Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Come on, now, Max, we've both been at this long enough to know exactly who I mean - global warming deniers. Those who ignore the validity of the IPCC Reports, who are quite a bit more interested in shooting the messenger than they are in preserving the well-being of God's Creation.

Upvote 0

danaman5

Reason
Sep 6, 2003
Minnesota
✟7,991.00
Faith
Atheist
Arguments like this are the most vapid and shallow of any in the political global warming controversy. Gore has to weigh the pros and cons of his actions. He can either fly a private jet and contribute negligibly to CO2 emissions while telling as many people as possible about the need for emission reductions, or he can stay at home or use slower forms of transportation while everyone else contributes majorly to CO2 emissions. (and apparently he would have to use much slower forms of transportation - I've seen John Edwards labeled a global warming hypocrite for even having his own bus) Gore believes, quite rightly, that his small amount of emissions will be worth it if he can help to bring about a major reduction in emissions worldwide. I'll never understand how the people screaming about this can't follow this simple logic.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,658.00
Faith
Christian
I guess a better question is “Do you think that Al Gore believes in global warming?” and no – I’m quite serious.
Because either he doesn’t believe it’s a problem, and that’s why he continues to live the lifestyle that he does, or he’s saying that yes – I believe in the science, but ultimately changing lifestyle was just too hard, so I sure hope that other people will change theirs.

Reactions: Voegelin
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,658.00
Faith
Christian
So if a convicted mass murderer/serial killer goes on television and tells you that murder is wrong, he's being a hypocrite and his words should be disregarded?

If he kept on murdering – yes.

But I agree, keeping on about Al Gore being hypocritical has been done before. I see him more like an addicted smoker (and I don’t mean that as an insult to him). He sees a problem, and genuinely believes in his solution, but simply can’t change the lifestyle to match.

The real problem will be as the world at large looks at his message. Will they decide to make a change, despite his lifestyle? Or will they also decide that cuts beyond a certain superficial level are too hard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
Arguments like this are the most vapid and shallow of any in the political global warming controversy. Gore has to weigh the pros and cons of his actions. He can either fly a private jet and contribute negligibly to CO2 emissions while telling as many people as possible about the need for emission reductions, or he can stay at home or use slower forms of transportation while everyone else contributes majorly to CO2 emissions. (and apparently he would have to use much slower forms of transportation - I've seen John Edwards labeled a global warming hypocrite for even having his own bus) Gore believes, quite rightly, that his small amount of emissions will be worth it if he can help to bring about a major reduction in emissions worldwide. I'll never understand how the people screaming about this can't follow this simple logic.
Or he could stay home period and do all of his speachafying by remote. But apparently colleges and groups don't pay the big bucks for remote speakers. They pay the big bucks for warm bodies live and in person. But then - doing it that way would be the principled thing to do rather than the cupidious thing to do.

ED Bagly Jr. That's a principled environmentalist.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

But I agree, keeping on about Al Gore being hypocritical has been done before. I see him more like an addicted smoker (and I don’t mean that as an insult to him). He sees a problem, and genuinely believes in his solution, but simply can’t change the lifestyle to match.

The real problem will be as the world at large looks at his message. Will they decide to make a change, despite his lifestyle? Or will they also decide that cuts beyond a certain superficial level are too hard.
I think this is an extremely well-articulated assessment of the situation. Al Gore is no more addicted than the rest of Western society is to the use of fossil fuels, but hey - that's not a particularly nice distinction, unfortunately. Nevertheless, focusing on what sees as hypocritical about Gore as a person isn't going to make the problems of which he's trying to warn us simply go away.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Or he could stay home period and do all of his speachafying by remote. But apparently colleges and groups don't pay the big bucks for remote speakers. They pay the big bucks for warm bodies live and in person. But then - doing it that way would be the principled thing to do rather than the cupidious thing to do.

I think it shows considerably more cupidity for one to keep driving one's SUV for purely selfish reasons and adding to the problems with which future generations will be forced to deal.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Best analogy. We are all in a way addicted to conspicuous consumption. We know that people are starving elsewhere in the world, unable to afford medicine and even shelter, yet we continue to live affluent lives.

How many times have you heard a famous singer write a song about the tragedy of poverty, while they themselves are riding around in limos and private jets. It isn't that they don't care about the poor, in fact many of them donate heavily or even create their own charities, it is that they have trouble breaking away from a more affluent lifestyle once they have achieved and settled into it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

ED Bagly Jr. That's a principled environmentalist.
How many people know of him? I've never heard of the man.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
His actions don't matter.
HIs words wre the only thing.

His words will save the planet, even if he still burns more fossil fuel then 10 other people. Substance doesn't matter, as long as his hearts in the right place.

Oh, and remember, he buys buybacks from his own company, so he can make up for the harm he causes, and still makes money on his money.:scratch:

Rich people don't make sacrifices, thats for the peons to do.

Reactions: dignitized
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
His actions don't matter.
HIs words wre the only thing.

His words will save the planet, even if he still burns more fossil fuel then 10 other people. Substance doesn't matter, as long as his hearts in the right place.

Oh, and remember, he buys buybacks from his own company, so he can make up for the harm he causes, and still makes money on his money.:scratch:

Rich people don't make sacrifices, thats for the peons to do.
I think people really need to know more about carbon offsets and RECs. As a person who has worked with these, I can assure you that buying any offsets, even your own is beneficial.

When carbon offsets are created, they going into a market where they are bid on. The basic laws of supply and demand come into play. If the carbon credits are bought, even by you yourself, the supply is reduced and the price increases, encouraging businesses to reduce their emissions to either reduce cost or to sell credits for higher profit.

Upvote 0