Visit site
✟15,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Over the last couple of years, I've been nurturing a growing fascination with Catholicism, and I've been noticing, I'm not the only one. I suppose for myself, it has partly to do with my religious background (Baptized in a Catholic church as a baby). But also, because of a longing to find some more meaning in my faith. This is not to say I haven't had some very deep and meaningful periods during my personal walk with Christ. I just find myself wanting to branch out and, if nothing else, broaden my perspective as a Christian. My question for anyone here is, have you noticed any of this growing fascination amongst people in your own life?

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
IXOYE<>< said:
Over the last couple of years, I've been nurturing a growing fascination with Catholicism, and I've been noticing, I'm not the only one. I suppose for myself, it has partly to do with my religious background (Baptized in a Catholic church as a baby). But also, because of a longing to find some more meaning in my faith. This is not to say I haven't had some very deep and meaningful periods during my personal walk with Christ. I just find myself wanting to branch out and, if nothing else, broaden my perspective as a Christian. My question for anyone here is, have you noticed any of this growing fascination amongst people in your own life?

I have. We've also seen a lot of converts to Catholicism, right here on this board. :)

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
IXOYE<>< said:

Yes. . . I was one of those who converted and came into the Catholic Church last year . . .but I was shocked out of my complacency about 5 years ago now, and that started my search . . .

I do notice that others around me are showing more interest too . .

I would say there is a hunger, a desire for something deeper . . . that is what I have found . . depths unimaginable to me when I was a Protestant. . . And I had had my share of very deep and meaningful periods in my Christian walk as a Protestant . . but I found that Protestantism couldn't answer some of the deep questions that began to assail me . .. I found that it was the Catholic mystics from 500 years ago who were able to show me the way. But that was a few years even before I was shocked into beginning this journey in earnest.

There is a reason you are feeling this. I believe it is the Holy Spirit callilng you to find out more, to move more deeply into your faith. You were baptized Catholic . . though it may not mean alot to you right now, there is very deep and significant meaning associated with this fact. :)

Please feel free to fellowship with us and ask anything you need to . . we are here to help you find answers.

John Paul pray for us

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IXOYE<>< said:

Yes, before becoming Catholic, I felt the very same way. My husband grew up Methodist and became agnostic and didn't believe in "man-made" churches, until he learned about the Catholic history and the Early Church writings and then, he too, felt the same way as you are feeling now.

I will pray for you as you walk through your journey of faith.

God's Peace,

Debbie

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not in my neck of the woods. I think its because we are mostly an underground here. I mean luckily we have groups who are meeting in taverns and the like, such as 'Faith on Tap', but people normally don't like to hear I'm a traditional Catholic, especially if they are not. If they are agnostic or atheist the like it less. I just try to be the example of the common man, which I do poorly.

I'm trying to start a traditional group here in L.I. Me for distributism, a couple of other guys who have music degrees and have a tremendous wealth of sacred music knowledge and we are hoping to garner interest. Like the TFP we would like to eventually run a membership drive and become a visible presence in the Diocese. Hopefuilly when lapsed Catholics and those who left (post-sixties) see a traditional group they may be influenced to come back.

Unfortunately here in L.I. people are more interested in shopping.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PeterPaul said:
Not in my neck of the woods. I think its because we are mostly an underground here. I mean luckily we have groups who are meeting in taverns and the like, such as 'Faith on Tap', but people normally don't like to hear I'm a traditional Catholic, especially if they are not. If they are agnostic or atheist the like it less. I just try to be the example of the common man, which I do poorly.

I'm trying to start a traditional group here in L.I. Me for distributism, a couple of other guys who have music degrees and have a tremendous wealth of sacred music knowledge and we are hoping to garner interest. Like the TFP we would like to eventually run a membership drive and become a visible presence in the Diocese. Hopefuilly when lapsed Catholics and those who left (post-sixties) see a traditional group they may be influenced to come back.

I'm not big on shopping. Ask my daughters, LOL :)

I will keep your traditional group in my prayers for your success. God be with you all. (unless you are kiddin... then LOL :D :D you got me good).

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PeterPaul said:

Sounds like a good idea PeterPaul.

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
D'Ann said:
I'm not big on shopping. Ask my daughters, LOL :)

I will keep your traditional group in my prayers for your success. God be with you all. (unless you are kiddin... then LOL :D :D you got me good).

