How does fatherhood impact your faith?
Again, write 2 paragraphs about what you learned.

The Diaconate (Deacons)

It’s not just priests that get to wear funny robes...do a little research on what it means to be a Catholic deacon. What does the diaconate entail? What makes this position appealing, challenging, and rewarding? 2 more paragraphs, please.

Monastic Life

You will find many similarities between monks & priests, especially since many priests begin their religious life as a monk. For this reason, you’re only required to write 1 paragraph here, but try to answer the same question about someone who chooses to live in a monastery, without becoming a priest.

Your Choice

With all this in mind, think of something else that would be appealing to you. You’re welcome to dig deeper on one of the previous vocations, or list some other life calling. Be as broad or as general as you like; the main point of this one is to research something you could see yourself doing. 3 paragraphs here; describe the calling you choose, the reason you chose it, and what challenges & accomplishments you think this calling would bring. Remember to be spiritual about this; being an employer is one thing, but to see “employer” as a calling from God is what we’re after here. Make sense? Hit me up with questions if you have any.

Finally, I’d just like to include some of the best advice on discernment I’ve ever heard...it’s from a very cool guy, known to a small group of hockey fans from my first college as “Episcopalian Priest Guy”:

Discernment is a little like driving through Wyoming. You see a mountain in the distance, and drive towards it, because you want to be on it. You can drive towards it for hours, and it doesn’t change much in appearance. Meanwhile, your immediate terrain changes, and you must take it into consideration. A change of highway, a climb through smaller hills, a stop in a town you didn’t see at first. And sometimes the features of the mountain completely change to the naked eye as you drive towards it...the good news is that time is on your side. Furthermore, you do not discern alone. The nature of the Church is such that many eyes & many souls will help you discern the shape of your path.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” --Proverbs 27:17