• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Giuliani's Russia/Ukraine pals arrested for illegal donation to Trump superPAC

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by essentialsaltes, Oct 10, 2019.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+23,274
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Two Soviet-born businessmen with ties to Rudy Giuliani were arrested on Wednesday on federal charges of violating campaign finance laws through a six-figure donation they facilitated to President Donald Trump’s official super PAC.

Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were taken into custody in New York, the Wall Street Journal reported. The precise charges against them were not immediately clear, but a company run by the two men, Global Energy Producers LLC, has been accused of violating campaign finance laws through a $325,000 donation to the group America First Action, as first reported by The Daily Beast.

Parnas and Fruman are central to an ongoing impeachment inquiry against Trump. The two men assisted Giuliani, the president’s personal attorney, in his efforts to dig up dirt on Trump’s political opponents in Ukraine.

Giuliani and his crew make the Watergate plumbers look like a Mission Impossible team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,745
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    John Oliver called this whole boondoggle "Stupid Watergate".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+3,306
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    I thought this was "The Stupidest Watergate"

4. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+6,414
    Christian
    Married
    He calls it "Stupid Watergate II: The Stupidest Watergate."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,900
    Agnostic
    Single
    I was going to say that the Watergate Plumbers make Giuliani and his crew look like regular plumbers... :)

6. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+6,414
    Christian
    Married
    I think it is worth noting, the money they were contributing apparently came from Russia, that were being made to advance Russian interests.

At least part of it is that they were attempting to donate money to a US Congressman, in exchange for getting the US Ambassador to Ukraine recalled. Again, remember, the money was Russian, though the indictment states, “Parnas’s efforts to remove the Ambassador were conducted, at least in part, at the request of one or more Ukrainian government officials.” The Washington Post suggests the details that were cited in the indictment indicate the Congressman was likely Pete Sessions, who lost his reelection bid in 2018.

I think it is worth noting that Giuliani, is not part of this indictment and isn't accused of any crimes associated with this indictment. OTOH, it does generate a lot of questions about Giuliani and these individuals, particularly since they were helping Giuliani's Ukrainian investigation. I do know that Giuliani is claiming he represents these men, in some capacity; though (from the NY Times): “They had a campaign finance issue,” he said in an interview late last month. “I referred them to a campaign finance expert who pretty much resolved it.”

It will be interesting to see what money Giuliani collected from these men and how it can be justified as "legal expenses," as if payments occurred to help pay for the Ukrainian investigation, it could be considered illegal campaign contributions to Pres. Trump's campaign.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. essentialsaltes

+23,274
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    "Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were detained at Dulles airport outside of Washington last night. They had recently purchased one-way tickets, according to a law enforcement source."

8. essentialsaltes

+23,274
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    "Parnas and Fruman contributed $325,000 to Committee-1. Now, this contribution was not made in their names. It was made in the name of a corporation that they set up, GEP, in order to hide that the true individuals behind the donation were Parnas and Fruman. The $325,000, one of the largest donations Committee-1 received ... in the indictment, we alleged that this was an illegal straw donor scheme," Berman said.

Individual-1
    Committee-1

Trump's #1!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  9. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+12,339
    Atheist
    Private
    This is how innocent people behave, right? Because I think I've been doing things wrong up until now.

10. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+12,339
    Atheist
    Private
    Does committee-1 mean that Donald's, uh, I mean individual-1's inauguration committee is in the news again for all the Russian money it took in? Or is this a separate legal issue for him, uh, I mean the individual?

11. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+12,339
    Atheist
    Private
    The president's personal attorney refers clients to an "expert" who "resolved" it. The people he refers are now in federal custody after being arrested at the airport with one-way international tickets.

I'm waffling between a "best and brightest" quote and hoping that he refers Donald to the same "expert".

12. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,742
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
  13. essentialsaltes

+23,274
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Former Republican Rep. Pete Sessions has been served a subpoena on matters connected to President Donald Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, two Giuliani associates' dealings with Ukraine and efforts to remove the US ambassador to Ukraine, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.

14. childeye 2

childeye 2 Well-Known Member

+1,756
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Russian money ends up getting ambassador to Ukraine removed=foreign policy for sale to Russia. I'm thinking that Dmytro Firtash is probably the conduit for Russian money, just as he was when Russia was destabilizing Ukraine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Ada Lovelace

Ada Lovelace Grateful to scientists and all health care workers Supporter

+9,130
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Giuliani has desperately attempted to minimize his connections to the four men (two more were arrested)
    but this picture speaks a thousand words of refutation to that claim:

[​IMG]

This is Giuliani with Lev Parnas last December at President George H.W. Bush's state funeral service at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. It was an extraordinarily high-profile event attended by former presidents and world leaders. You don't bring someone who is merely a professional associate as your plus one. The Bush family is rightfully aggrieved he was present, explaining emphatically that he was not invited and they had no intention of him being there. They feel it was disrespectful that Giuliani abused his invitation and brought Parnas to their patriarch's funeral.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • List
  16. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+6,414
    Christian
    Married
    The more I see, it appears that the Trump impeachment hearings will likely center more and more on the actions of Giuliani -- and that it appears that Giuliani is also likely to be indicted for various federal crimes for some of his actions with the two Ukrainians, as well as for things it appears he did in Ukraine.

17. essentialsaltes

+23,274
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    link

Lev Parnas Instagram Reveals Personal Note From Trump Thanking Him For His ‘Friendship’

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,742
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    He’s a good fella. What’s happening to him is a miscarriage of justice. He should sue.

19. essentialsaltes

+23,274
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    An associate of Rudy Giuliani -- Lev Parnas -- has initiated talks with impeachment investigators through his attorney.

The attorney, Joseph Bondy, told the team from CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" that he had sent a letter to congressional investigators saying Parnas will comply with a congressional subpoena for his documents and testimony.

Trump has repeatedly denied knowing Parnas or his associate Igor Fruman, who was also arrested while trying to leave the country last month. In photos posted to a now-inactive Facebook page, Parnas and Fruman frequently sought to tout a close relationship to the President, his family and his advisers -- including Giuliani.

"I don't know those gentlemen. Now it's possible I have a picture with them because I have a picture with everybody, I have a picture with everybody here," Trump said last month, adding that someone told him there "may be" a photo with them "at a fundraiser or somewhere, but I have pictures with everybody."

Bondy told The Post, "Any sentient being looking at the public record of the President and Parnas together — during intimate dinners, waving to each other at rallies, taking pictures together, and of Parnas's alleged involvement with the President's lawyer Rudy Giuliani — could divine that the President and Parnas knew each other."