razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Emphasizing resurrection and spiritual renewal instead of death and punishing an innocent victim might be a way to reach people who've been turned off to the Christian faith.

EO's "Christus Victor," right? I haven't seen the Passion, but is it fair to say that because a film focuses on His suffering and can't Faithfully proclaim the whole Gospel it is dangerous? I would think if it portrays the suffering accurately, that could be placed in it's proper context within the Gospel. (?)

I believe in the WHOLE Gospel. Paul preached that, right?

Upvote 0

Dionysiou

Feb 2, 2010
Narnia
✟10,488.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I agree, everybody would cease to exist without God. If we derive our soul, body and life from Him then it is a part of Him. This would also imply that God judges parts of Himself, sends parts of Himself to hell and ultimately died on the cross for Himself, because nothing that exists is apart from Him, otherwise it would cease to exist. Sounds strange but i don't see a flaw in that logic.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are several meanings to Jesus' death in the New Testament, especially in Paul. Yet the Western church has focused on it being the sacrifice of an innocent victim to appease the Father, an idea which originated with Anselm. The church fathers wrote that Jesus offered himself up willingly to death itself, not to an angry God.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the Western church has only focused on it being the sacrifice of an innocent victim to appease the wrath of the Father, an idea which originated with Anselm, not with the Bible.

Have you really studied the OT sacrifices? Has the Spirit really shown you much about them? "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 1 Cor 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth."

I'm not up on my Anselm, but I'm pretty sure Paul pre-dates him

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

In the New Testament, Jesus offers himself up willingly out of love and compassion for the world. In Anselm and Western theology since him, Jesus is offered to appease the wrath of the Father.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

There is no compatibility between pantheism and orthodox Christianity. Run don't walk away from anyone suggesting otherwise.

Also, it's true that Christianity is more than just believing in doctrines now for the sake of heaven later. Through our resurrected life in Christ, we are actively engaged in the process of sanctification, which is life-long. To illustrate, Luther identified three kinds of righteousness in the Christian life, which are well discussed here by a Lutheran pastor. To summarize the pastor's thoughts, the three kinds of righteousness are:
  • Civil righteousness – secular righteousness performed for improving society
  • Passive righteousness – or the righteousness of Christ that we receive by faith
  • Active righteousness – good works which are part of sanctification but which flow from passive righteousness. Only the Christian can have this fruit of Spirit or active righteousness. The all important point made by the pastor is that "...'active righteousness' is the sort of good deed, i.e. sanctification (if you will), that only a Christian can do. It proceeds from passive righteousness, but never determines or creates passive righteousness."

Upvote 0

Lisa*Lisa

His Servant
Mar 7, 2010
✟17,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yoder777, stop reading the teachings of man, and just open up your bible from page 1 and start reading. Pray constantly for understanding, and He will give it to you.

You do not need to read other people's books to find God, you need to read His book, the one that He wrote, as that's the ONLY one that will show you the truth and answer all of your questions.

Don't search for Him in theologies of man, man has always failed, and will continue to fail.

Read His word, and start to pray heavily, constantly, and with a sincere and humble heart and He will answer you.

I too went on a life long quest to find God, looked everywhere, read every book written by man, was facinated by the theologies of the world, dabbled in many different things. And guess what happened? These things lead me far away from God! I was focused on everything except for His book and talking with Him through prayer and that's when I started to get to know Him and built an intimate relationship with Him, just Him and me. No books, no church, no teachings of man, just me and Jesus.

When I finally figured that out, I found the truth.

Don't let the teachings of the world entice you and tickle your ears with interesting concepts. We are not a god, we will never be a god. We are servants of the Most High, and be willing and happy to serve with a humble heart. Dont' seek a higher position, or you just might loose your position all together. Be satisfied to be the lowest, seek to be the lowest........humility and love is the key.

Don't make the same mistake I did by allowing yourself to be a leaf blowing in the wind, enticed by fanciful teachings of man. God came to save us from sin, so that we can enter and have a place in His kingdom. It really is that simple.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7519465/

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"God became man so that man could become god" doesn't mean becoming God in the literal sense, but in becoming one with God through being satisfied to be the lowest, seeking to be the lowest, with humility and love, by following the example of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind-A New Perspective on Christ
http://books.google.com/books?id=bJ...&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

One of the main ideas of this book is that it's a mistake to see the incarnation primarily through the lens of sin and redemption. The main purpose of the incarnation is to bridge the gap between human and divine, enabling a relationship with God and a revealing of his love that wouldn't otherwise be possible. There were church fathers who wrote that, even if man hadn't fallen, God would have needed to become incarnate for man could become one with him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Actually, I think it can look that way; but that is because charity is considered to be part of the "way of living" the Christian life. I've been active on the 'missions committee' in two Parishes now. In both cases, when asking for recommendations and information on local and international efforts to support, Church members would tell of places where they helped (often, by the time we asked, they had been helping for decades !). Organized efforts at the Parish level are more recent although in the GOC, Philoptochos (the official charity organization) and Church related organizations (Daughters of Penelope, AHEPPA) have been active for generations.

It is not that there is an absence of charitable activity, in fact on an individual level exactly the opposite is true; it just is not well "advertised".

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't mean at all to disparage Eastern Orthodoxy, which I believe has made great contributions to theology, iconography, liturgical music, etc. I simply believe that, if we were to go back to the original message of Jesus, we'd probably be Anabaptists, even though I am not one myself.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anabaptists? HARDLY.

Please consider the following...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

That's ok, I just wanted to correct a misperception. And I thought to add another example: during the fasting periods, we are to increase almsgiving and charitable acts. That is, once again this is an expected part of the Christian life.

Btw, I used to attend a Mennonite Church. My grandfather was a (lapsed) Mennonite, and many friends and acquaintances of mine are Mennonite.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that an advantage of not being exclusively committed to one Christian tradition is the ability to synthesize several streams of Christian thought into an integrated whole. Not one Christian tradition has a monopoly on truth and we can gain in learning from a variety of perspectives. In the words of the Puritan father John Robinson, "God has yet more light and truth to break forth from God's word."

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I still say, HARDLY.

From the Book of Concord:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Since when is "Key Differences Between Evangelicals and Anabaptists" the infallible word of God?

I was making a point.

It's called a source for what the Anabaptists did. Read what the Anabaptists did at that time. Tell me that what is above is found in scripture. That you can be divorced because of faith differences...that's not Biblical. That is what the Anabaptists taught. Separation because of faith differences is one thing, divorce is another. That is completely contrary to the message of Jesus.

What about:
That Christ did not assume His flesh and blood of the Virgin Mary, but brought them with Him from heaven. That He is not true, essential God either, but only has more and higher gifts and glory than other men.

Upvote 0