I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am thinking you mean she's a jerk as in the person the article is about. I just posted the article.

I will say it lacks tact to some extent but I wonder how it would go over if one conveyed their notion that no God is a contributor to their success in a less provocative manner? So many thank God (Allah, Jesus et al) during ceremonies and many take it further by using the opportunity to encourage others to find truth in their particular God. I wonder how it would go over if someone used the same pulpit to encouraged others to find truth in no God?

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am thinking you mean she's a jerk as in the person the article is about. I just posted the article.

I will say it lacks tact to some extent but I wonder how it would go over if one conveyed their notion that no God is a contributor to their success in a less provocative manner? So many thank God (Allah, Jesus et al) during ceremonies and many take it further by using the opportunity to encourage others to find truth in their particular God. I wonder how it would go over if someone used the same pulpit to encouraged others to find truth in no God?
i did mean griffin.

i would feel the same way.

i do respect that the network has a right to censor anything they want though.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since I don't know the actual context or the content of her speech in full, I can't really say if I think it's offensive enough to deserve censorship but I don't know what goes at the emmy awards, I don't recall every watching them or the speeches made.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
i think that is so dumb. i mean have you seen the show they gave her an award for (which is a show i happen to love). i mean, the show itself had an episode where she hosted a gay sex toy party or something like that (hilarious) but then she can't actually act the way during the speech that she acted on the show to get the award.

hypocritical. but whatever.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
1. It was a joke
2. censorship is stupid
3. lighten up
censorship by the government IS stupid... by a private entity paying for the show... no

joke, possibly, funny, no, controversial, yes, causing her publicity, yes

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
censorship by the government IS stupid... by a private entity paying for the show... no

joke, possibly, funny, no, controversial, yes, causing her publicity, yes
consorship is stupid, even if it is technically legal. it's still an example of people needing to lighten up. I dont have the time or the patience to get offended by what somebody says on tv, i am way to busy getting offended by stupid wars, discrimination, and attacks on freedom and science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
don't know if you're a dad, but you don't appear to be, so coming from a mom's perspective, censorship isn't all that bad as long as it's by the network and not the government...there's lots on there that's still offensive

that being said, i also think alot needs to be put on the shoulders of the person WATCHING as well. if you don't like it, turn it off.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. It was a joke
2. censorship is stupid
3. lighten up
Correct on 2 and 3, but it was not a joke. However, it's still ok with me, as she can't help it. It's like being angry at a blind person for not seeing something.

But I also agree on another level, freedom to speak is foundational to all other freedoms.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Correct on 2 and 3, but it was not a joke. However, it's still ok with me, as she can't help it. It's like being angry at a blind person for not seeing something.

But I also agree on another level, freedom to speak is foundational to all other freedoms.

How do you know are you the person she pays to write her jokes?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe Griffin's speech will make some people think....

If, as a society, the entertainment we prefer is devoid and even disrespectful of religious beliefs, what does that say about us?

If I enjoy that kind of comedy, what does that say about me and my priorities?

"Satan" is alive and well in all sorts of TV shows, movies, CD's, and books today--but in most cases we just absorb this material without thinking.

Well, folks, Griffin has just clued us in to how active the "Prince of Darkness" is in the entertainment industry.

Should we be a little more careful about what we watch and listen to?

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, essentially what she said was true. I mean she said Jesus had nothing to do with the award. She got an award for having a this show which is pretty anti-christian at times. so would jesus have anything to do with that? (then again, there are great moments about her parents and the military and what not that show it has a lot of heart, so who knows?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaligulaNero

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
South
✟17,185.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it's funny and find it far less offensive than people who thank Jesus (which makes me want to throw up), so I guess it really depends on the listener. Calling it "hate speech" as that wacko Donahue did is absurd- if it is OK to proclaim faith in something, it is no less offensive to not claim faith in something. All that said, the network can censor as it sees fit.

Upvote 0

OttovonBismarck

Iron Chancellor
Apr 22, 2004
✟8,102.00
Faith
Lutheran
No, I would not write her jokes. If this is a joke, well, I thought she was funnier than this. I could be wrong.

It wasn't so much a joke as it was a sardonic statement. SARDONICISM STRAIGHT FROM THE FOULEST DEPTHS OF HELL, as you might wish to cleverly state, but it doesn't change the fact that she wasn't serious or that there's really no need to censor it.

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now let me see, she made two statements that are undoubtedly factual - Jesus is not any part of her life and therefore had nothing to do with her accomplishments and she is an idol worshiper. I see nothing offensive. The truth, in this case, does not hurt.

Reactions: mnolen82
Upvote 0