groom taking brides last name

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In some cultures the man taking the woman's name is tradition. In other cultures it is common for the woman to take the man's name and in others still they both keep their names. Since you are open to either outcome, you should have an easy time deciding with your bride to be which route to go.

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol, in our case my husband and i had the same last name minus one letter. So I just dropped one letter and took his name. Best part was my signature didn't really require much revising at all which is great because I love my signature. :D

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My cousin and her husband both hyphenate their last name to include her maiden name. I had never seen that and think it's an interesting compromise.

My husband says whoever marries our daughter is going to have to take our last name. :D

I took my husband's name, but I think couples have to do what works for them.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My take is the sky won't fall whatever you do. We DO live in a community and while it might be cool to be unconventional people but, in society folks operate with customs held for long time. Could mislead some.

I don't like the hyphen at all! First generation ok but what do you do the next generation? Would they sign their checks eg Charles X-Y-Z-A ? Makes for long name; SOMEBODY has to drop out.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol Good point, iambren! :D

I kept my maiden name as my middle name and dropped my middle name.

This is what my wife did.

As far as your situation I would say in most situations is probably better to take the guy's last name. But if for some reason it is better to maintain her last name then I have no problem with taking hers.

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's perfectly okay to do that. Since I've been pretty much disowned by my own family, I've thought about changing our last names legally to my wife's last name, but I'm basically just too lazy to do that and it's not that big of a deal. However, if I went back in time to when we were married--knowing then what I do now--I would have seriously considered taking my wife's last name, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums