North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is sad to encounter a grumpy Christian. But it would seem that they are commonplace in most churches. And they do us plenty of harm. Normally, we try to ignore or minimize them. They still make a significant impact on our mood and effectiveness.

Bad attitude is contagious - just like good attitude is contagious.

Billy Graham once said, "Christ can put a spring in your step and a thrill in your heart. Optimism and cheerfulness are products of knowing Christ."

As happy Christians we must strive to transform cheerless believers into cheerful disciples by our example of faith. Romans 12:2 clearly speaks to this transformation. The key is to be different than the non-believers in this world. Do not conform.

Isn't it rather ridiculous to have so many crabby Christians in our midst? It is illogical. It is tragic.

First, we all know that fits of ill-tempered behavior come upon everyone at some time or another. Humans are not perfect. We are reactionary to events and situations that beset us. Bad things happen to good people. However, we must take responsibility for our attitude and our actions. To take control of our mind and will is imperative. In fact, we should just give control of our will over to God. Ask God to increase the Holy Spirit in your life. Jesus said, "Ask and it shall be given to you." Can you think of a request God would rather grant than providing more of his Spirit? He wants you to be happy, not depressed. He wants his followers to reflect his glory. How could anyone possibly think that God would have even a hint of grouchy in his glory? Not possible.

It is a fundamental shift in our being when we turn our lives over to God:

We stop worrying

We reduce stress

We become cheerful

We reflect God's glory

We honor Jesus with our joy

We bear fruits of the Holy Spirit

We become contagious believers

We quit being grumps and start converting grumps

Thus, putting God primary in our lives and trusting him completely will undoubtably make us Christians full of joy. And others will see that. Then Christianity will be appealing to unbelievers.

In Matthew 13:44 Jesus said, "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

Why shouldn't we be cheery as we go about our day? It is a matter of perspective. Sure, frustration and annoyances will hit us continually. But Jesus saved us from eternal separation from God - that's so much more important than the trivial aggravation of our earthly lives. Major illness, marriage problems, or even death are not worthy of stealing our joy. We will spend forever in heaven. That outweighs the disppointments of our job, children, and even fellow believers. Of course our lives won't be perfect. Naturally, we will feel pain. Obviously, things won't always go our way. Those bad circumstances cannot prevail over our trust in a God that loves us. He dwells with us. We will spend eternity with him. The sorrows of life are temporary. They are small compared to the time without end in a perfect place - heaven.

So, put your daily irraitations under the light of God's sonshine. Turn turn to earnest prayer and ask God to restore your joy. Give him your heart. Turn over all your worries and concerns to him. Make a conscience effort to be in good spirits. Be cheerful because it honors Christ.

In the sermon on the mount Jesus started with some timeless directions for being happy (i.e. "blessed"). Right after describing several of these conditions of happiness, he says, "You are the light of the world....In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matt 5:14 & 16.

You have a choice: to focus on the disturbing nuicances of life or focus on how truly blessed you are through Jesus Christ. If you choose to be a grumpy Christian, you are hurting the cause of Christianity. You are not growing in the fruits of the Spirit. You give a negative witness to Christ's healing. Grumpy Christians should not be the light of the world.

Grumpy Christians are a paradox. They shouldn't exist. Please take upon you today the challenge to remove any grumpiness in your attitude or behavior. Be happy! Find your joy in Jesus! And then go be contagious around some grumps. :scratch: :eek:

Reactions: Gwenyfur

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Amen,paul,I sure have not ever figured that one out!It is unbelievable how some Christians can go around with a "Woe Is Me" look on their face,fortunately there are only about 4 like this in my church.Funny how they are the same ones who you never hear a testimony from never an Amen or Thank You Lord or not even a hand raised in praise. I think that tells their story,don't you? :scratch: :idea: :doh: :(

Upvote 0
Z

zmastah

First of all, excellent post. I couldn't agree more, though I feel that a lot of this really digs into me. I confess that I've been grumpy quite a bit, and what you say is very true.

