Gomez Denies Trad Catholic Group Access To Missions, States They "are Not Catholic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
On Saturday, May 12th, a contingent of Traditional Catholics in San Antonio, TX performed their annual “Pilgrimage along the Mission Trail” to celebrate and remember the sacrifice and service of the original Catholic Missionaries that pioneered the Catholic Church in Texas.

The near 7 mile walk starts at Mission Concepcion and end at Mission Espada. At each mission, the group would stop and say a certain devotion, whether it be the Stations of the Cross, the Rosary, or the Litany of St. Joseph.

Sounds harmless, especially since the Missions received thousands of visitors a year, from all faiths, right?

Wrong.

When this contingent of Catholics arrived at the first mission, Mission Concepcion, they were told by an obviously nervous Park Ranger that they were not to enter the mission, by order of Archbishop Jose H. Gomez, the Archbishop of San Antonio.

Why? Why was this contingent of Catholics, who were dress modestly, bearing rosaries, women wearing chapel veils, and just wanted to celebrate the memory the missions of Texas denied even the BASIC ACCESS that so many thousands have been given over the years?

They – according to Archbishop Gomez – were “not Catholic.”

>snip<

===================================

Link --> http://www.youngtraditionalcatholics.com/2007/05/ytc-exlcusive-gomez-denies-trad.html

Thoughts?

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
SSPX is not in communion with the church. They reject church teachings and the authority of the Pope. At least in that regard, this is correct.

Do you approve of Archbishop Gomez's action of denying them entrance to the Missions trail?

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am Adopted, I'm not even Catholic and I'm offended.

That is not the topic of this thread, not even near, and I believe that you create contention just for the sake of it, judging from your actions in a few other threads. You refuse to listen to the points of others, and continue to argue, when it is not necessary or useful.

Thread hi-jacking is not appreciated. This is not Christian love!

actually on topic:

This seems strange, given that there's nothing that seems to have barred others from entering regardless of faith before. Is there something I'm missing?

Upvote 0

NHB_MMA

Veteran
Apr 9, 2006
✟16,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Someone outside the Church doesn't get to tell the Church that they are no longer the Church. The pope was selected through proper processes and is the rightful head of the Catholic Church.

I agree. I think sedevacantists make a few interesting arguments on particulars, but I don't view them as "true Catholics" or anything.

I have high respect for Catholicism, but have concluded I'll never be able to fully reconcile to it, so none of this is a major issue for me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.