✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forknowledge and Predestination:

Starting with Romans 8:29 KJV, "For whom he did forknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

God's predestination of the elect is based on his foreknowledge of them(all those who would believe on Christ) before they are born. Therefore to make the election (elect) sure, the life of those who are to be conformed to the image of His Son was/is predestinated based on God's forknowledge of who they are, what they will do, and how they will believe.

God's election is sure, and nothing can change it. This is what is meant in Romans 8:38-39 KJV, 38 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come," 39 "Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

God's election is based on grace, that it might not be of works, that is of the flesh. Through grace the gentiles can be saved. Those who are of Abraham's seed are not all Israel because there are those who continue to chose works over grace. God made a separation between the law, which is of the flesh, and grace, which is by promise, and Has determined that those who remain under the law are not His children because they are the children of the flesh. Yet in Isaac, the children of the promise are counted for the seed (and are His children), Romans 9:7-8 KJV.

Through Abraham God set the new Covenant up, salvation by "Grace," through Abraham's children and grandchildren to assure the promise seed (Christ), and to establish that salvation by grace would "stand" before and after the law (Mosiac law), which would be established over 400 years later, and which would not be able to disannul "the Covenant God made with Abraham," Galatians 3:17 KJV. The Mosiac Law ended in Christ (the promise seed), at HIs death.

So to solidify the new covenant, God made a distinction between the law, which is of the flesh, and Grace, which is of the promise, through Abraham and his two sons Ishmael and Isaac, and Isaac's children Jacob and Esau:

1) The first distinction between the law and grace, was Ishmael who was "the child of the flesh" who represented the law, and was not counted for the promised seed (Christ). But Isaac's birth was the result of the child of the promise, which represented the new covenant, where the promised seed would come through (Christ). Because the law is of the flesh, Christ could not have come through Ishmael. Christ (the promise seed) had to come through the child God promised Abraham, Isaac (the promise seed). So through the promise seed (Isaac), the promise seed (Christ) would come - this is the avenue which God established salvation through grace to bring in the Gentiles as children of the seed (the seed of Abraham). To believe on the Son of God we become the Children of God, where we are counted as the seed of Abraham through Jesus, by the Holy Spirit.

2) The establishment of predestination to where election would "stand" came by way of Jacob and Esau, Romans 9:11 KJV. God forknew the type of people Esau and Jacob would be, so, to establish God's purpose according to "election" that it might "stand", as God's love was toward Jacob and not Esau, Romans 9:11-13 KJV, therefore God set the election up through Rebecca, letting her know before the children were born (not having done good or evil to remove works that it might be by grace) that it was His determination that the older shall serve the younger, and that Jacob was to received the blessing and not Esau. So at the time Isaac was to bless Esau, Rebecca remembered what God said to her and instructed Jacob what to do, Genesis 27:5-17 KJV.

God's predestinion is based on his forknowledge of those who would believe on Jesus, which is the same forknowledge God exercised regarding the two children, Jacob and Esau - he loved Jacob (Grace) and hated Esau (of the flesh). And based on God's forknowledge He Has predestinate us, and Has called and elected us (established in Jacob that "election" might stand - cannot be disannul) to be conformed to the image of His Son, Romans 8:29 KJV, to be His Children. God has established this already and nothing can change it.

We are to always be conscience of our calling, and we are admonished to make our election and calling sure, 2 Peter 1:10-11 KJV. This is done by understanding that the "gospel" is the Power of God unto salvation. Read, study, pray for understanding, listen to the Holy Spirit, go outside the camp - that's the only way we can be strengthened with might in the inner man and continue to walk by the Spirit.

We cannot give ourselves what we don't have. We only receive by the Holy Spirit - so we must wait on God, who will not fail us if we continue in the faith, Colossians 1:23 KJV

Last edited:
Reactions: Terri Dactyl

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Starting with Romans 8:29 KJV, "For whom he did forknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
God declares the end from the beginning and He watches over what He says to perform.

