In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the major objections I have heard to the NIV and other translations from the NA/ UBS4 Greek texts is that they change the word "God" to "He" in a couple of places. Could those who hold the belief that this is a porblem please expound upon their objection? I am interested more in your ideas and not necessarily links that go on for ever in their discussions. I am looking for a fact-filled Cliff-Notes version, although I will use the links in later study that I do.
Thanks and God bless,
Dave

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
1st Timothy 3:16 is where the Critical Text has changed the word "God" to "He who":

To compare the difference between the Received Text and the Critical Text, we will use the King James Version for TR (RT) and the American Standard Version for the CT, because (1) they are literal and accurate representations of their respective texts (2) they are nearly identical in this verse other than the change in question:

King James (TR) "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

American Standard (CT) "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness; He who was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the spirit, Seen of angels, Preached among the nations, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory."

Now, you will note that the CT, translated accurately, doesn't make much sense. This verse isn't even a sentence in the CT. "He who was manifested...received up in glory." Huh? That's not a sentence! Now, the TR reading is a sentence and actually makes sense: "God was manifest in the flesh...received up into glory." So, why did the editors of the CT (Westcott-Hort and others) alter a reading that was a sentence and made sense and turn it into nonsensical gibberish? Simply to remove one reference to Christ's deity from the text of Scripture.

Now, the NIV, realizing that the CT reading makes no sense at all, has decided to yet again alter the text. How? Well, translated accurately the Critical Text says "He who was manifested in the flesh" but the NIV, knowing that is nonsensical has changed it to "He appeared in a body," that is, they have removed the word "who" from the CT via translation. Thus the NIV has given to this nonsensical reading a charade of sensibleness by mistranslating it in such a way that it will make more sense than it is supposed to. [The NIV has also unfortunately changed "flesh" to "body" which is not good since some heresies will accept that Jesus had a body of some sort but refuse to accept that it was a body of flesh, but that's another issue.]

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Now the difference in the Greek texts can be seen below. The only difference, is the omission of the letter theta (transliterated here as q) and epsilon (e) from the Westcott-Hort text (which was carried over into NA/UBS). The simple omission of these two letters theta and epsilon in the Westcott-Hort text has changed the reading from "God" to "he who":

kai omologoumenws mega estin to ths eusebeias musthrion qeos efanerwqh en sarki edikaiwqh en pneumati wfqh aggelois ekhrucqh en eqnesin episteuqh en kosmw anelhfqh en doxh (TR, Stephanus' 1550)

kai omologoumenws mega estin to ths eusebeias musthrion qeos efanerwqh en sarki edikaiwqh en pneumati wfqh aggelois ekhrucqh en eqnesin episteuqh en kosmw anelhfqh en doxh (MT, 1991 Byzantine Majority Text)

kai omologoumenws mega estin to ths eusebeias musthrion os efanerwqh en sarki edikaiwqh en pneumati wfqh aggelois ekhrucqh en eqnesin episteuqh en kosmw anelhmfqh en doxh (CT, Westcott-Hort 1881 Text)

Upvote 0

daveleau

Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must confess that I posted this to get an understanding of what you have been saying without causing a thread to stray off-topic. Thank you for posting and taking the time to help me understand.

Ok. All of your references check out.

You say that the KJV and the ASV are differeing only in the He who/ God issue. Are you saying that the KJV sentence structure in question makes sense, but the ASV does not? Can you help me see what you are talking about? What I see is a proper name tuned into a pronoun. That does not change the meaning in my eyes, provided it is not a trend. for instance, if the texts had had all references of deity written out, then I would see your point. Ben Franklin, while in England before the Revolution, rewrote the Book of Common prayer. He wrote out all instances of Jesus' deity and all instances and discussion of humans being sinful. To me, that is supremely objectionable. To do that once, appears to me as a minor issue. Why does this cause you to take this stance?

I am a believer in the innerancy of Scripture. I know that the Scribes made mistakes, added things and even paraphrased things. So, the changing of one word is understandable based on that. The texts were all pieced together, whether you are talking about the TR, CT or others. These are the issues that allow me to resolve the innerancy issue with the textual differences. I have seen no theological difference in the texts so far. I have seen lexical differences, but these have not ballooned into theological differences for me.

Another question, in my reading, I have heard little about the CT. Most talk about the TR, NA, WH and the UBS versions. Is the CT what the NA/ UBS worked with?

