AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a bit of a Grammar Fascist myself. . .

I was taught that both forms are technically correct although the -ly is considered by many to be superfluous.

There are 2 important things to remember, though:

* Pick one form and stick with it - ie, First, Second, Third, OR Firstly, Secondly, Thirdly.

* Bear in mind how ridiculous it may sound to say "And eleventhly. . . "

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
gtsecc said:
Aren’t we supposed to say, first, second, third, rather than firstly, secondly, and thirdly?
To be absolutely, technically, pompously correct:

"first", "second", "third" are adjectives; so if the list you are describing is a list of objects, you would use this form.

"firstly", "secondly", and "thirdly" are adverbs; so if the list you are describing is a list of actions or of adjectives, you would use this form.

"PaladinValer ate several members: first, AveMaria, second, benedictine, and third, RobNJ. Upon being eaten, AveMaria did several things: firstly, napped; secondly, screamed; and thirdly, gnawed her way out."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
pmcleanj said:
"PaladinValer ate several members: first, AveMaria, second, benedictine, and third, RobNJ. Upon being eaten, AveMaria did several things: firstly, napped; secondly, screamed; and thirdly, gnawed her way out."

Well, that is quite the lovely example you have given us. Hehehehehe. :p

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pmcleanj said:
To be absolutely, technically, pompously correct:

"first", "second", "third" are adjectives; so if the list you are describing is a list of objects, you would use this form.

"firstly", "secondly", and "thirdly" are adverbs; so if the list you are describing is a list of actions or of adjectives, you would use this form.

next English class I take...I'm coming to you...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian Augustyn

Aug 18, 2004
Connecticut
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are three points always worth considering when asking questions as to proper grammar, or anything proper, to be used in online communication.

1) Cherish clarity and brevity above all; use passion if so moved, spelling if you must. Grammar is just showing off.

2) At any given moment, your reader likely knows more about proper Klingon or Elvish grammar anyway, so why kill yourself?

C) There won't be a test on any of this.

Whatever you choose, consider consistancy.

But not too hard.

cheers,
Brian

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.