Jeremiah 1:12
Then the LORD said to me, “You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it.”

Isaiah 46:10​

I declare the end from the beginning, and ancient times from what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and all My good pleasure I will accomplish.'

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God declares the end from the beginning and He watches over what He says to perform.

Jeremiah 1:12
Then the LORD said to me, “You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it.”

Isaiah 46:10

I declare the end from the beginning, and ancient times from what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and all My good pleasure I will accomplish.'
Amen!

Upvote 0

Truth_love

Jul 16, 2023
Africa
✟12,053.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God's predestination of the elect is based on his foreknowledge of them(all those who would believe on Christ) before they are born. Therefore to make the election (elect) sure, the life of those who are to be conformed to the image of His Son was/is predestinated based on God's foreknowledge of who they are, what they will do, and how they will believe.
Just to give some additional clarity, God predestines the circumstances in which people will enter and experience His designs, much like a programmer will write codes and set parameters to control how things will go (God is the greatest programmer). Now it is up to us to choose (by the exercise of our wills) whether or not to meet the requirements that predestine us to take part in His wonderful plan and purposes. But since He is All-knowing, He can see who will and who won't follow Him, and He does everything in His power to save them from the path of disaster by sending His word to heal (the infirmity of sin, ignorance, and rebellion) and deliver from harm (Ps. 107.20).

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just to give some additional clarity, God predestines the circumstances in which people will enter and experience His designs, much like a programmer will write codes and set parameters to control how things will go (God is the greatest programmer). Now it is up to us to choose (by the exercise of our wills) whether or not to meet the requirements that predestine us to take part in His wonderful plan and purposes. But since He is All-knowing, He can see who will and who won't follow Him, and He does everything in His power to save them from the path of disaster by sending His word to heal (the infirmity of sin, ignorance, and rebellion) and deliver from harm (Ps. 107.20).
I think even the will to choose is given by Grace.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith is a gift

John 1 specifically states it is not by the will of man...

Look at the second half of the verse "Not of yourself... it is a gift of God."
"saved through faith" that's the text, absolutely no need at all to add anything else to that. It is a grace (or gift) of God that we can be saved at all, but He does extend us grace when we have faith. Now if you are referring to faith as a gift, such as listed in 1 Corinthians 12, then that is a misinterpretation.

The way you are using it, is faith is a gift for salvation. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 12 to people who were already born again and saying that these are some of the gifts that the Spirit will give you (those of you who have been born again), tongues, healings, miracles, prophecy, FAITH....

It's the same type of misinterpretation of Revelation 3:20. "Behold I stand at the door and knock." Jesus is not knocking on the hearts of unbelievers here. These people He is speaking to are those who belong to the church, they have been born again. Jesus is trying to bring them back to fellowship with Him, for they have turned away. It is not an evangelistic scripture as is commonly used.

Reactions: Truth_love
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"saved through faith" that's the text, absolutely no need at all to add anything else to that. It is a grace (or gift) of God that we can be saved at all, but He does extend us grace when we have faith. Now if you are referring to faith as a gift, such as listed in 1 Corinthians 12, then that is a misinterpretation.

The way you are using it, is faith is a gift for salvation. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 12 to people who were already born again and saying that these are some of the gifts that the Spirit will give you (those of you who have been born again), tongues, healings, miracles, prophecy, FAITH....

It's the same type of misinterpretation of Revelation 3:20. "Behold I stand at the door and knock." Jesus is not knocking on the hearts of unbelievers here. These people He is speaking to are those who belong to the church, they have been born again. Jesus is trying to bring them back to fellowship with Him, for they have turned away. It is not an evangelistic scripture as is commonly used.

Faith comes from hearing the Word of Christ. Those who have ears to hear let them hear. The Spirit draws the chosen by His Word. Sometimes the still small voice, sometimes the Word through a preacher or evangelist. Which ever way, salvation starts and ends with Him not us.

Reading the whole passage gives you the picture.

EPH 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well then all will be saved, for it is God's will that all come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:9 states, “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance."