Second, I just can't resist the temptation for a good discussion. Which is why my screenname seems to be popping up in various places on this board. So if you'll pardon the expression, I think I'll play "devil's advocate" for a bit.

You say "grumpy." What is meant by this? It seems that there could be a number of situations that could manifest itself as "grumpiness." One that comes to mind is depression, which is a whole new can of worms in and of itself. Not necessarily manifested as anger, but more sadness and withdrawal, but the whole idea of joylessness still prevails.

Second, I think that while it is important that Christians be joyful, especially as part of their outward ministry, even the Bible says that everything about our faith won't always be smiles. "a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance," Ecc. 3:4. And there are times when we should be genuinely angry. Such as at sin. We must remember to be angry at the sin, yet still loving toward the sinner.

Also, there are people out there who are genuinely bitter for a number of reasons. Some of them may feel abandoned or ignored by the rest of the congregation and probably desire attention or validation through their display of rage.

Anyway, just some questions I wanted to raise. Great words of wisdom. Love to hear more from you on this subject. [Post Edited]

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry but you won't get debate here,we do not go for debate at Deeper Fellowship this is a forum for EDIFICATION,and I find no excuse for any of the other reasons you mentioned when one has God close by their side.I have seen new widows/widowers in church the same week of burial of their spouse, and as long as they cling to God and us fellow believers, they are uplifted,so depression,rejection?Look to God,not that I am against medical help,but it is inexcusable for any Christian to be on nerve pills or anti-depressants for years,and if they look inwardly,they know it too,and it is a hindrance to their spiritual walk to not be putting their faith where it belongs.

Upvote 0
Z

zmastah

Fair enough, though I assent that there are those who are indeed edified through debate, in very much the same way that iron sharpens iron. Through discussion, we improve, develop, learn, and mature, and it was not so much a counterargument as it was hearing your thoughts on these matters. Which you have provided. So, I concede this to you. However, my offer still stands, and I really would love to hear more of what you have to say on these things. Perhaps in another thread or in PM. Otherwise, please forgive my intrusions. I meant no harm or disrespect. Just call it the foolish ramblings of a 22-year old.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Glenda

More, Lord.. More of You..
Sep 22, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟76,316.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wonderful post, SoBlessed..

I think as Christians we should let the Joy of the Lord show in our lives.. Jesus shining through us is what will make unbelievers want "some of what we have.." & the Holy Spirit will do the rest..

I'm aware that the Christian walk is not always easy.. BUT I know that my life is so much better & happier than it was when I was walking to my own tune..

I am so blessed (pardon the pun - *wink*) and I want to shine for Jesus..

Thank you, my God for your gift of salvation..
17_1_10.gif

Upvote 0

ashley lynne

Loving mom and spouse ♥
Nov 10, 2005
Sunny, Florida
✟7,899.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I couldn't agree with you more, wonderful post :thumbsup: !!
I do have to admit though, I have been grumpy a bit lately. What you say is so very true! How can I look at what the Lord did for me and be unhappy?!?! I'm beaming with happiness because He is in my life and because He died for me!!!
Im putting my daily irritations under the light of God's sunshine and turning to Ernest prayer to ask God to restore my joy. I want to be cheerful 24/7 because it honors Christ.
When Im grumpy Im usually just upset about something or temporarily angry about something someone did. I need to give all my troubles to the Lord and stop letting things upset me the way they do.
Thank you, soblessed, for putting things in perspective for me and everyone else. Being grumpy gets nobody anywhere spiritually and doesn't make anyone feel better.

Thanks again, :hug:
MissyA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
soblessed53 said:
It is sad to encounter a grumpy Christian. But it would seem that they are commonplace in most churches. And they do us plenty of harm. Normally, we try to ignore or minimize them. They still make a significant impact on our mood and effectiveness.

Bad attitude is contagious - just like good attitude is contagious.

Billy Graham once said, "Christ can put a spring in your step and a thrill in your heart. Optimism and cheerfulness are products of knowing Christ."

