• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Global warming question.

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by OldWiseGuy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+9,595
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Should we use high-tech or low-tech methods and means to mitigate global warming?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Joshua0

Joshua0 Guest

+0
    My usual advise is to buy when the price is low and sell when the price is high. In this case though I advise to buy high land and sell all your low land property. This would be a real good time to sell off that swamp land investment in Florida.

3. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+775
    Baptist
    Married
    :thumbsup:

But consult geologist before you buy. Because higher land always tends to slide down.

4. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+775
    Baptist
    Married
    No. Because we cannot do that yet. It will simply be a child play.

5. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

+384
    Agnostic
    Why should we choose? Seems to me that we should use what works, whether this is high-tech or low-tech is completely irrelevant.

Or am I confused and do you ask whether we should try to mitigate global warming? Seems to me we should. We got one earth, we cannot run the experiment again.

6. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+3,240
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Both. Or really, whatever will work. If changing peoples behavors makes a difference, I think we should inform them.

But if we want to keep some of our high energy lifestyle, we will need high-tech solutions.

7. OldWiseGuy

+9,595
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    In our present economic condition maybe we can't afford the more high-tech systems. Also the low-tech approaches don't attract the interest of highly educated folks, or investment money. It looks like we've stalled out.

8. OldWiseGuy

+9,595
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    If you had to choose one, which would it be?

9. Joshua0

Joshua0 Guest

+0
    I have wondered about that all my life. When I was a kid I use to play in the area by the river where all the storm water drained. I use to see houses on a cliff that looked like they could fall if a good storm came along. As it turns out the Federal Government beginning with Roosevelt has provided money for this area to make sure it does not get washed away with erosion. In fact the last time they did a really good job and it is holding up real good now. There is a lot of money for projects like this now a days. I have a friend that worked on 80 million dollar projects on the Niagara River where he ran a tunnel machine and they were building 25 food water pipes. So high water is NO problem for the great lakes. It is very easy for them to drain off that water into the ocean. In fact people fight over that water and what it to make money off of.

So I guess here we are using high tech solutions for global warming to deal with the water. My water and sewer bill runs about $60 a month. That seems like a lot for me but it gives them the money they need to deal with all the water and any flooding. So multi million dollar projects are very common. Them old hollowed out tree trunks that they run into every now and then are just not going to get the job done of draining off all the storm water.

They have no choice. The politicians can line their pockets with money all they want. But when houses and cars get swallowed up with a broken sewer pipe, then they have to fix it. As the old times use to say: The squeaky hinge gets oiled.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
  10. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

+384
    Agnostic
    Whether a high-tech system can be afforded depends on the system and what you want to use it for. I disagree that the low-tech approaches do not attract the interest of highly educated folk, my experience is that they quite like the ingenuity of low-tech solutions. Again, it would seem to me that you tailor your choice of high- or low-tech on the particular problem you want a solution for, instead of just blindly favoring one over the other

But perhaps you have some specific examples of low-tech or high-tech solution that have been favored or not?

11. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

+384
    Agnostic
    Choosing one and excluding the other is dumb. You keep all options on the table and choose depending on the particular problem.

12. OldWiseGuy

+9,595
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others

13. eclipsenow

eclipsenow God cares about his creation as well as us.

+1,112
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married