newburgh
✟115,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Genesis 22, God puts Abraham to the test. In Verse 2, He says to Abraham to take his son Isaac, his only child whom it took many years before a child was born to him and his wife Sarah, to a certain place to sacrifice him. In the ensuing Verses it’s written that just as Abraham was about to stick his knife into his son, an angel of the Lord intervened, telling him not to lay a hand on his son.

Abraham puts his knife away, and the angel explains in Verses 16-18 that the Lord now says that because Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son for Him, “I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”

By virtue of Jesus saying to his disciples to spread the Word of God that whoever believes in Him through Jesus will be saved, Galatians 3:29 establishes that for those who so believe in Him through Jesus, they become heirs to the Promise God made to Abraham in Genesis 16-18. Within Hebrews 6:13-18 is also mentioned that God fortifies His Promise to Abraham with an Oath. This is found in Genesis 22:16. The two things that coming from God are unchangeable, the Promise and the Oath, are what seals the deal for Abraham and his people, and anyone who is in Christ Jesus.

And as Galatians 3:28-29 implies, there is no distinction as to who is considered in Christ, including Jews, though the Promise made to Abraham was already guaranteed for them. Perhaps these Verses are what triggered a centuries-old misunderstanding as to the Jews’ place in the world in terms of God, as various attempts have been made to convert the Jews to Christianity. Many of the Jews converted as a necessity for saving their lives from those who would kill them for not converting. And those who continued to practice as Jews, and who weren’t killed, were marginalized and disenfranchised.

It can be said that it was, ironically perhaps, due to Galatians 3:28 which holds that even Jews are in Christ Jesus, some have used this passage to declare open season on Jews who, by the way they worship, are not seen as being in Christ Jesus. Another irony is that God’s Law is the same Law for Jews and Christians. At the end of the day, Jews have been ostracized for essentially abiding by the ceremonial part of the Law and the traditions. Other than that, there is no difference between the God that Christians worship and the God that Jews worship; there is only one God of the universe.

Christians have the Psalms in the New Testament. The first Verse of Psalm 133 says, “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!” Are those who believe in God not “brothers”? God’s Oath and Promise made to Abraham applies to all “brothers.”

Truth_love

Jul 16, 2023
Africa
✟12,053.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great piece. Thanks! It is important for us as Christians to keep our focus on the Lord Jesus, the Author, and Finisher of our faith, not Abraham. Even Abraham demonstrated to us, through his exemplary life, how to keep our focus on the Lord Jesus. Therefore, what binds us together as one (brethren) is our belief in the Lord Jesus as the Messiah (Savior and Lord), and not in Abraham, or the promises made to him by God.
"They said to Jesus, “Now we know that you have a demon in you! Even Abraham and the prophets died. But you say, ‘Whoever obeys my teaching will never die.’ 53 Do you think you are greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died, too. Who do you think you are?” Jesus answered, “If I give honor to myself, that honor is worth nothing. The One who gives me honor is my Father, and you say he is your God. You don’t really know him, but I know him. If I said I did not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him, and I obey what he says. Your father Abraham was very happy that he would see my day. He saw that day and was glad.” They said to him, “You have never seen Abraham! You are not even fifty years old.” Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!” 59 When Jesus said this, the people picked up stones to throw at him. But Jesus hid himself, and then he left the Temple.
Note that the Lord Himself said: "Your father" not "Our father". Abraham is not the Lord's father, God is. We are adopted into God's family, not Abraham's. However, we are encouraged to look to the sterling examples of Abraham's walk with God, so that we may experience the same kind of blessing from God.

Upvote 0