As happy Christians we must strive to transform cheerless believers into cheerful disciples by our example of faith. Romans 12:2 clearly speaks to this transformation. The key is to be different than the non-believers in this world. Do not conform.

Isn't it rather ridiculous to have so many crabby Christians in our midst? It is illogical. It is tragic.

First, we all know that fits of ill-tempered behavior come upon everyone at some time or another. Humans are not perfect. We are reactionary to events and situations that beset us. Bad things happen to good people. However, we must take responsibility for our attitude and our actions. To take control of our mind and will is imperative. In fact, we should just give control of our will over to God. Ask God to increase the Holy Spirit in your life. Jesus said, "Ask and it shall be given to you." Can you think of a request God would rather grant than providing more of his Spirit? He wants you to be happy, not depressed. He wants his followers to reflect his glory. How could anyone possibly think that God would have even a hint of grouchy in his glory? Not possible.

It is a fundamental shift in our being when we turn our lives over to God:

We stop worrying

We reduce stress

We become cheerful

We reflect God's glory

We honor Jesus with our joy

We bear fruits of the Holy Spirit

We become contagious believers

We quit being grumps and start converting grumps

Thus, putting God primary in our lives and trusting him completely will undoubtably make us Christians full of joy. And others will see that. Then Christianity will be appealing to unbelievers.

In Matthew 13:44 Jesus said, "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

Why shouldn't we be cheery as we go about our day? It is a matter of perspective. Sure, frustration and annoyances will hit us continually. But Jesus saved us from eternal separation from God - that's so much more important than the trivial aggravation of our earthly lives. Major illness, marriage problems, or even death are not worthy of stealing our joy. We will spend forever in heaven. That outweighs the disppointments of our job, children, and even fellow believers. Of course our lives won't be perfect. Naturally, we will feel pain. Obviously, things won't always go our way. Those bad circumstances cannot prevail over our trust in a God that loves us. He dwells with us. We will spend eternity with him. The sorrows of life are temporary. They are small compared to the time without end in a perfect place - heaven.

So, put your daily irraitations under the light of God's sonshine. Turn turn to earnest prayer and ask God to restore your joy. Give him your heart. Turn over all your worries and concerns to him. Make a conscience effort to be in good spirits. Be cheerful because it honors Christ.

In the sermon on the mount Jesus started with some timeless directions for being happy (i.e. "blessed"). Right after describing several of these conditions of happiness, he says, "You are the light of the world....In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matt 5:14 & 16.

You have a choice: to focus on the disturbing nuicances of life or focus on how truly blessed you are through Jesus Christ. If you choose to be a grumpy Christian, you are hurting the cause of Christianity. You are not growing in the fruits of the Spirit. You give a negative witness to Christ's healing. Grumpy Christians should not be the light of the world.

Grumpy Christians are a paradox. They shouldn't exist. Please take upon you today the challenge to remove any grumpiness in your attitude or behavior. Be happy! Find your joy in Jesus! And then go be contagious around some grumps. :scratch: :eek:

I argee:)

Reactions: blessedblonde
Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the mushy, flowery hippy Christians are just as bad as the grumpy ones. Neither has it right.

A person needs to be STRONG and passionate in their beliefs. That is the definition of the bible's word for meekness. We have too many flowery, mushy Christians...and too many negative ones.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
SteelDisciple said:
I think the mushy, flowery hippy Christians are just as bad as the grumpy ones. Neither has it right.

A person needs to be STRONG and passionate in their beliefs. That is the definition of the bible's word for meekness. We have too many flowery, mushy Christians...and too many negative ones.

I have no idea what you mean by this unless it is an insult to those of us who love to express our love for God.I am passionate about my love for Him and my faith in Him, and so is everyone else on here who feels the same,so I guess I don't know any such person who fills your description of a "mushy,flowery,hippy Christian! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Z

zmastah

SteelDisciple said:

Well, the thing is, you have to be real. With respect to soblessed, that's not what this is about. You can truly enjoy God's love and be passionate about it and not be a fruitcake. Yes, you may end up looking like one, but so what? I'd say that if being in the presence of the almighty God of the universe doesn't make you act like a fruitcake, then there's probably something wrong.

