Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because we've allowed ourselves to become polarized. Everyone has a different definition of "wasteful spending" and everyone thinks theri definition is 100% right. Nobody has the humility to say "I think I'm mostly right, but I could be wrong, so let's all work together to find the right answer."

There's an easy way to determine which spending is wasteful, and which is not. It should be required of every spending bill that an addendum be adding citing the article in the US Constitution which grants the authority for that spending. If no such authority is found, that spending is not only wasteful, it's unconstitutional. Most of what our federal government does today is both wasteful and unconstitutional.

"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined . . . to be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce." - James Madison, Federalist 45

“With respect to the words general welfare, I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators.” - James Madison

“…the government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government.” - James Madison

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated." - Thomas Jefferson, 1798

"I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson in letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824
(Prophesying the modern Democratic party?)

Excerpts from President Grover Cleveland's veto of relief aid for Texas farmers:

"I return without my approval House bill No. 10203, entitled "An act to enable the Commissioner of Agriculture to make a special distribution of seeds in the drought-stricken counties of Texas, and making an appropriation therefor."

"...I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan, as proposed by this bill, to indulge a benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds for that purpose."

"I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that though the people support the Government the Government should not support the people."

"The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow-citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood."

Upvote 0

Auburn88

Aug 26, 2010
✟820.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Personally? I think you should vote for whoever you think will accomplish the things you want to get accomplished. Republican or Democrat.[/quote

In other words, you're a Democrat and even you can explain why I should vote for a Democrat.

uhmmm...actually both of those are reasons, they may not be good reasons and they may not be reasons you or I care for but they're still reasons.

No, actually, they're not. They're reasons not to vote for Republicans, but they are not a reason to vote for Democrats.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you're a Democrat and even you can explain why I should vote for a Democrat.
hmmm If by "in other words" means "it doesn't matter what's said I'll read into them what I please." then yeah I guess you could read it like that. :sorry:

No, actually, they're not. They're reasons not to vote for Republicans, but they are not a reason to vote for Democrats.
As you will! :D
tulc(must search for more coffee) :sigh:

Upvote 0

Auburn88

Aug 26, 2010
✟820.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
hmmm If by "in other words" means "it doesn't matter what's said I'll read into them what I please." then yeah I guess you could read it like that.

Except that I didn't read anything into your posts. I asked you why I should vote for the Democrat candidate and you were unable to give me a good reason.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that I didn't read anything into your posts. I asked you why I should vote for the Democrat candidate and you were unable to give me a good reason.

You're cute when you're being pedantic! :D
tulc(suspects you hear that a lot) :wave:

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Because it all depends on what you determine to be "wasteful". Is military spending wasteful? Of course it is. The military wastes huge globs of money - recently on projects such as new submarines that will never see wartime use.

Is public education wasteful? In a sense yes. Too much money is spent; yet public education serves an important purpose. Higher education levels are highly correlated with lower crime rates and education is a recognized public good.
Military: they have wasted money, what goverment program doesn't?
New submarines won't see military service? How do you know?
The A10 was thought to be a wasted aircraft, until desert storm, when its design was perfect for the war.(It was being considered for scrapping)
If your saying the nuclear subs are all thats needed, I would have to disagree. I do not know the specificsof the subs, but if the Navy is looking into them, then they must have a need for it.

Pulic education is wasteful(see first line for military.) We spend more then most countries on education and are way down on the ladder of best education. No one is suggesting stopping public funded education. IMO block grants with federal requirements that must be met to continue to recieve the money(minimum standards of education, low drop out rate, good passing rate, etc) It would cut out the federal level of education, and allow the states to fix their education systems directly, and get the bonus of having more money, since no dipping of federal employees for salary.

Tea party is not saying make drastic cuts now! We just want goverment to live within their means, leave borrowing for emergencies. Spend everyday dollars on everyday costs, not borrow to pay everyday bills, that will still be there when we need to pay back the money borrowed.
No paying Visa with the master card.

While this candidate may be "extreme", she is not extreme just because the tea party supports her.

oh, and to the voting record. The republicans were voting wrong for a while there, too. This is not a left or right thing, this is a wrong and a right thing.

Also, alot of establishment republicans said Reagan was not electable.
I think they just wanted to keep the status quo, don't rock the boat, just
play the game, and lie to the people.

Its time to rock the boat, we rocked to the right(Bush-W) we rocked to the left, (Obama's admin), now we rock back to the right, but we don't want the same junk we had with W.(I hope the left figures out how to get rid of their junk for the next rock back.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm responding to him, not to you. He knows what he said.
It does not matter who you are responding to because it is an open forum to respond to whatever anybody wants. You asked him why you should vote for a democrat, and he answered by saying you can vote for whoever you want! There is no other way to take his comment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Auburn88

Aug 26, 2010
✟820.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dracil said:
Oh hey, looks like our good little Christian also dabbled in witchcraft.

For somebody who's religion teaches that you can pray to dead people and ask them to do miracles for you, I'd think you'd be a little more sympathetic.

Take a look at the kid in my avatar. He also did some dumb things when he was a teenager. Now, he's turned himself around and is a valuable and productive member of the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh hey, looks like our good little Christian also dabbled in witchcraft.

O'Donnell In 1999: 'I Dabbled Into Witchcraft' (VIDEO)

The question is, what's she doing now?

"Good little Christians" got to be "good little Christians" because they recognize their need for a Savior. And even after accepting Him, that still doesn't mean they won't stumble.

Human beings are not perfect; they make mistakes, they do dumb things. That's why God the Father sent Christ here in the first place.

Even though our fellow human beings hold our missteps against us for the rest of our lives, God doesn't; and in the end game, that's really all that counts, now, doesn't it?

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

"Good little Christians" got to be "good little Christians" because they recognize their need for a Savior. And even after accepting Him, that still doesn't mean they won't stumble.

Human beings are not perfect; they make mistakes, they do dumb things. That's why God the Father sent Christ here in the first place.

Even though our fellow human beings hold our missteps against us for the rest of our lives, God doesn't; and in the end game, that's really all that counts, now, doesn't it?
Yea, but once a Muslim always a Muslim regardless of what they say....

Upvote 0

mcswan

Oct 18, 2007
Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you.

Some of us forget that we're imperfect and need God's redemptive grace through Christ. By faith alone, brother!:preach:

“O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
to every believer the promise of God;
the vilest offender who truly believes,
that moment from Jesus a pardon receives.”
Fannie Crosby, To God Be The Glory

“Betwixt the stirrup and the ground
Mercy I asked, mercy I found.”
William Camden

Upvote 0