United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
Let's try this senario. Say a female you know and care about wants to become a dancer in an adult venue, and her justification is that "it will be great money and I'll donate it." Would you not try to sway her from that subjection?

Yes, I would most definitely try to disuade her. However, this is a different question altogether than the earlier one. If this person was already an "adult dancer" and offered to give me money I would accept it for a just cause. But do I condone the way the money was earned? No. Absolutely not.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
jameseb said:
Yes, I would most definitely try to disuade her. However, this is a different question altogether than the earlier one. If this person was already an "adult dancer" and offered to give me money I would accept it for a just cause. But do I condone the way the money was earned? No. Absolutely not.

I just see it as accepting the money is an action that condones the source. It's my understanding of the charge to "Go out into the world.." means everyone we encounter who does not know Jesus. If we accept the money, then that person will surely not respect anything we try to say about Jesus. However, if we refuse the money, and share (as we are led by the Holy Spirit) the Love of Christ with the person...well, that just seems to be the priority, IMO.

Take care

Upvote 0

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Neverstop said:
One principle I try to live by is to not benefit from the exploitation of others. Drug addicts are in pain, and it is their pain that motivates the movement of dead presidents from their pockets to those of the dealers. I don't think I could accept that money and be clear in conscience.

Just curious could you buy a house or property that has been foreclosed on?

Upvote 0

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Neverstop said:
I just see it as accepting the money is an action that condones the source. It's my understanding of the charge to "Go out into the world.." means everyone we encounter who does not know Jesus. If we accept the money, then that person will surely not respect anything we try to say about Jesus. However, if we refuse the money, and share (as we are led by the Holy Spirit) the Love of Christ with the person...well, that just seems to be the priority, IMO.

Take care

Jesus accepted the perfume from the lady who had lived a very sinful life
Luke 7:35-45
How might this related to accepting money from a sinful person for a just cause?

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Street Smarts said:
How might this related to accepting money from a sinful person for a just cause?

What did the expensive perfume mean to her former lifestyle? She poured it out on Jesus' feet and cleaned them with what used to be an important part of her occupation. Symbolically, she gave all she had to Jesus. Now, if a drug dealer accepted Christ (as she did) and went to church and gave all he had (as she did), then that would show the dealer has given her/his life over to Christ and will not return to the former lifestyle. She did not give a little perfume and then go to her next "job."

Anyways, that how I see it, but who knows?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Street Smarts said:

In this case, not at all.

You're assuming the GOP's cause is "just." They pocket the money from the very institutions they publicly condemn, keeping them and themselves in business perpetually.

Taking money from inappropriate contentographers can be justified.
Hypocrisy cannot be justified so easily.

Upvote 0

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Nathan Poe said:
In this case, not at all.

You're assuming the GOP's cause is "just." They pocket the money from the very institutions they publicly condemn, keeping them and themselves in business perpetually.

Taking money from inappropriate contentographers can be justified.
Hypocrisy cannot be justified so easily.

Sorry my analogy was specifically for the post that Neverstop had posted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Street Smarts said:
Wow there are millions of people that DO actually own property and homes. But thanks for answering my question

Gee, thanks for the info.:p There are also millions of people addicted to drugs, sex, and alcohol. There are millions starving and dying from curable/treatable diseases, there are millions facing military abuse/threat every single day. Quantity does not justify anything.

I would argue for all that do own property that they are not following the teachings of Christ in community because it was made clear God is the only land owner, the rest are paying for an expensive fantasy.

Since you have honored me for the specific analogy, would you care to respond to my answer concerning the perfume?

Upvote 0

Whyzdom

Biblicist
Oct 13, 2004
Moline, Illinois USA
✟17,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Neverstop said:

Take care

So a Prostitute, yearning for a better life... walks into a church... She takes all of her money and drops it into the collection plate...should the Church accept it or not? If they don't want to accept it, how do they know how much she put into the collection plate in the first place? Do they then return it to her? If the Church doesn't see her do it, but yet notice the collection has more than doubled this one day, do they suspect where the money came from and decide not to use it?

Despite what we may think, God uses many different things to further His cause... be it money donated by some firm, money donated by a prostitute visiting a church, be it some druggie street person making a statement to you that convicts your heart..

How about we do our part, in our lives, and let God sort out the details.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Whyzdom said:
So a Prostitute, yearning for a better life... walks into a church... She takes all of her money and drops it into the collection plate...should the Church accept it or not? If they don't want to accept it, how do they know how much she put into the collection plate in the first place? Do they then return it to her? If the Church doesn't see her do it, but yet notice the collection has more than doubled this one day, do they suspect where the money came from and decide not to use it?

Despite what we may think, God uses many different things to further His cause... be it money donated by some firm, money donated by a prostitute visiting a church, be it some druggie street person making a statement to you that convicts your heart..

How about we do our part, in our lives, and let God sort out the details.

There were a couple of KEY elements not addressed in this...senario...and as such inherently changes the dynamics of the aformentioned post rendering the response inapplicable.

Upvote 0