Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
All the characteristics of godliness are invisible and unseen, but these are the qualities that Jesus seeks in a person. What are these characteristics? To love one another, forgive, honesty, humble, righteous, moral. These characteristics are like the wind, we cannot see them, but we know they exist and we know how to apply them into our lives. My dear friends, do you have these characteristics?

Pastor Johnny

Last edited:

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All the characteristics of godliness are invisible and unseen, but these are the qualities that Jesus seeks in a person. What are these characteristics? To love one another, forgive, honesty, faithful, humble, righteous, moral. These characteristics are like the wind, we cannot see them, but we know they exist and we know how to apply them into our lives. My dear friends, do you have these characteristics?

Pastor Johnny

I'm too humble to say?

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Devin. Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” The context of this verse was about being humble. Being humble is a great starting point, but we need to also humbly live in obedience as well. But I like your answer brother.

• Friendly
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Devin. Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” The context of this verse was about being humble. Being humble is a great starting point, but we need to also humbly live in obedience as well. But I like your answer brother.

Obedience to God may be required for salvation, but not to be prideful in doing so nor judgmental among other things :) Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Right. That is why godliness is something that is invisible. For Jesus said, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven." True godly characteristics are those which are unseen, but they are seen by our Lord Jesus. Therefore seek after those things which cannot be seen. There your treasure will be also.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Right. That is why godliness is something that is invisible. For Jesus said, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven." True godly characteristics are unseen by men but seen by our Lord Jesus. Therefore seek after those things which cannot be seen. There your treasure will be also.

I should take this time to welcome you to the forums! Welcome :)

Noting that sometimes I will share my Godly experiences on this site to set example for others. But I feel it's OK since we are fairly anonymous here. It's not very humble though. But I feel it's important for others to hear of charity, gifts of the spirit, etc.

Reactions: PJ76
Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Amen brother and thank you for the welcome. As long as we are not sharing our good deeds for the sake of being noticed by people or for some type of gain, I think your godly experiences can have a positive impact on others.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome @Pastor Johnny!

What if one only tries to do them (good deeds) so much, or so as not to be noticed, by anyone, on purpose...?

Does it still come down to what is in the heart, or the reasons and motives behind that, ect...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for the welcome Neogaia. Do you mean like doing a good deed in secret on purpose? If so, I see nothing wrong with that. That can just be a part of your personality.

Yes, Jesus not only knows the good deeds we have done, but He also knows why we did it. In other words, Jesus knows our intentions. So yes it would still come down to the heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for the welcome Neogaia. Do you mean like doing a good deed in secret on purpose? If so, I see nothing wrong with that. That can just be a part of your personality.

Yes, Jesus not only knows the good deeds we have done, but He also knows why we did it. In other words, Jesus knows our intentions. So yes it would still come down to the heart.
I have a fear of drawing or attracting attention to myself, basically, and while I'd like to think it's just because of only discretion, or wishing to be discreet, then why do I fear losing it or not having it anymore so much...?

I Like to do my good deeds in secret because of that... Not before or in front of anyone really, even get paranoid about it sometimes... Fear that they will think "I" am good, or really something, and not God, ect...

When I know I am nothing, ect...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said we would know true believers by their fruit (Matt 7:16). Fruit is an outward expression of Godly character.

Matt 5:16 tells us to let our light shine before men so they can see our good works and glorify God.

2 Cor 5 says we are ambassadors of Christ. That we are His representatives. What are we representing if not Godly character?

2 Cor 3 says we are being transformed (metamorphosis) from glory to glory into the image (visible image) of Christ. Meaning as we grow in our relationship with God there should be a noticeable change in us that reflects Godly character in us.

Seems pretty clear to me that Godly character is not meant to be hidden, but displayed for the world to see. The only time we are told to keep it hidden is with charitable giving (Matt 6) and that's because giving to impress others isn't Godly character in the first place.

Of course we don't do what we do out of pride or for our own glory, but we should never be afraid to boldly represent the kingdom of God. To put it another way we don't represent God to be seen, we do it because it's the right thing to do and it allows Him to be seen.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello Neogaia. Whether your doing the good deeds in secret or out in the open, as long as your not doing it to show off your righteousness, you are perfectly fine. I believe the fact you are asking, tells me its coming from your heart. But only Jesus knows for sure.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Topher. But Jesus also said, "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart." So the context here is that your inward will display the true outward. But outward doesn't necessarily mean public since even a deaf man can commit a sin without even saying a word. And so can a paralytic man still praise God without lifting an arm or a leg. In other words, it all basically comes down to the heart which the bible calls the root.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Topher. But Jesus also said, "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart." So the context here is that from your inward, displays the outward. In other words, all our true intentions comes from the heart, that is the root. So you can't produce good fruits without having the root to produce it. The root is the heart.

I'm pretty sure that was covered in my post. When people start talking about actually being fearful of drawing attention to themselves by doing the right thing, I'd say say there is an issue since fear doesn't come from God.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
But the bible also says, "The fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." And Jesus Himself also said "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" So why would Jesus tell us to fear, if fear in and of itself was a bad thing? Which means not all types of fear is necessarily bad. Some types of fear is actually good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But the bible also says, "The fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." And Jesus Himself also said "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" So why would Jesus tell us to fear, if fear in and of itself was a bad thing? Which means not all types of fear is necessarily bad. Some types of fear is actually good.
This is completely misleading. Fear of the Lord is not the same thing as a spirit of fear. Fear of the Lord is awe and respect of God, a spirit of fear is being afraid, or timid, causing us to be compelled into action or inaction inconsistent with God's nature. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love power and sound mind. They are even 2 different Greek words. Fear of the Lord was not mentioned here that was clearly not the context.

Reactions: danielmears
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This is completely misleading. Fear of the Lord is not the same thing as a spirit of fear. Fear of the Lord is awe and respect of God, a spirit of fear is being afraid, or timid, causing us to be compelled into action or inaction inconsistent with God's nature. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love power and sound mind. They are even 2 different Greek words. Fear of the Lord was not mentioned here that was clearly not the context.
I fear myself... And that may be only meant for a time till I am perfected and made complete in Love, IDK...? But, what kind of fear is it...? and is it healthy or unhealthy...?or is or can it actually be wise maybe, at times and at this point for me...? And other where I am at dealing with what I am now dealing with where I am at...? It's a unique kind of/sort of "thing/place or whatever" or pressure of a very unique kind that I do not know if you are familiar with...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Topher, that is not true and you are in error. Lets look at the definition of fear used in Hebrew and Greek.

The fear (yirah) of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding Proverbs 9:10 (KJV) The word "fear" in the this verse is the noun yirah, derived from the verb yarah. Yarah in Hebrew means to be afraid of or in great awe of.

"But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" Luke 12:5 NASB The word "fear" Him use here is the Greek word phobethete. From phobos; to frighten, i.e. to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe of, i.e. revere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I fear myself... And that may be only meant for a time till I am perfected and made complete in Love, IDK...? But, what kind of fear is it...? and is it healthy or unhealthy...?or is or can it actually be wise maybe, at times and at this point for me...? And other where I am at dealing with what I am now dealing with where I am at...? It's a unique kind of/sort of "thing/place or whatever" or pressure of a very unique kind that I do not know if you are familiar with...?

God Bless!

If I understand you correctly it seems to me you are describing a fear of failure, which is extremely common. Romans 8 says, (paraphrasing) that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose... that means you do not need to be afraid of doing the right thing, or afraid of failing or missing it... IF... you love God and are truly trying to do the right thing... THEN... even if you mess up, He's got your back and will make all things work together for good. It later goes on to say if God is for us then who can be against us? God is with you and if you have a healthy love and respect for Him (fear of the Lord), you don't need to be afraid of missing it or be timid, but you can boldly, in love, represent His kingdom.

Blessings

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Topher, that is not true and you are in error. Lets look at the definition of fear used in Hebrew and Greek.

The fear (yirah) of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding Proverbs 9:10 (KJV) The word "fear" in the this verse is the noun yirah, derived from the verb yarah. Yarah in Hebrew means to be afraid of or in great awe of.

"But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" Luke 12:5 NASB The word "fear" Him use here is the Greek word phobethete. From phobos; to frighten, i.e. to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe of, i.e. revere.

Apples and oranges. You are describing exactly one half of what I said... fear of the Lord... that's all fine and good. But a spirit of fear is being afraid or timid. Greek Deliah: timidity, fearfulness, cowardice. The post I was responding to was NOT describing a fear of the Lord, it was expressing timidity to sharing the good news, hence my response, to encourage someone not be afraid to display Godly character.

I would be VERY careful of telling someone they are in error, when your focus appears to be more on being right than addressing real issues and struggles that are right under your nose.

Upvote 0