Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been seeking to give my life to Christ, all day, every day, for ten years. But the problem is, I don't know if I REALLY give him my life. Or am I just imagining things? Am I fake or am I real?

I can not only doubt that I have given my life to Him, right after "giving my life to Him," I can doubt I'm for real DURING the very act of supposedly giving my life to Him. WHILE I'm "giving Him my life," I can be hit with the thought(s): "You don't mean it/You're a fake/You don't really want to live the Christian life/You're just saying words."

I read someone who said that, it's not saying the prayer, it's walking in the spirit. After I have convinced myself that I have given Him my life, I, at least sometimes, TRY to follow through with what should come afterwards. Like this last Saturday night, when I immersed myself in the verse "the one who comes to Me, I will by no means cast out." I then understood I was saved. I went to church yesterday, and have been praying and reading the Bible. But, as is typical with an OCD person such as me, doubts began to creep in by this morning. So, a few times, this morning, I went back to the verse, "the one who comes to me, I will by no means cast out," and tried to give Him my life again, each time. But the doubt persists, and so I am writing this.

If one does not walk with the Lord, one has good reason to doubt their salvation. But one has to be born before one can walk. If one, as sincerely as they know how, "gives their life" to Christ, then one needs to follow up. But if doubt hits IMMEDIATELY after giving their life to Him, then one wants to make sure by going back to give Him their life again. Grantley Morris has a website, net-burst.net/scrupulosity, in which he says that people with OCD have repeated, chemically-induced false alarms in their brain, giving them anxiety attacks. He says that this anxiety attacks whatever is emotionally most important to them. For Christians, what is most important is their assurance of salvation. So, Christians with OCD have repeated, incessant doubts about their salvation.

One can be saved in a moment. I am apparently obsessed with the "moment of salvation." Right after experiencing what I THINK is the moment of salvation, I tend to doubt it was real. So, I rarely "walk" for more than seconds or minutes with the Lord, before once again doubting I am His. Sometimes my assurance lasts for a day or so. Then it goes away. Like what happened this weekend; I am in doubt again, already.

Grantley Morris says that an OCD Christian's false alarm keeps blaring, on and on. No assurance ever lasts. But I wonder: do I doubt my salvation because of my OCD only, or am I not really saved, to boot?

Like I said, I can be in the middle of supposedly giving my life to Christ, and doubt I am being for real, at the same moment. How can know I am giving Him my life, or if I just have?

Sam Davis

Nov 13, 2019
Northwest
✟9,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you are having some mental problems and your fears aren’t based in reality.

That being said I’d like to add these thoughts:

The Bible never really says to “give your life to Christ” it does say however to have faith in him and to believe in him. Praying the sinners prayer is not really how one is saved. It’s the faith that counts. Do you truly believe in Jesus Christ and put your faith in him.

The Bible does say to take up your cross daily and follow him. Maybe your daily struggle is a sort of way of doing that .

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ has promised to save us when we want to put off the world and put on Christ. Regardless of what your brain says, you want to put on Christ. So trust in His nature, not your nature. Trust that He will fulfill His promise to you. When you have these thoughts respond by praying. "Thank you Lord, for saving a sinner like me". Pray it in response to each thought. Pray it even when you aren't having those thoughts. Gratitude is an incredibly strong force of well being in our mental lives.

• Winner
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bob, below are links to some articles & a video that might help you with this struggle. I went through a similar struggle many years ago, and I found my answer while reading the Gospel of John.

Regards,

John

1. How to Come to Jesus, by Dr. John R Rice
How to Come to Jesus -- a short, simple sermon on Salvation - Sermon Index

2. What Must I do to be Saved, by Dr. John R Rice
What Must I Do to be Saved? - Sermon Index

3. articles and 1 video by Dr. Erwin Lutzer
How Can You Be Sure that You Will Spend Eternity with God?/Program 1 | John Ankerberg Show

Upvote 0