'"The righteous will live by their faith"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that your quote added a word that is not in KJV NASB ESV NIV etc.

You added the word THEIR which is not in the text of mainstream translations.

The quote should be "the righteous will live by faith" to which I heartily agree.

As to will all be saved - not all have ears to hear as Jesus said repeatedly.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that your quote added a word that is not in KJV NASB ESV NIV etc.

You added the word THEIR which is not in the text of mainstream translations.

The quote should be "the righteous will live by faith" to which I heartily agree.

As to will all be saved - not all have ears to hear as Jesus said repeatedly.
Oh come on, you act as if "their faith" is any different than "by faith" it's not, for each one will be judged by whether they had faith or not. (Jn 3:18) Anyways, that's not the point.

Scripture is abundantly clear that God desires all people, everywhere to have a saving knowledge of Him and repent. Your theology here is incompatible with the overarching theme of scripture. That all mankind has sin, and God provided a way for all mankind to be redeemed, not just a handful while barring the vast majority of the others from ever having a chance at salvation.

Although God overlooked the ignorance of earlier times, He now commands all people EVERYWHERE to repent Acts 17:30
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, Titus 2:11
For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord GOD; so turn, and live.” Ezekiel 18:32
This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:3-4
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

It's the same basic error that the Pharisees made that Jesus was constantly rebuking them for. They read the text and just took it at face value without learning the meaning behind what was being said. I don't claim to understand the deep truth about predestination and what that actually looks like, but facts are that there's more to it than just God selects some for salvation and condemns a wide swathe of humanity with no hope for salvation. Otherwise scripture contradicts itself quite dramatically.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh come on, you act as if "their faith" is any different than "by faith" it's not, for each one will be judged by whether they had faith or not. (Jn 3:18) Anyways, that's not the point.

With all due respect the important difference in wording makes the difference between whether salvation faith comes from God or man.

If from man there is room for boasting, and the truth of God's choosing is denied.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@biblelesson

God's predestination of the elect is based on his foreknowledge of them(all those who would believe on Christ) before they are born. Therefore to make the election (elect) sure, the life of those who are to be conformed to the image of His Son was/is predestinated based on God's forknowledge of who they are, what they will do, and how they will believe.

I disagree with this, this is conditional salvation, God making a choice based upon what He sees in people, thats works salvation.

Gods foreknowledge denotes He foreloved a person, and foreordained that person, based solely on His Sovereign prerogative within Himself. Rom 9:11

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@biblelesson

I disagree with this, this is conditional salvation, God making a choice based upon what He sees in people, thats works salvation.

Gods foreknowledge denotes He foreloved a person, and foreordained that person, based solely on His Sovereign prerogative within Himself. Rom 9:11

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)
I don’t understand the point you are making.

You said: “Gods foreknowledge denotes He foreloved a person, and foreordained that person, based solely on His Sovereign prerogative within Himself.”

What you pointed out is not accurate. God had a purpose for making the selection. He didn’t just hate Esau based on His prerogative and love Jacob based on His prerogative. God’s love and hate decision was based on his forknowledge of the two. God is not a cruel God; He would not hate based on His prerogative, that is, for no reason.

God made a distinction between the children (Jacob and Esau) before they were born. And the scripture says, Romans 9:11 KJV, “…that the purpose of God according to election might stand.”

So, what does “that the purpose of God according to ELECTION might stand” mean?

And what does “not of works, but of him that calleth” mean?

Verse 12 (Romans 9:12 KJV), goes on to explain God’s election - It is obvious that God chose Jacob and not Esau, because God reversed the order and said the older shall serve the younger. God knew it was the younger that was suppose to serve the older brother, and that it was the older brother who was suppose to receive the father’s blessing. The question is why would God reverse this order? And why did God establish ELECTION in this manner? And for what purpose?

Verse 13, (Romans 9:13 KJV), goes on to say as it relates to the two children having “not yet been born” that He loved Jacob and hated Esau.

