Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you know? How do you know what God is calling you to do? If he is calling you to full-time ministry or calling you to serve in a church (not full-time but volunteer)?

All through High School I thought I was called to be a youth minister. I would hang out w. my youth minister and help him with things just to be around it. I loved it! Afer High School I went to a Christian College. I got through 2 years and did a summer "internship" at a small church. It was horrible! I since decided - maybe this ISN'T what God called me to do. I'm now working in IT for a consulting firm outside of Chicago. Although the job isn't bad I find it very unsatisfying. Then what did he call me to do?

How did you know God wanted you to be in full-time ministry?

Watcher-for-your-soul

Basic Christian
Dec 23, 2003
✟212.00
Faith
Christian
bigat said:
How do you know? How do you know what God is calling you to do? If he is calling you to full-time ministry or calling you to serve in a church (not full-time but volunteer)?

All through High School I thought I was called to be a youth minister. I would hang out w. my youth minister and help him with things just to be around it. I loved it! Afer High School I went to a Christian College. I got through 2 years and did a summer "internship" at a small church. It was horrible! I since decided - maybe this ISN'T what God called me to do. I'm now working in IT for a consulting firm outside of Chicago. Although the job isn't bad I find it very unsatisfying. Then what did he call me to do?

How did you know God wanted you to be in full-time ministry?
Weeellllll....it took me 20 years to get into "full time ministry". When it happened 15 mos ago, I was not seeking it.

Here's what's important to keep in mind. You are not called to "vocational" ministry, you are not called to "full time ministry", you are called to serve God in an area where you are gifted and where He provides opportunity now. You find where to go next by doing what opportunity God has given you to do today. There are no "volunteers" mentioned in the Bible, only servants. There is no difference in the call of God on a person in paid ministry, and one who is an unpaid servant. The only difference is the activity and opportunity.

My own experience, which will no doubt be different than yours, was that I served in one church for 20 years as an adult and youth Sunday School teacher, and adult group leader. The success that God gave us in those areas led to the offer to come on the staff of my church (of around 3500 members) as the Pastor of Leadership Development overseeing and developing small group ministry. What I understood going in, however was the call on my life had not changed. I did not negotiate for a salary with my pastor. My only "conditions" for coming on the paid staff was that I could continue to be a 10th grade SS teacher, and an adult group leader myself. It has since become evident that my connection with youth and my experience with and relationship with our adult group has been critical in developing ministry since I have been on the staff. God saw all this before it happened and used it all together.

A little clarification--all through high school, did you feel like you were called to "be a youth minister"---or did you feel like you were called to "minister to youth?" There's a big difference. The feeling that one is called to a ministry can be a human desire and ideal that can be mistaken for the call of God on your life. But the desire to minister to people in a particular area is almost never a human ideal, but the call of God. It's always about the people you are compelled to minister to, never what you want to do for a job.

Our (my wife and I) driving desire and commitment to serve and minister to teenagers and adults in various areas of teaching and pastoral care in our church for years, developed into what is now my job. It never starts with the call to a "job in ministry". It always starts with what you are willing to do to serve God where He gives you the opportunity, regardless of whether it becomes your job now or never.

So, to sum it up. What have you been gifted to do? Who (what age group, area of ministry) do you have a desire to minister to? What are the opportunities? That's where you start. Don't worry about what you thought or about a bad experience as an intern. All that will be beneficial at some point. Start serving today where there is an opportunity. Commit for life. What He wants you to do will become clear day by day, week by week. Enjoy it.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
When you can't see yourself doing anything else.

When you have an all consuming fire to serve God at all times

When you weep for his people

When you awake in the middle of the night and cry JESUS

When you can honestly say "Lord use me anyway you want to today" and then do it

When no job is too menial

When no job is too great

When the only voice you hear is the Lords

That is the call

God does not call the equipped he equips the called

Pastor George :wave:

Reactions: RED that's ME
Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
that's some good preaching .... and a awsome cartoon ....
when the only place you are at peace is in His presence ;
when a word , phrase , or scripture lifts you to your feet , again and again and again
when you want to say sit down dude , let me thump that sucker awhile ...
know how , want chance ....

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Is there anyplace we can vote for cutest graphics in a signature?

I would vote for Altya!

And I sense that she is also a pretty mighty warrior for the Lord. :holy:

I know I could like give you some blessing points but I thought
I would do it publicly - Makes the devil get worried when bretheren (and sisteren) dwell
together in harmony and love!

Much Love

Pastor George

Upvote 0

the_blue_rose

Steward of 3XR
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
✟207.00
Faith
Christian
I agree Pastor George.. that's how I know my calling is also in Youth Ministry and Writing. I already lead an online youth community called 3XR but I want to do more and get my community more active! I mean.. ^^; I don't have any training but I know the Holy Spirit is leading me and will lead me to be right people.

Upvote 0

the_blue_rose

Steward of 3XR
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
✟207.00
Faith
Christian
*blink* FYI, I have brought people to salvation thru 3XR. I know 3XR is God's calling for me, and we have helped a lot of people through our Bible studies. I want to do more, but you'll have to read the How do you start thread I made. But there is nothing wrong with communicating online for God's ministry.. Paul only used letters most of the time if you remember.

Upvote 0

prssyprncss

Psycho's wife...poor him!
Feb 29, 2004
New Mexico USA
✟15,261.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I thought I'd post here, because it seems to be the place where my post will fit the best. I would encourage anyone who has a family to check and see if your FAMILY is called to the "fishbowl" of full-time ministry before you subject them, and yourselves to the cats outside the fishbowl. To make an extremely LONG story a little shorter....My parents were involved in auxiliary ministry since before I was born. Like Children's Church and stuff. When I was 12, my Dad decided, basically because he wasn't successful at much else, that God had called him to pastor, to set up a church. My mom's first response was "honey, get a new wife, because I'm not called to be a preacher's wife, and your kids are not cut out to be preacher's kids." Well, wiser heads did NOT prevail, and, although some times were good, the next 12 years were AWFUL. I hated the fact that Christians can be so stupid...admitting thieir sins, and then pointing out your's...what's with that??? Well, my Dad ended up using family money to keep the church going, did a WHOLE bunch of illegal things....in the process, I was married and divorced twice and backslid REALLY REALLY bad...as if there's a good backsliding???? I've been back serving the Lord wholeheartedly for about 3 years now, but if I had one thing to say to those that are getting ready to go into Ministry....if you have a family, check and see if they're okay with it....Now my family is one of those "broken families" you read about....I never really minded the fishbowl, just all the stinking cats on the outside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums