Global Warming Denial: Is there a good argument?

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They have. The equation utilizes the radiative forcing, so you can look at other greenhouse gases like methane for instance.

Also remember H2O is a greenhouse gas, but the key here is that water concentration in the atmosphere can easily be shifted through the hydrologic cycle (you may have heard the word "precipitation", things like rain and snow). So when excess H2O is in the atmosphere it can re-equilibrate very quickly. UNLIKE excess CO2 or even excess methane.

Normally scientists characterize water as a "feedback" rather than a forcing because it can and does respond to changes in the system quickly.

It is understandable if one doesn't have experience as a scientist to be overwhelmed by the information. You can choose whatever you like, but it won't make you correct. It doesn't really sound like you are particularly familiar with the details of this topic, not everyone is. So go ahead and have your opinion as you like, but remember you should probably be familiar with the actual science before you form an opinion on it.

I am not a climate expert. I only judge by commonly available geological information. But, I think that is probably enough. When I see special data, I can recognize it.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am not a climate expert. I only judge by commonly available geological information. But, I think that is probably enough. When I see special data, I can recognize it.

Well thankfully there's a lot of geologic data in support of anthropogenic climate change. It's a great place to start. We know how the earth's climate has changed in the past and we understand a lot of the forcing functions (not all warming is just due to CO2 releases).

That allows us to understand that the MODERN warming we see is likely BEST accounted for by the human activities which not only include release of CO2 but other greenhouse gases as well as changes in land-use which affect the climate as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It would take three Mount St. Helens [like in the 80s] and one Mount Pinatubo [like in 1991] eruption every day to equal the amount that humanity is presently emitting.

How Much CO2 Does A Single Volcano Emit?

View attachment 249076

And you even said that "just a few" eruption would equal ALL we have EVER released into the air.

Laughable really.

Assume you are right, then how did we get enough CO2 for previous periods of global warming? Of course, you do not know. But that also says what you quote may have problem.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well thankfully there's a lot of geologic data in support of anthropogenic climate change. It's a great place to start. We know how the earth's climate has changed in the past and we understand a lot of the forcing functions (not all warming is just due to CO2 releases).

That allows us to understand that the MODERN warming we see is likely BEST accounted for by the human activities which not only include release of CO2 but other greenhouse gases as well as changes in land-use which affect the climate as well.

First, geological and anthropological ARE different.
Second, I am only against the CO2 model of global warming. There are other ways to make the earth warm up very fast. Think about the sharp boundary zone of glacial-interglacial change. It is absolutely NOT caused by rising CO2 on the earth.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Assume you are right, then how did we get enough CO2 for previous periods of global warming? Of course, you do not know. But that also says what you quote may have problem.

You can learn some geology, many colleges have classes available. Not all previous climate changes are due to CO2!

Take the recent several ice ages (The Cenozoic ice ages). They are largely caused by Milankovich Cycles which relate to the orbital obliquity of the earth about the sun.

In some cases climate change has occured because of changes in ocean circulation due to the position of the continents (tectonic plates move around on the globe, this is called PLATE TECTONICS.)

Sometimes, indeed, there are massive outgassing events that happen quickly like the SIberian Traps which may have been part of the End-Permian climate change and extinction event.

It's much more complex than you will find just reading Golden Books copies of "My First Geology Book".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So, anthological argument cannot be used on geological features.

Why not? If we are releasing a known greenhouse gas at levels previously unimaginable and at rates that are nearly unheard of, why would it behave any differently from other sources of CO2? We are just more efficient and effective at our impact.

We do not editing CO2 30000 years ago, but there was a same degree of global warming then.

-sigh-. Learn about Milankovich Cycles. As has been pointed out to you many, many times now not all climate change is due to CO2 alone. Please, understand that the earth is a much more complex system than you might have learned in your junior high school earth science class.

If you want to debate the topic it is best to learn some of the basics of the topic.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why not? If we are releasing a known greenhouse gas at levels previously unimaginable and at rates that are nearly unheard of, why would it behave any differently from other sources of CO2? We are just more efficient and effective at our impact.

-sigh-. Learn about Milankovich Cycles. As has been pointed out to you many, many times now not all climate change is due to CO2 alone. Please, understand that the earth is a much more complex system than you might have learned in your junior high school earth science class.

If you want to debate the topic it is best to learn some of the basics of the topic.

Juve claims to be a teacher in geology.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

It takes TIME. And we do not have the time.

Upvote 0