Thank you. All of my questions are meant to inquire and not attack. I have tried to word them in such a way and I hope they come off in that manner. I truly appreciate the discussion and want to see what you are talking about.
God bless,
Dave

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
daveleau said:
Another question, in my reading, I have heard little about the CT. Most talk about the TR, NA, WH and the UBS versions. Is the CT what the NA/ UBS worked with?

CT stands for Critical Text and is used to refer to any and all of the non-TR and non-MT texts. In other words, it refers to the texts that use the Alexandrian manuscripts as their "authority," such as Westcott-Hort, NA and UBS. MT refers to editions of the Byzantine Majority text.

The TR is based on the principle that the manuscripts that were in use by the Greek speaking churches were preserved by usage. The MT is based on the concept of majority rule. The CT is based on the idea that oldest copies are always the best, even if made by the most heretical scribes that ever lived.

daveleau said:
You say that the KJV and the ASV are differeing only in the He who/ God issue. Are you saying that the KJV sentence structure in question makes sense, but the ASV does not? Can you help me see what you are talking about? What I see is a proper name tuned into a pronoun. That does not change the meaning in my eyes, provided it is not a trend.

Ok. The CT and TR, and also therefore the KJV and ASV agree on "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:" So lets look at the rest of the verse by itself:

"God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory." (KJV)

"He who was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the spirit, Seen of angels, Preached among the nations, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory." (ASV)

If you look carefully you will see that the TR reading is a sentence and the CT reading is a fragment in this second part of the verse. The NIV takes out "who" to make the fragment into a sentence, and thus give an inaccurate translation. Now it may seem strange that I say they took out the word "who" since the bolded portion is one word in the Greek Critical Text, namely "os". The fact is, however, that "os" means "who" not "he." Due to the gender and the fact we know who is being spoken of, however, this one word can be rendered "he who." It could also be rendered "the one" or perhaps "which" but not simply "He."

Now, when I posted the Greek text before I did not post the punctuation, but there is a colon right before "theos" in the TR/MT and before "os" in the CT. Now, had the CT editors not merely changed "theos" to "os", but also changed the punctuation in the Greek text (removed the colon) then the CT reading would make more sense than it does now, because then it would read "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness who was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the spirit, Seen of angels, Preached among the nations, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory," in which case the mystery of godliness would be understood to be Jesus Himself, and we wouldn't have the fragment "he who..." So, the current CT makes no sense at all. If the colon were removed, then it would say that Jesus is the mystery of godliness. But the Majority Text and Textus Receptus both say that the mystery of godliness is that GOD manifested himself in the flesh, that is that the mystery of godliness is that Jesus is God. That's right, not only does the Textus Receptus have the word "theos" rather than "os" but so does the Byzantine Majority Text. In other words, "theos" is the majority reading. Rejecting the majority reading on the "authority" of two corrupt Arian manuscripts is a bad idea. The design behind the change is obvious: to remove a reference to Christ's deity. Now, you may say "Removing one reference to Christ's deity is no big deal. We still have other references." Indeed, we still have other references, but if you can be persuaded that one reference was a mistake, why could you not be persuaded that the others are too? Why is their no doubt in your mind concerning his deity? Because traditions tells you that Jesus is God? I am fully persuaded that not only do Arians want to remove all references to Christ's deity and to the Tri-unity of God from Scripture, but so do many traditionalists who would have us accept their traditions as being better than the Bible. It is dangerous business to change even one letter of Scripture, but how much moreso to change two letters!

Upvote 0

inhimitrust

May 17, 2004
Texas
✟837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

daveleau

Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the links.

Ok, I reread the sentence, and you are right that it is a fragment. But, why do you think this relegate the entire translation to being of little use to those who hold the KJV-O preference? Is this just one issue among many? The Latin Vulgate was part of KJV source list, if I am not mistaken. Why is the Greek from one area better, when they are so similar and the theological framework is the same? Or, I should ask first, what theological differences do you see between the MT and the CT? (Thanks for that explanation. I have not studied this aspect in my classes yet.)
My class directed us in a study of a couple of verses that showed that the NIV is a better translation in some aspects. The degree I am seeking is from a conservative seminary, so it's not like they are heretics or anything. :) (Liberty Univ.) They don't preach one version over another. They have shown a couple of times where the KJV is better as well.

Upvote 0

daveleau

Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One note on the CT errors are the ommissions of Acts 28:28 and John 7:53-8:12. These were left out, but some of the fragments of text have empty spaces for these verses. I do not know for sure the reason for the Acts ommission (I can guess why, but...), but the John omission seems to be because the scribes were afraid that this would be misunderstood and used for support of an adulterous lifestyle. Now, while these errors are there, the fact that we have other texts and some texts that were used in the compilation of the CT allows us to have the correct text even though they are omitted in others.

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
daveleau said:
Is this just one issue among many? The Latin Vulgate was part of KJV source list, if I am not mistaken. Why is the Greek from one area better, when they are so similar and the theological framework is the same? Or, I should ask first, what theological differences do you see between the MT and the CT? (Thanks for that explanation. I have not studied this aspect in my classes yet.)

The KJV translators translated the TR but also compared various translations, including all previous English translations, Spanish, Latin, German, etc. so that they would be as informed as possible on how to translate each verse. But to answer your question: There are many theological issues. One is in Matthew 1:25. There, the MT and TR and Latin Vulgate, and therefore all the early English translations including the Rheims (Catholic translation) have the phrase "her firstborn son." The CT, however, says "a son." Now, since the traditional Protestant text (TR) and traditional Catholic text (Vulgate) both agree, although there is theological difference between the people on this point, we must question the motives of the omission in the CT. Catholics don't believe Jesus was Mary's firstborn but rather onlyborn. Protestants (most) believe that Jesus was her firstborn, as in she had more children after him. Even so, the traditional text of both groups (although the people disagree) has the phrase "firstborn." Now the CT comes along and removes it - why? Catholic bias by the CT editors? It is a possibility. The same reasoning could be applied to Acts 8:37. Although it disproves infant baptism, both the Vulgate and TR included it. But the CT takes it out. Do the CT editors have a bias in favor of infant baptism? Possibly.

The main difference between the TR/MT and CT is constant omission. Sometimes the omission changes the meaning. Sometimes it doesn't change the overall meaning because the original was repetitive. For example, in Acts 1:14 the TR/MT says "prayer and supplication" but the CT merely says "prayer." It is obvious that the CT is the one in error. Some scribe thought it would be OK to remove supplication because it seemed repetitive, but he forgot that it is God's word that he was fooling with. There are many errors like this in the CT.

Many of the errors of omission have made their way into the CT through the Codex Sinaiticus which is notorious for omission but held in high esteem by some editors because it is esteemed to be very old. The scribe that copied that particular manuscript did something kind of weird that shows how competent he was to be copying Greek. When he would come to the end of a line, he would split two letter words even though there was plenty of space. He would come across the words "en" or "ek," and although having enough room to write the whole word, would write "e" on the end of the line and "k" or "n" on the beginning of the next. The quote below is from AV or RV? by Philip Mauro where he quotes F.H. Scrivener on the character of Codex Sinaiticus:

But more than that, Dr. Scrivener says: "This manuscript must have been derived from one in which the lines were similarly divided, since the writer occasionally omits just the number of letters which would suffice to fill a line, and that to the utter ruin of the sense; as if his eye had heedlessly wandered to the line immediately below." Dr. Scrivener cites instances "where complete lines are omitted," and others "where the copyist passed in the middle of a line to the corresponding portion of the line below."

So sometimes, the scribe would omit a verse where two consecutive verses ended with the same word, and his eye wondered a line below where it should have been. Now, why didn't he catch his mistakes? Well, Greek at the time was written in all capitals and there were no spaces between words. The best explanation for these mistakes then may be that the scribe didn't know Greek all that well. How would a scribe who didn't know Greek know that "en" or "ek" were one word? How would he know if "e" was the beginning of end of a word? He wouldn't, and thus he would split two letter words at the end of the line even though there was enough space, simply because he didn't know they were one word. Again, he would not be able to read over the page very easily and see that he missed a few lines if he didn't know Greek.

Now, my above suggestion may seem a bit silly, but one of the things that modern critics love about the Sinaiticus is that it is written very neatly. But perhaps it is written too neatly, as if written letter by letter rather than word by word. If you (who know English) are transcribing something in English, you will write word by word. But if you are transcribing Russian (since you don't know Russian) you will transcribe letter by letter. The Russian transcription may turn out to look neater, since you were forced to slow down, but the possibility of error (especially omission) is increased since you have no idea what you are copying.

daveleau said:
Now, while these errors are there, the fact that we have other texts and some texts that were used in the compilation of the CT allows us to have the correct text even though they are omitted in others.

I suppose you mean that although the editors of the CT may omit a certain phrase from their text they still include it in the apparatus and you can therefore resurrect it. Although that may be the case, translations based on the CT don't do that very often.

daveleau said:
My class directed us in a study of a couple of verses that showed that the NIV is a better translation in some aspects. The degree I am seeking is from a conservative seminary, so it's not like they are heretics or anything.

You are probably refering to where the NIV translated a present tense verb as continuous present rather than simple present, like where the KJV says "sinneth not" it says "does not continue to sin" in 1 John 5:18? That's not a real improvement in translation. You can tell by context that "sinneth not" is continuous, since John previously said in 1st John 2:1 "these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate..." by which we know that those who are born of God can sin. So when he says that one who is born of God "sinneth not" in 1 John 5:18, we know that what he means. This little change does not justify using the CT over the TR. The NIV has more bad points than good. (1) Based on the CT (2) Changes "flesh" to "body" (3) Omits more than 16 verses - they are blank (4) It often omits even words that are found in the CT due to its loose translation style (5) It splits Paul's long sentences into little sentences (6) It removes the word "and" from the beginning of many sentences (7) The lying footnotes: Vaticanus and Sinaiticus may be the oldest (and even that is debatable) but they are not the "best" manuscripts

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daveleau

Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll respond more later, as I have to hit the sack for tomorrow. Thank you for your very detailed reply. This is the NIV section I was talking about:
http://www.christianforums.com/t692230
God bless,
Dave

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks. In Romans 13:8 where the KJV says "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law," who would think that it is not an outstanding debt? We should be able to understand that without having to add words to the text. The fact is that the NIV is not translating when they say "except the continuing debt to love one another" because the phrase "continuing debt" is NOT in the Greek text, not even in the CT. So, they are paraphrasing. They are adding words to the text and they don't even italicize them! That's not a more accurate translation - its just taking undue liberty with the text. Now if the NIV took out the words "continuing debt" and therefore said "Let no debt remain outstanding, except to love one another" then wouldn't it say basically the same as the KJV's "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another"? Yes it would, and then it would be a translation rather than a paraphrase. Or if the NIV would at least ADMIT that they added words, by putting them in italics, that would be better.

BTW, I just found this website today, and it has an interesting "testimonial" concerning Codex Sinaiticus:

http://logosresourcepages.org/uncials.htm said:
There is one particular omission that made a real impact upon my mind, that I believe is important to beings into the picture at this point. Several years back I went to the British Museum, specifically to take a look at Sinaiticus. To my surprise I discovered that, while Mark 16:9-20 indeed was missing, it was clear to see that it had originally been there, but had been pumiced (erased) out. The space was still evident in the codex and the letters could faintly be seen.

My point is, it was there originally. I could see it with my own eyes! It was at that point that I realized that the note in my New International Version - "The two most reliable early manuscripts do not have Mark 16:9-20", was not telling the whole story! In reality, the verses were originally there!

I suppose that anyone who doubts the claim can go to the British Museum himself.

Another website, which appears to be a pro-CT website to me, still admits of Sinaiticus:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/codex-aleph.html said:
The text of Sinaiticus (written in four columns to the page) contains an unusually high number of readings which have clearly arisen by transcriptional error, most of them by careless omissions. Aside from these, however, the text closely resembles that of Codex Vaticanus, and so the discovery of Sinaiticus had the effect of increasing the already high reputation of that manuscript. Readings which are shared by both of these codices are usually regarded by critics as deserving of special attention (see Westcott and Hort 1881).

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

openup4christ

עָבַד
Jun 7, 2004
California
✟13,017.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
daveleau said:
One of the major objections I have heard to the NIV and other translations from the NA/ UBS4 Greek texts is that they change the word "God" to "He" in a couple of places. Could those who hold the belief that this is a porblem please expound upon their objection? I am interested more in your ideas and not necessarily links that go on for ever in their discussions. I am looking for a fact-filled Cliff-Notes version, although I will use the links in later study that I do.
Thanks and God bless,
Dave
God is no sex he is God

Upvote 0

daveleau

Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
openup4christ said:
God is no sex he is God
True, but we call Him "He" as it is the closest personal pronoun that we have to describe God.

As for the Rom 13:8, there are some that do not read into the verse and realize that it means a longstanding debt. The NIV is clear on it, and their wording is correct in regards to the author's inteded meaning. Often in the Greek, the literal translation does not convey the same meaning that the Greek conveys. I think this is one instance of this problem. I think we can both come up with many verses where people have taken a literal or incorrect view of one verse and turned it into a major heresy.
I have to do some research on the whole omission issue. The translators of the NIV claim that these are additions made by scribes. I don't want to take them at face value and want to verify, as I have two sources (KJV and the museum) telling me that these are incorrect ommissions.
Thank you for all you have said. If you think of anything else, please let me know.
God bless,
Dave

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.