Greed & Avarice

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Greed & Avarice

Eph 5:5 "For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person— such a man is an idolater— has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God."

You may have heard of the "Prosperity Gospel". That's a gospel which celebrates avarice; avarice being "the immoderate desire for wealth." But "people who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1Tim 6:9,10 So as Jesus said, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Luke 12:15 And "no servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Luke 16:13

Therefore "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'" Heb 13:5 For"A greedy man brings trouble to his family" Pr 15:27a "Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint."Pr 23:4 And Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven." Mt 19:23

Fortunately the solution to greed to very simple and measurable. The solution is simply to practice generosity! In fact wasn't this what Jesus proposed to the greedy rich man? See also Christian Generosity.

The Sin Series