ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,843.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you can't believe in God because you exist, nature exists, the stars and wonders of the galaxy are there to see, and there is no thing that proves why it is there save for God making it so, how is God to get through?

Perhaps by providing actual evidence instead of wanting us to rely on arguments from ignorance...

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What prevents you from accepting your disbelief?
A desire for there to be something more, though I haven't yet seen evidence of it.
Technically speaking, I accept that I disbelieve, I just haven't given up on the possibility I might believe in something someday.
It goes back to the point of the OP, I'm open to God to reveal Himself, but He hasn't yet

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,843.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A desire for there to be something more, though I haven't yet seen evidence of it.
Technically speaking, I accept that I disbelieve, I just haven't given up on the possibility I might believe in something someday.
It goes back to the point of the OP, I'm open to God to reveal Himself, but He hasn't yet

My desire for something more was based in fear. Fear of death, fear that my life didn't matter, etc. But I got past all that, and now I don't have any pressing need to believe in something I have no evidence for. I'm sure it can be the same for you.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,843.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Atheism unfortunately is an argument from ignorance. Willful ignorance isn't easily persuaded to become educated.

Atheism isn't an argument. It's a denial of a claim.

I'm not willfully ignorant, so present your evidence of any god...

Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheism isn't an argument. It's a denial of a claim.
That's funny. I read atheists in this forum arguing against the existence of God.
Atheism isn't the denial of a claim. Atheism is the statement that there is no God.

I'm not willfully ignorant, so present your evidence of any god...
You're on a forum dedicated to everything you claim doesn't exist. The Bible tells Christians that there is a God and why. Therefore the evidence of God is satisfied.
Conversely, the atheist argues without proof that no thing that is demonstrated as evidence of God according to Christian doctrine exists. Therefore the burden is on the atheist to prove that all that is in the belief of the Christians that hold to God as creator isn't there.

Because the argument about evolution isn't proof. It is a theory that has absolutely no substantive proof of fact. What is termed to have initiated all things, the so named, big bang, is unsustainable for one very good reason, or fact. No scientist can prove what created that which was caused to bang!

Whereas in Christian doctrine God is source. The first cause behind all that exists. You see, that is what you're arguing against. And failing. Because the Christians believe God exists in all that is because he is the source of all that is. And since you exist in a material universe, a material three dimensional plane that is made so by what Christians believe is God as source for it, you are the one that has to prove that existence that Christians believe is due to God isn't due to God.

You're arguing about beliefs here. Christians believe. Atheists don't. That lack of belief isn't proof that Christians belief isn't real. Especially when posited from within a material third dimensional realm.

The atheist arguing what amounts to, nuhuh, god isn't there, isn't proof God isn't there when an atheist is there making the claim.
Get it?

Probably not. That's OK too. Being a member here for some twelve years says a lot . Not about your atheism. But about your motives.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
That's funny. I read atheists in this forum arguing against the existence of God.
Atheism isn't the denial of a claim. Atheism is the statement that there is no God.

Atheism is the lack of belief in deities. That's it. I don't believe that Bigfoot exists. However, I don't state that Bigfoot doesn't exist. If someone finds Bigfoot tomorrow and presents the evidence for everyone to see, I will be very impressed. The same for deities.

You're on a forum dedicated to everything you claim doesn't exist.

We are here to correct the false things that are said about atheists by Christians, such as atheism requires the stance that there are no deities.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,843.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

How come we're getting all these new members that have absolutely no idea what atheism is...?

You're on a forum dedicated to everything you claim doesn't exist. The Bible tells Christians that there is a God and why. Therefore the evidence of God is satisfied.
Conversely, the atheist argues without proof that no thing that is demonstrated as evidence of God according to Christian doctrine exists. Therefore the burden is on the atheist to prove that all that is in the belief of the Christians that hold to God as creator isn't there.

And a lack of understanding of the burden of proof...

Because the argument about evolution isn't proof. It is a theory that has absolutely no substantive proof of fact. What is termed to have initiated all things, the so named, big bang, is unsustainable for one very good reason, or fact. No scientist can prove what created that which was caused to bang!

Or the fact that science doesn't prove things...

Whereas in Christian doctrine God is source. The first cause behind all that exists. You see, that is what you're arguing against. And failing. Because the Christians believe God exists in all that is because he is the source of all that is. And since you exist in a material universe, a material three dimensional plane that is made so by what Christians believe is God as source for it, you are the one that has to prove that existence that Christians believe is due to God isn't due to God.

Or what circular reasoning is...

You're arguing about beliefs here. Christians believe. Atheists don't. That lack of belief isn't proof that Christians belief isn't real. Especially when posited from within a material third dimensional realm.

Well, at least in this paragraph you started out strong...

The atheist arguing what amounts to, nuhuh, god isn't there, isn't proof God isn't there when an atheist is there making the claim.
Get it?

I don't argue that there are no gods. But nice try.

Probably not. That's OK too. Being a member here for some twelve years says a lot . Not about your atheism. But about your motives.

So what are my motives, creepy stalker person?

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we do not have a viable explanation for something, "God did it" does not win by default. You need to actually justify your claim that God did it!

Do you have a more reasonable explanation for the existence of creation other than that of an intelligent designer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheism is the lack of belief in deities. That's it. I don't believe that Bigfoot exists. However, I don't state that Bigfoot doesn't exist. If someone finds Bigfoot tomorrow and presents the evidence for everyone to see, I will be very impressed. The same for deities.
Atheism in the Greek translates as, no god. A-theos. That is the statement that god does not exist. As in, no such thing as .

We are here to correct the false things that are said about atheists by Christians, such as atheism requires the stance that there are no deities.
You're here to correct what you said above in the first sentence? The etymology behind the word atheism affords the stance of , no deity. It therefore isn't a false teaching afforded by Christians. Rather, it is the etymology of the word atheism that states atheists align with the belief there are no god's.

Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How come we're getting all these new members that have absolutely no idea what atheism is...?
I'd wonder why someone who claims they're an atheist doesn't know what atheism's etymology is.

And a lack of understanding of the burden of proof...
Seems common with atheists actually. They don't comprehend that the burden is met when they're trying to argue with Christians that their God doesn't exist.And in process of that attempt claim Christians don't know what atheism is when Christians recognize atheism is the belief there are no gods.

Or the fact that science doesn't prove things...
Even it's theory is lacking in this case.

Or what circular reasoning is...
You resort to that claim a lot it seems. Make no mistake, I'm not here to try to persuade you that God exists.

Well, at least in this paragraph you started out strong...
I consider the source.

I don't argue that there are no gods. But nice try.
I didn't try a thing.

So what are my motives, creepy stalker person?
You're the one that identifies as seeker.
Creepy stalker person? With your post count you don't think people will look to your public profile to see why after all these posts you're still making an argument against Christian beliefs and deity generally?

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,009,059.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
ON!

Thread closed permanently! It has morphed into Apologetics, and become totally Off-Topic to the forum!

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

OFF!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.