So for the purpose of election, “that it might stand,” based on God’s forknowledge He chose Jacob to receive the blessing, because again, based on His forknowledge of the children, He loved Jacob and hated Esau before they were born?

Not based on His Sovereign prerogative, as you made this up - it’s not scriptural.

But based on His forknowledge, as the scripture states.

Christ had to come through the son who would received the blessing from Isaac. The son to receive the blessing from Issac was Esau, the son God hated (before he was born). Why did God hate a child before it’s born? It was based on His forknowledge of that child, the evil that would come out of Esau. If God had chosen Esau, and established election through Esau, then he would have been establishing evil. So to avoid this, He reversed the order forknowing Jacob would be the righteous son for Jesus to come through, so that election might stand - for us under Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don’t understand the point you are making.

You said: “Gods foreknowledge denotes He foreloved a person, and foreordained that person, based solely on His Sovereign prerogative within Himself.”

What you pointed out is not accurate. God had a purpose for making the selection. He didn’t just hate Esau based on His prerogative and love Jacob based on His prerogative. God’s love and hate decision was based on his forknowledge of the two. God is not a cruel God; He would not hate based on His prerogative, that is, for no reason.

God made a distinction between the children (Jacob and Esau) before they were born. And the scripture says, Romans 9:11 KJV, “…that the purpose of God according to election might stand.”

So, what does “that the purpose of God according to ELECTION might stand” mean?

And what does “not of works, but of him that calleth” mean?

Verse 12 (Romans 9:12 KJV), goes on to explain God’s election - It is obvious that God chose Jacob and not Esau, because God reversed the order and said the older shall serve the younger. God knew it was the younger that was suppose to serve the older brother, and that it was the older brother who was suppose to receive the father’s blessing. The question is why would God reverse this order? And why did God establish ELECTION in this manner? And for what purpose?

Verse 13, (Romans 9:13 KJV), goes on to say as it relates to the two children having “not yet been born” that He loved Jacob and hated Esau.

So for the purpose of election, “that it might stand,” based on God’s forknowledge He chose Jacob to receive the blessing, because again, based on His forknowledge of the children, He loved Jacob and hated Esau before they were born?

Not based on His Sovereign prerogative, as you made this up - it’s not scriptural.

But based on His forknowledge, as the scripture states.
If you dont understand, thats fine, you were challenged though.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are saved through faith, not through grace. That's an entirely unbiblical statement to make.

Read Ephesians 2:8 again, saved BY grace THROUGH faith. Only those who have faith will receive grace and be saved.
Believing is because of grace, so you put the cart before the horse Acts 18:27

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

The word through, the prep dia means:

1. through
    1. the ground or reason by which something is or is not done
      1. by reason of
      2. on account of
      3. because of for this reason
      4. therefore
      5. on this account
One cannot believe except its caused by grace, the grace of the Spirits regeneration. The lost unregenerate man or person doesnt have salvation faith, he is dead spiritually and in the flesh, and they which are in the flesh cannot please God, Period Rom 8:8

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you dont understand, thats fine, you were challenged though.
I completely understand; I’m not confused.

I didn’t really see a challenge, as I didn’t see your scriptures to challenge the scriptures I listed. This is not a debate, but if you were trying to help me understand, you failed to use sound scriptures to explain.

You completely ignored all the scriptures I listed and the questions. So, who don’t understand?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith is a gift

John 1 specifically states it is not by the will of man...

Look at the second half of the verse "Not of yourself... it is a gift of God."
John 1:12-12 says

“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right (power and authority) to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭12‬-‭13‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

The cause for receiving the right, power, and authority to become a child of God is the act of receiving Christ. Being born not of the will of blood, flesh, or man, but of God means that they have become a new creation, born again, thru the Holy Spirit receiving a heart of circumcision. If they couldn’t receive Christ without first being given the right, power, and authority to do so then the statement becomes circular and those who do not receive Christ are not actually responsible for their unbelief and not deserving of condemnation.

Upvote 0