✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friends,

I have been active here for 10 years and one issue stands out from the rest.

Due to the lack of evidence of the miraculous in the church there are strong temptations to interpret scripture in such a way as to teach a season of diminished activity from the Holy Spirit.

This assumption gets so strong that any claims of God directly intervening by His Power are dismissed as fake or worse.

Teachers are happy to preach a powerless church as if 'reality' somehow trumps what we read was normal in the early church.

Returning to first Love is presented as a personal challenge rather than a word of rebuke to a Church that has ceased to function as evidence of His Kingdom on earth testifying with the signs of the Kingdom associated with The King Himself, as we see in Luke 7:22

Yet we know that Godliness without Power is an offensive denial... 2 Tim 3:5

God's Love and God's Power are inseparable.

So I had a hand in discipling a Doctor who had experienced a beautiful conversion to Jesus and was thirsty for His Word. With his wife he was eager to serve his new found Master in any was possible.

They invited my wife and I to dinner and asked about praying for their house to be blessed.

I could see that his newly filled heart was open to the Holy Spirit noted his passion to do right, so I followed his desires in this regard.

"Can I anoint the doors and windows with oil" he asked.

"Of course" I said.

So he went around the house dedicating all the entrances to Jesus putting oil on the lintels.

When he came to the back door - as he reached up with the oil - a rush of power knocked him backwards down several concrete steps.

Now he was six foot seven, no small man - totally laid out - overcome by God's presence and power.

We expected him to be seriously injured but he was just fine - basking in God's Love.

So this was nothing we did - we were witnessing God's Love and Power profoundly at work. 1Kings 8:11

Returning to first Love will see also a return of His Power.

Love you all.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your post really resonated with me this morning, as I had just finished reading Revelation 2:1-7:

“To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,

‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” ’

If you feel so lead to do so in this thread, perhaps you might share your thoughts on how one might go about 'rekindling' their first love for God ...

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It can come as a shock when we remember the overflowing love of our conversion and the activity of the Holy Spirit in our lives compared to the striving for what we imagine we have lost. There is no way lack on His part. And just a turning on our part that brings us back out of self, the world and false idols on our part. Giving authority to the King to rule once again in our hearts.

Edit to add that singing His praises with the Holy Spirit is what I am recently taught to return to first love.. The Psalms contain many songs to be sung back to The Almighty God

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your post really resonated with me this morning, as I had just finished reading Revelation 2:1-7:

“To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,

‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” ’

If you feel so lead to do so in this thread, perhaps you might share your thoughts on how one might go about 'rekindling' their first love for God ...

Good thought - but remember, this was a word for the church, they needed to return to the first love recorded in the first 5 chapters of Acts.

A love to be seen by the world - caring for the least - sharing assets - celebrating His Love.

There is however a cost and that is the challenge - to build His Kingdom of love rather than putting our own affairs first in life.

Being the Good News - not just talking about it.

• Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can come as a shock when we remember the overflowing love of our conversion and the activity of the Holy Spirit in our lives compared to the striving for what we imagine we have lost. There is no way lack on His part. And just a turning on our part that brings us back out of self, the world and false idols on our part. Giving authority to the King to rule once again in our hearts.

Edit to add that singing His praises with the Holy Spirit is what I am recently taught to return to first love.. The Psalms contain many songs to be sung back to The Almighty God
Then when you gather - folks will be busting to share about what He is doing and will do so - rather than hearing and seeing the predictable. 1 Cor 14:26

Last edited:
Upvote 0