No, I'm serious. We have been talking about it lately, will be asking the founder of 'Faith on Tap' to see if we can speak at the tavern meetings and eventually attempt to bring a group into existance. I'm meeting with my 'indult' priest about it next week for his blessing and direction.

This group would probably evangelise, march on parades and spread awareness of the TLM. That would be our main focus, though I'm sure we would also attempt to help the poor, specifically targeting low to middle income people and single family homes.

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself. It will start slowly. I purchased a lot of tracts last year and will continue to do so. We would probably set up tables on streets on weekends and dress formally of course.

That is the plan because there are relatively no groups out there unless they are pro-life who manifest themselves publicly.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PeterPaul said:
No, I'm serious. We have been talking about it lately, will be asking the founder of 'Faith on Tap' to see if we can speak at the tavern meetings and eventually attempt to bring a group into existance. I'm meeting with my 'indult' priest about it next week for his blessing and direction.

This group would probably evangelise, march on parades and spread awareness of the TLM. That would be our main focus, though I'm sure we would also attempt to help the poor, specifically targeting low to middle income people and single family homes.

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself. It will start slowly. I purchased a lot of tracts last year and will continue to do so. We would probably set up tables on streets on weekends and dress formally of course.

That is the plan because there are relatively no groups out there unless they are pro-life who manifest themselves publicly.

Wow, please keep us updated on any news on this wonderful idea and prayerfully, it will all work out.

What inspired you towards this direction? I must go now, but I will keep you and this goal in my prayers.

God's Peace to You and Yours,

Debbie

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
D'Ann said:
Wow, please keep us updated on any news on this wonderful idea and prayerfully, it will all work out.

What inspired you towards this direction? I must go now, but I will keep you and this goal in my prayers.

God's Peace to You and Yours,

Debbie

Mainly what this thread speaks of. The OP asked about interest. I've noticed orthodoxy and traditional Catholicism flourishing in other areas of this country and was dismayed at it not in this island. Last year I started placing tracts in secular places but I wanted to do more. Everyone I met didn't. They were "live and let live" Catholics. Finally I've met Traditional Catholics who knew their stuff and wanted to make a change. Funny enough, most of them are young people and young families who have become fascinated by the TLM. Not all of them are young so we have a diverse and ethnic group of people. We are small (only because we haven't approached the bulk of parishoners about this yet) and because we wanted to make some stipulations prior to this formation.

Some of the stipulations is that we want to be refreshing. We don't want to wallow in the errors or not of the post-conciliar Church, that we don't want to compare Masses but only present the tridentine and Latin Novus Ordo as an alternative to the Mass held in most parishes. We are not going to argue with people on the street about this issue. All we are going to do is present traditionalism on its basic structure, evangelise atheists, agnostics and Protestants, as well as support life, distributism, Sacred Music, and pursue a change in cafeteria Catholics. Another thing, which I haven't mentioned to the group is how we can "push" people to buy Catholic materials at local supply stores instead of going online or buying from big businesses such as Borders, Barnes N' Noble, etc.

Currently this is almost non-existant publicly on the Island. We also want to call on L.I. Catholic authors like Dr. John Rao who I hope to be in contact with for advice this summer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IXOYE<>< said:
I suppose for myself, it has partly to do with my religious background (Baptized in a Catholic church as a baby). But also, because of a longing to find some more meaning in my faith. This is not to say I haven't had some very deep and meaningful periods during my personal walk with Christ.

I was right there just a few months ago. I was raised Catholic, but didn't really know or understand the faith. I became an Evangelical Christian. Yeah, I had some deep and meaningful periods, but I had so many questions. My minister's response was always the same "read the bible and pray and the Holy Spirit will help you understand". To me, that wasn't enough of an answer. I found my answers in the Catholic Church.
kamikat

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dominus Fidelis said:
Sounds like a great thing PP...I'd be a member of a traditionlist Catholic group if there was one here.

Thanks DF! I think the key is to start small and then expand with a membership drive, and begin a non-profit with by-laws. It would probably be the best way. Since no one else is doing it, I pitched it to my friends and they are all for it. Eventually we would like to have uniforms and banners like the TFP

stand.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.