United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

I am looking for suggestions or guidance on how to relearn the basics of Reformed Theology and build off it. I am even open to reading classics.

My background if that helps.
Started out Non-denominational(influences by parents Prophetic beliefs)
to Pentecostal(which I learned how to be a minister)
to Reformed(thanks to influences of Ligonier Ministries)
Everything has crashed and burned, I have done "Church" for many years.
Just looking for a new and healthy start. Hence my seeking advice.

Thank you for your time!

John Helpher

John 3:16
Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The best way to reform your thinking is by getting back to the cornerstone, and by that I mean the teachings of Jesus. It may sound too simple but most people are not taught about the teachings of Jesus.

For example, did you know Jesus said we should not make promises for any reason? Did you know he said that we should fast, pray, and give to charity secretly? Did you know Jesus said we should not use special titles like father, Mr, and Sir for one another?

Most people have probably read these verses at some point in their life, but they gloss over them, presuming that Jesus didn't really mean what he said or that he was speaking in some kind of spiritual manner which precludes day-to-day life.

My suggestion is that you start reading through the gospels and make a note every time Jesus tells his disciples to do this or don't do that. When you've finished, read through the list and ask yourself if you're genuinely prepared to obey those teachings. If not, then there's no point to any kind of reformation or whatever.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone,

I am looking for suggestions or guidance on how to relearn the basics of Reformed Theology and build off it. I am even open to reading classics.

My background if that helps.

Thank you for your time!

If you want to get into a more in-depth theological perspective, try something like Wayne Grudems Systematic Theology... (very good and it's written in such a manner any one can follow it, and you can pick and choose a topic to read about and just go to the right section.)

You can also get into the various confessions as well, such as the Westminster etc. Not every reformed church holds to the exact same confessions, but exploring them is good anyway...

Another book I found excellent is Jesus and Israel: One Covenant or Two? by David Holwerda... it's a must read I think.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did I break the rules?

If so, what rule.

I was just reminding.... some people when they come to denomination specific forums they are looking for denomination specific answers.

Posting in fellowship is always welcome but, for instance, if I post in the Lutheran forum I clearly announce I'm not a member in their denomination if I choose to post in a thread.

Otherwise it gets confusing for people looking for specific answers.

I wasn't sure if you paid attention, so I gave a reminder.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟82,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow.. I didn't expect such fast responses.

I really want to thank you all for your feedback. I wrote them all down, and I will be looking into the books as well.

I am open to more feedback if anyone else wants to chime in. :)

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You are attending a church each week aren't you. So talk with he minister, he will be glad to advise you on books to read and may even lend you some.

Do ligoner ministries have a web site they would also give advice on what to read.

If you are not in a church then start going to one by checking out the christianityexplored web site for churches in your area and start attending even signing up to the ce course.

Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟82,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are attending a church each week aren't you. So talk with he minister, he will be glad to advise you on books to read and may even lend you some.

Do ligoner ministries have a web site they would also give advice on what to read.

If you are not in a church then start going to one by checking out the christianityexplored web site for churches in your area and start attending even signing up to the ce course.

Thanks for your feedback.

I been consuming media from Ligoner Ministries for years. Their website doesn't have a clear path to choose, I looked. (my soul is still sad for the passing of Dr. RC Sproul)

My home church for years, one I got married in and matured in, got handed over to a family business/cult by the leadership of the denomination. Home group church we were a part of didn't last either. Only one church in my area I would dare to trust, but there are too many obsticles to attend.

We been doing our own home church group for the time being and I am praying our situation stablizes that we can rejoin the bigger body of Christ. As such I am the minister and I am asking my peers for help.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your feedback.

I been consuming media from Ligoner Ministries for years. Their website doesn't have a clear path to choose, I looked. (my soul is still sad for the passing of Dr. RC Sproul)

My home church for years, one I got married in and matured in, got handed over to a family business/cult by the leadership of the denomination. Home group church we were a part of didn't last either. Only one church in my area I would dare to trust, but there are too many obsticles to attend.

We been doing our own home church group for the time being and I am praying our situation stablizes that we can rejoin the bigger body of Christ. As such I am the minister and I am asking my peers for help.

I would repeat check out the christianityexplored web site or if you prefer the Alpha course web site for churches in your area.
I repeat this advice simple because just because a church isn't penticostal doesn't mean the minister cannot help you.

Or isn't there a penticostal organisation you belong to who can provide you with support?

Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟82,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would repeat check out the christianityexplored web site or if you prefer the Alpha course web site for churches in your area.
I repeat this advice simple because just because a church isn't penticostal doesn't mean the minister cannot help you.

Or isn't there a penticostal organisation you belong to who can provide you with support?

I do apologize for the confusion. I was part of a Pentecostal denomination church. I no longer follow their doctrine and trying to unlearn it really. I am convinced in the Reformed faith and I posted this for help finding a fresh starting point into this faith.

As for the traditional, "go talk to your pastor". It is not an option in my situation at this time.

Praise report!

I never understood the whole Catechism thing. I found a teaching to help me understand how it works. Start my journey into it this week.

Shout out to Pastor Bill for taking the time to make a video like this.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Grudem is not really Reformed, it has Reformed soteriology, but he is not usually accepted as 'Reformed.' Berkhof is a classic text and you can't go wrong with that one. I'm a fan of Robert Letham's single volume Systematics and would add that to your list. Letham offers a classic approach to theology and interacts with Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism when many do not.

It would probably be a good idea to start with the Confessions of Faith. They are short, succinct explanations of biblical doctrines. Take time to look up the scripture references.

The 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith
Three Forms of Unity
The Westminster Confession of Faith (1647) by Westminster Divines

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
DSC_9191.jpg

After having read through the Reformed Confessions and looking up scripture I would recommend The Wonderful Works of God by Bavinck. I've had a chance to flip through this work and would recommend it for someone that has a basic understanding of the Reformed faith.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0