Google Alert -- IMPORTANT -- MUST READ!

What do you think of the new feature?

• Cool! What's Michael Jordan's number?

• Hey, now I can look up my friends' numbers.

• *no opinion yet*

• Not too sure about this idea.

• Totally unsafe.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jesusrocksmyworld

God ain't done w/ me yet!
Jul 9, 2003
SLC, Utah
Visit site
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My sis-in-law forwarded this e-mail to me, and I tried it with a few numbers. :eek:

Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house. Everyone should be aware of this! Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in google.com. My phone number came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest link, it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your own number. Read below for details. Think about it-if a child, single person, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. Mapquest will put a star on your house on your street. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: http://www.google.com -- Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon next to your phone number and follow the prompts. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours. If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check. Please forward on to friends and family.

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I voted no opinion. People who have their phone numbers listed in phone books are the ones in the google directory.

Each person has the option to stay out of phone books - and to go a step further and get off the telemarketer call lists.

Thats one of the irritants about the USA do not call list - if people had been active when getting their drivers license (thats where you waive the right for your info to be public) in the first place, legislation wouldn't have had to be involved.

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Raterus, it looks like it doesn't work for cells or land lines that are non-published. That's what had me concerned. I thought because it worked on the first numbers I tried, it would work for all. But it only does for numbers that are published in the phonebook, which is easily accessible anyway. I tried several numbers and they came up complete with a map. But when I tried my land line number--nothin'.

Upvote 0

aria384gp:)

FORGIVEN
Oct 22, 2003
✟15,731.00
Faith
Christian
Wow. Thanks for the notice. Even though that information is located in the phonebook, you can't the person's name and address unless you already know who you're looking for. With this feature, someone you don't want coming to your house, can just get your number from someone and... thereby find out your name and where you live. Scary.

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/google.htm

Claim: Entering a phone number into the Google search engine will return a home address and a map with directions to that address.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

As to the issue of whether this Google feature is a shocking "invasion of privacy," there are a few points to keep in mind:

This feature is not "new" -- the PhoneBook service has been offered by Google for at least a year now.

This feature does not work for every phone number. Some classes of phone numbers, such as unpublished phone numbers (i.e., numbers belonging to customers who have requested that their local phone service providers not publish their numbers in printed phone directories or make them available through directory assistance), will not display.

The information displayed is compiled from a number of publicly accessible sources and is not unique to Google. There are many other web sources through which users can look up the same information.

Google has simply combined two different services readily available on a number of different web sites -- reverse phone directory look-ups and mapping/driving directions services -- into one step. Even without Google, it's a simple feat for any moderately knowledgeable web user to plug a phone number into a reverse phone directory web site to find the name and address corresponding to that number, then use an on-line service such as Mapquest to obtain directions to that address.
In short, the Google PhoneBook feature may be troubling to those who value their privacy, but it's a symptom and not a cause. The larger issue is that many entities we deal with in daily life who are privy to our personal information can make that information available to sources that compile databases which services such as Google PhoneBook use. The public has been making privacy gains through the implementation of laws such as those requiring credit bureaus, phone companies, and motor vehicle bureaus to offer "opt-out" features which provide customers with means to restrict the distribution of their personal information, but until that larger issue is completely eliminated, trying to keep one's personal information off the web is akin to engaging in a perpetual game of "Wack-a-Mole": momentarily satisfying but ultimately accomplishing nothing.

Last updated: 26 March 2003

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums