Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is this some sort of joke to you? It seems you aren't taking this seriously if this makes you laugh out loud repeatedly.

No he’s just not taking you seriously and it’s not hard to understand why.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely ridiculous, I mean I’m literally at a loss for words on how ridiculous this thread is going.
My Pc browser has been throwing gateway issues,
I feel that alone should've been good enough a reason to walk away from this thread.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible supports this position and it so happens that many websites agree. Even if no website agreed, if the Bible said to not be violent and to not provoke children to anger, then you should do it. :)

And you still haven’t said what to do when your children don’t pay any attention to you. You just keep on saying to teach them and guide them and that keeps on failing over and over and over which is exactly why it escalates to spanking. You still haven’t offered any alternative to spanking when talking isn’t working.

The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
My son's most recent challenge in dealing with frustration is, we just found out after 16 years on a particular seizure med; now he's got osteoporosis. He expressed to me how [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed he is at the doctor for not checking this earlier and changing the medication.
Upvote 0
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
Those are adult problems and it's still my job as his parent to help him move through those; so he can learn to build resilience for what ever comes down the road next.

I spend a lot of time listening to him and I express to him that I understand the frustrations; though I understand them from a different set of circumstances.
Upvote 0
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
He knows a lot about my life. He knows the challenges I've faced and he knows about my mistakes.

If you want to teach your kids survival skills; it's imperative that they know it's OK to learn from their mistakes. And one good way that they pay attention to what you say; is when you tell them what you've learned from your own mistakes!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 Samuel 7:14
(14) I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
Proverbs 13:24
(24) He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
2 Samuel 7:14
(14) I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
Proverbs 22:15
(15) Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Proverbs 23:13-14
(13) Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
(14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Proverbs 29:15
(15) The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
Psalms 89:31-32
(31) If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
(32) Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kinda wished i had been beaten more with Rods growing up.
I didn't have that problem. My ol' daddy did not spare the belt. Some folks argue that "sheol" translated "hell" in this vs. only means the grave.
Prov 23: (14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[sheol]​
But I don't know of anyone that was saved from the grave by being spanked.

BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
Maybe my dad took that verse to heart because I remember him trying to save the heck out of me on numerous occasions
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You don’t know what your talking about. You don’t know me and you don’t know my kids.
If you don't respect tyrants; what makes you think your kids do?

• Agree
Reactions: HSong
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
BNR32FAN - And you didn't actually read what I wrote either now did you?

I said that later on there were things I respected my dad for; but not because of spanking. My dad was also a veteran. When I got out of the military; we had a common war experience that we were able to talk about. There was a mutual respect there of each other as fellow veterans.
Upvote 0
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
But as far as the s**** that went on in our household. I don't respect my parents for how they dealt with it!

But there were factors in society in the 70's that worked against my dad being able to get custody of his daughters. My mother had a lot of "social ills". I was subject to years of sexual abuse by an older brother. But the courts in the 70's did not favor fathers as being custodial parents.
Upvote 0
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
I do respect the efforts my dad took to try and protect us. But my mother played some really nasty mind games on him!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I didn't have that problem. My ol' daddy did not spare the belt. Some folks argue that "sheol" translated "hell" in this vs. only means the grave.
Prov 23: (14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[sheol]
But I don't know of anyone that was saved from the grave by being spanked.
How does beating someone deliver them from hell? I know you well enough to know you understand the doctrine of election.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does beating someone deliver them from hell? I know you well enough to know you understand the doctrine of election.
I think you would have to take that up with Solomon who wrote Proverbs. But there are only 2 choices the grave or hell. I am fairly certain that being punished does not keep anyone from the grave. So Solomon must have meant save him from hell by correcting the son so that he is not rebellious.
(13) Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
(14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[sheol]​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My ol' daddy did not spare the belt.
I learnt quickly that weeping willow branches was the worst thing to bring someone when you were getting disciplined.

BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
Argh that was the worst lol. My grandma used to always do that. She’d make ME go get a switch & bring it to her and it better be a good one because if she had to go get it, it’s gonna be ten times worse. Lol
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I learnt quickly that weeping willow branches was the worst thing to bring someone when you were getting disciplined.
Never had the opportunity to make a comparison. Always the 2in wide leather belt.

BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
Yep that was my dad’s preferred choice of discipline. Guess it was because it was always handy & quick to access. For me I told myself I’ll never resort to that level of discipline. Haven’t needed to so far and I hope I never do. I’ve managed to get my kids in line by just being scary and so far the worst I’ve had to do was a moderate spanking by hand.
Upvote 0
BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
So far from what I’ve experienced actual pain has not been necessary to get my kids to comply just the fear of it has been sufficient in my case.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think you would have to take that up with Solomon who wrote Proverbs. But there are only 2 choices the grave or hell. I am fairly certain that being punished does not keep anyone from the grave. So Solomon must have meant save him from hell by correcting the son so that he is not rebellious.

(14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[sheol]
How does being punished keep one out of hell? Scripture declares that all humanity is rebellious. So, explain how that applies to the atonement.

You know "beat" in Hebrew means to come after someone again and again and "the rod of correction" is the tool that's used. And "rod" in that sense is clearly metaphoric!

If your kid doesn't know how to do algebra; you don't physically hit them until they "get it right"? No, you find a method of instruction that works for them.

So why do we seem to believe that physically hitting kids is going to teach them how to behave?

I have a child who was extremely difficult to discipline. He never "learned the lesson" though until I could present it to him in a way that he could absorb it. And I made a lot of mistakes along the way.

The hardest lesson I learned was how to be the parent he needed; not the parent I thought I should be; or the parent other people thought I should be.

My son is almost 21 years old now. He still lives with me. He's got the developmental maturity of maybe an 11 year old; with the intellectual reasoning capacity of maybe a.... 40 year old? He's an "old soul" in a lot of ways. He can't remember squat though. (He's like someone with dementia though he knows he has it.) He gets confused and has difficulty processing information.

But he's 6 foot 1 inch and has like 70 pounds on me. I aint going to "beat" this kid into submission! (Besides he's got osteoporosis and if I injure him; I'm legally on the hook for assault!) Besides the fact that he'd be extremely emotionally distraught if I did something to intentionally injure him. He trusts me and that is something that took a long time to reestablish.

I came from an extremely dysfunctional background and though my parents weren't particularly physically abusive; (they did spank me when I was small) there was a lot of other types of abuse and neglect that went on. When I found out I was pregnant, I promised God and this child; that I was not going to throw him to the wolves of my dysfunctional upbringing. I learned a hell of a lot in those years about the development of the human brain.

My son respects me and obeys me; because I learned to develop a parenting style that was modeled off of my relationship with Christ. And I've known now for almost a decade that he's one of the elect. My son is a believer; despite he struggles with a lot in regards to the limitations his epilepsy causes.

I pray every day for wisdom from God; because I don't know how to help him. I can't do this alone. I know that. And God has brought me the resources (and people) I needed to help me help him get to the next phase of his growth process. And in a lot of ways; I believe my son has taught me more than I've actually taught him.

Now I was in the military for 3 years and did clean up after the 1991 Gulf War; But still, I think my son is one of the bravest people I've ever met. He's faced many life altering events on top of his own mortality; and he keeps going. He prays for help a lot despite the frustration and pain. I have a lot of respect for the kid and how he's prayed through his path in life!

But he would not have gotten as far as he has; if I'd ignored the lessons God was teaching me of how to teach him to be as independent and functional in society as he's capable of being.

After many tough years, multiple school placements and a lot of challenging behavior; there's peace, cooperation and a lot of love in this house. And that didn't happen with me hitting him.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Your quoting verses that have nothing to do with the conversation or the topic and your dodging the question. What do you do when they completely ignore your teaching and guidance? This should be an easy question to answer for you since you seem to be an expert.
What you do is "go back to the drawing board", have the humility to admit that what you're doing isn't working and reserve the right to change your mind about how you problem solve.

Learning how to teach my son required an awful lot of observation. First I had to figure out what was wrong and why the method I was using wasn't working. It took an awful lot of asking people who knew a lot more about child development than I did. I also did (and still do) a lot of looking at medical research about epilepsy and how the brain develops.

I learned that a lot of my son's negative behavior sprung from his own frustration and we worked on methods to help him manage his frustration. And we wrote behavior plans for the school staff to follow.

Eventually we found what worked; and he functions in society as best he can today; considering the limitations that he has.

He listens to me and tries to understand and I listen to him and try to understand. And then we come up with a "game plan" that we can both stick to.

And that's what you do; when they aren't "getting" what you are trying to teach!

• Prayers
BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
If I’m considered to be a “tyrant” for spanking my daughter twice in her nine years of life in this world then so be it.
Upvote 0
BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
I can live with that as long as I’ve done my job as a parent of preparing her for the harsh realities of this world because I’m willing to do whatever is necessary to prepare her because I love her and all my children with all my heart and the last thing I want to see is them not being able to make it in this world after I’m gone.
Upvote 0
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
BNR32FAN:

But it doesn't occur to you that there are other ways to train your children to be prepared? Plenty of people have raised kids to be well functioning adults in this world without hitting them.

The shortsightedness of your own pride stands in your way here; as you readily admitted on this thread that they didn't listen to you!

How prepared are your kids... really?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you do is "go back to the drawing board", have the humility to admit that what you're doing isn't working and reserve the right to change your mind about how you problem solve.

Learning how to teach my son required an awful lot of observation. First I had to figure out what was wrong and why the method I was using wasn't working. It took an awful lot of asking people who knew a lot more about child development than I did. I also did (and still do) a lot of looking at medical research about epilepsy and how the brain develops.

I learned that a lot of my son's negative behavior sprung from his own frustration and we worked on methods to help him manage his frustration. And we wrote behavior plans for the school staff to follow.

Eventually we found what worked; and he functions in society as best he can today; considering the limitations that he has.

He listens to me and tries to understand and I listen to him and try to understand. And then we come up with a "game plan" that we can both stick to.

And that's what you do; when they aren't "getting" what you are trying to teach!
While you might have the best intentions and feel your method has worked for you,
GOD knows better

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
While you might have the best intentions and feel your method has worked for you,
GOD knows better
Really? I'm the one with the obedient 21 year old son. How about you? How's your method working for ya? (You already admitted on this thread that it doesn't!)

Prayers for you; you apparently need them!

• Love
BNR32FAN
BNR32FAN
Well I hope your methods work out for your son better than my mom’s methods worked out for my half brother otherwise you can look forward to supporting him for the rest of his life not knowing what’s going to happen to him when your gone.
Upvote 0
The Righterzpen
The Righterzpen
BNF32FAN

You apparently need prayers too!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator