Good guy with a gun killed by police after stopping shooting

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,779.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember during the terrorists attacks in pairs a french cop attacked the US nonsense about good guy with a gun by saying, "If I show up to a place and seen two groups of people shooting, I'm shooting everyone, I'm not going to risk lives by trying to guess whose the good guys and who is the badguys."

• Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,867.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I get that. His intentions were good, even noble. But it was a bad idea to have picked up the gun.

Bad idea to even try? It was a freakish outcome, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.

Anyone capable but unwilling is a coward.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Estrid claims to be asian.

But the narrative here is that ANYone can be white privileged. It's even been said about black people if they're too successful in life. SCOTUS justice Clarence Thomas, Kayne West, etc.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,327.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But the narrative here is that ANYone can be white privileged. It's even been said about black people if they're too successful in life. SCOTUS justice Clarence Thomas, Kayne West, etc.
I fail to see what any of this has to do with the topic of this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,435.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just imagine 2A enthusiasts after hearing stories like this standing there with their Thin Blue Line flags, mouth agape, one eye twitching as they try and grasp the irony of it all. "...er...good guy.. um.. with... gun.. uh...em... we... we support the police.... 2nd amendment.... "

Actually, a good many people with handgun carry licenses also have beef with how police handle such situations. For instance, a lot of the rank-and-file NRA members bailed out of the organization after it supported the police following the Philando Castile incident. A lot more bailed after the NRA supported the police after the Brionna Taylor incident.

Yeah, even white gun owners saw themselves as those possible victims, particularly after the Brionna Taylor incident.

Moreover, there are more cases of police erroneously shooting each other at crime scenes than there are of police shooting armed law-abiding civilians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,435.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Picking up the gun was probably a bad idea. But in the moment, who thinks about things like that? There are no heroes here, just people who made mistakes, some of them with good intentions.

I totally think of things like that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,435.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally have not intention of being the superhero at a shooting scene. I'm armed as a final option if/when an armed retreat is necessary--I have myself been in the position of pleading "please don't shoot me," and that is a position that sucks. I want a better option than that. I'm covering my wife as she escapes, if the shooter should be paying attention to us.

There certainly are some tactics discussed and trained for armed civilians. One, for instance, is to be the first person to call 911...because the first person to call 911 gets "victim" status. The second is to stay on the line and continually talking with 911 until the police have actually identified you as non-hostile.

Of course, there are other things, such as not having a gun in your hand as the police get to the scene. These kinds of things have to be thought about, trained, made mental rules.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There certainly are some tactics discussed and trained for armed civilians.

They sound like sensible rules to me. Never thought about it, but I will from now on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shame on anyone who thinks the police are somehow to blame in this tragic event.
I don't think anyone is really faulting the police on this one. But it does seem to really call into question the idea of everyone running around with guns for protection as a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

As one comic remarked, "you can't buy white privilege, but you can rent it."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think anyone is really faulting the police on this one. But it does seem to really call into question the idea of everyone running around with guns for protection as a good thing.

If you look middle-class affluent, white, it probably would help.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whoa, pardner... you're trampling on the Second Amendment there.

• Haha
Reactions: Padres1969
Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whoa, pardner... you're trampling on the Second Amendment there.
LOL. If only.

Won't happen in my lifetime but eventually we'll repeal or amend that particular amendment. As it remains the stumbling block in enacting otherwise sane gun control in this country (like EVERY other 1st world country has in place).

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally have not intention of being the superhero at a shooting scene. I'm armed as a final option if/when an armed retreat is necessary--I have myself been in the position of pleading "please don't shoot me," and that is a position that sucks. I want a better option than that. I'm covering my wife as she escapes, if the shooter should be paying attention to us.

There certainly are some tactics discussed and trained for armed civilians. One, for instance, is to be the first person to call 911...because the first person to call 911 gets "victim" status. The second is to stay on the line and continually talking with 911 until the police have actually identified you as non-hostile.

Of course, there are other things, such as not having a gun in your hand as the police get to the scene. These kinds of things have to be thought about, trained, made mental rules.
One of the reasons this poster doesn't own a firearm is simply the rate of accidents and friendly fire casualties. Additionally, this poster understands that projectiles discharged from a firearm do not have eyes and can sometimes travel through walls, windows, and stuff. Houses in my hood are fairly close together.

Philosophically, I don't oppose gun ownership, but think it is woefully UNDER well-regulated. And, I am constantly amazed about how the same people that want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals will leave said guns in an unlocked vehicle.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,867.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

That could be an entry in a dictionary,
for an example of a strawman.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,867.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
One of the reasons this poster doesn't own a firearm is simply the rate of accidents and friendly fire casualties. Additionally, this poster understands that projectiles discharged from a firearm do not have eyes and can sometimes travel through walls, windows, and stuff. Houses in my hood are fairly close together.

Philosophically, I don't oppose gun ownership, but think it is woefully UNDER well-regulated. And, I am constantly amazed about how the same people that want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals will leave said guns in an unlocked vehicle.

Simply five or six reasons that (simply)
boil down to a lack of earned self confidence /
self control?

I learned to drive a car and avoid accidents or
tickets, owned a little pistol that I learned
to use and take my responsibility very seriously.

Agreed of course that many don't hold thrmselves
to high standards.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Try looking like any demographic not noted for a high rate of violent crime.

"You're young, so I'll shoot first and worry about guilt later." Yeah, there's too much of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0