I think what separates those "mushy, flowery hippy 'Christians'" from those that are legit is the source of their passions. If it comes from Christ, then right on. If it comes from a desire to show off in church or to act "churchy," then someone needs a reality check.

Which, I imagine, is exactly what the orignal post was intended to say. If it's legit, we shouldn't be grumpy, right? AND, if it's legit, then the joy is all good. If our joy isn't legit and is coming from some source other than God, then it will reveal itself soon enough.

Sorry, soblessed53. I know, no debating, but I just couldn't pass this one up. Forgive me. :blush:

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is a most interesting Thread--i wish i knew where the dividing line between arguing/debating and "iron sharpening iron" lies. Wherever, it is a thin one alright!
i think the issue raised in most of these Posts might be: AT WHAT POINT IN OUR WALK TOWARD CHRIST DO WE ACTUALLY BECOME "CHRISTIANS"--by definition rather than by self-description.
To me, "Christian" translates as "Christ-like." Most of us fit that definition sometimes, and at other times we don't. Hopefully, in our Christian walk, we fit it more and more of the time, and fall short less and less until we satisfy our Lord's Commandment--"BE YE THEREFORE PERFECT AS YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN IS PERFECT."
i think that when a person becomes "Christ-like" 51% of the time, he/she has a right to call themselves a "Christian"; before this, perhaps they can be classified as "catecumens". (51% is an arbitrary point, obviously, but it indicates that an effort is being made and progress achieved on the path to perfection, given that most of us start at 0%.)
Soooooo . . . when dealing with "grumpy Christians" or "angry Christians" or "lustful Christians" or whatever, their actions/speech/etc. should perhaps be evaluated on whether the negativity is chronic or an anomaly. As mentioned in a Posting above, we all have bad days--may God grant that they become fewer and fewer as our walk progresses, recognizing that perfection is a lifelong goal and progress often slow (as in my case, for example.) But if these negative behaviors continue week in, week out, there should be an Elder or a Spiritual Father or a Pastor or whatever who has the calling and the courage to point this out to the person and guide them in making the requisite changes in their Spiritual walk--for the good of the person, the good of the congregation, and the good of those who observe our Christian walks and evaluate our Lord based on whether or not His image and likeness is visible in those of us who profess to be His followers. i, for one, must confess to fall short much of the time, but with God's help and my Spiritual Father's guidance, i will get better in my mirrorship and be worthy of the name "Christian."

MAY WE ALL BE BLESS AND HEALED,
ephraimanesti

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Coincidentially" i came across this wonderful little story by Erma Bombeck which i found in a very gracious book my daughter gave me entitled WHAT'S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE? by Phillip Yancy. i think it speaks well to the theme of this Thread:

In church the other Sunday I was intent on a small child who was turning around smiling at everyone. He wasn't gurgling, spitting, humming, kicking, tearing the hymnals, or rummaging through his mother's handbag. He was just smiling. Finally, his mother jerked him about and in a stage whisper that could be heard in a little theatre off Broadway said, "Stop that grinning! You're in church!" With that, she gave him a belt and as the tears rolled down his cheeks added, "That's better," and returned to her prayers . . . .
Suddenly I was angry. It occurred to me the entire world is in tears, and if you're not, then you'd better get with it. I wanted to grab this child with the tear-stained face close to me and tell him about my God. The happy God. The smiling God. The God who had to have a sense of humor to have created the likes of us . . . . By tradition, one wears faith with the solemnity of a mourner, the gravity of a mask of tragedy, and the dedication of a Rotary badge.
What a fool, I thought. Here was a woman sitting next to the only light left in our civilization -- the only hope, our only miracle -- our only promise of infinity. If he couldn't smile in church, where was there left to go?

GRIN LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!!!!!! :clap:
ephraimanesti

Upvote 0